Ashley Wagner making a statement against Russia's law | Page 15 | Golden Skate

Ashley Wagner making a statement against Russia's law

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
She's stated in several interviews (one of them being linked in the OP of this thread) on her stance and that she won't stay silent if asked in Sochi.

chairmanmao

Final Flight
Miss Wagner and her cohorts are so full of themselves. It's beyond mind boggling. She'll be in Sochi more as an activist than as an athlete seeing she is practically a non-factor in the competition.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
She's stated in several interviews (one of them being linked in the OP of this thread) on her stance and that she won't stay silent if asked in Sochi.

I think this is the most critical thing here. She is not instigating any protests or making demonstrations, but she is simply going to state her opinion when asked. She might not directly speak against the laws but she could say that two people who love each other should not be discriminated against and certainly not persecuted for doing so, no matter what country they live in.

And rainbow earrings would be for support of LGBT people, not some political demonstration.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Miss Wagner and her cohorts are so full of themselves. It's beyond mind boggling. She'll be in Sochi more as an activist than as an athlete seeing she is practically a non-factor in the competition.

So why not use her voice as an athlete to speak up? Activist is not the right word... supporter is more like it. She isn't campaigning, she is simply not exercising silence when asked about an important issue. And whether she is a medal favourite or not (and she will likely win at least a team medal) shouldn't trivialize her show of support.

I love apple pie.

I do not like Martha Stewart.

I like Martha Stewart's design sense in her magazines a lot. (Not to be a contrarian!) I also admire that when she was sentenced to prison, she actually went and served her time.

As for Ashley, I don't know why she's called an activist if she just makes a statement of support. If on the other hand she thought the Russian law was peachy and said so, would she just be a person of conscience? I don't think it's likely that she will medal because there are a lot of other skaters more promising than she (though the ice, as we frequently are reminded, is slippery). But whether she does or doesn't medal, it won't be because at some point in January she said something about the Putin law and distracted herself from her training.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
His actual words were that Russia needs to be cleansed of homosexuality. Cleansed because homosexuals can't contribute to population growth. I suppose Russia needs to be "cleansed" of infertile people and old people as well? :rolleye:

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
His actual words were that Russia needs to be cleansed of homosexuality. Cleansed because homosexuals can't contribute to population growth. I suppose Russia needs to be "cleansed" of infertile people and old people as well? :rolleye:

If this were true, NBC's reporter Stephanopoulos would have jumped onto it happily in the minute He got it. However there was none of such sort. I feel that this report sounds like the US reports on the two Russian women runners kiss on the podium - mistake - intentionally or not.;)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
If this were true, NBC's reporter Stephanopoulos would have jumped onto it happily in the minute He got it. However there was none of such sort. I feel that this report sounds like the US reports on the two Russian women runners kiss on the podium - mistake - intentionally or not.;)

Fact-check:
George Stephanopoulos is an anchor/reporter for ABC.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Fact-check:
George Stephanopoulos is an anchor/reporter for ABC.

Sorry. That was a mistake. However, the fact remains wether he was from NBC or from ABC. He didn't mention it in the report. Why would Putin want to say something intentionally make himself be seen as a Hitler?;)

desertskates

Medalist
^ Well, you can't go by anything Martha Stewart says. ;)

Huh? I think her roasted root veggies are divine! But I do think that the post nationals Ashley will show up quietly and not do anything to draw attention to herself. I'd guess she'll just focus on practicing well.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Why would Putin want to say something intentionally make himself be seen as a Hitler?;)

Is this a rhetorical question? :unsure: I'm surprised that you actually admitted that this statement makes him sound like Hitler. :rolleye: He basically condoned and called for the eradication of gays from Russia. It's insane.

And you wonder why people are outraged that the Olympics will be held here. 1936, anyone?

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Is this a rhetorical question? :unsure: I'm surprised that you actually admitted that this statement makes him sound like Hitler. :rolleye: He basically condoned and called for the eradication of gays from Russia. It's insane.

And you wonder why people are outraged that the Olympics will be held here. 1936, anyone?

No, you made him sound like it. That was not the truth.

A long with CSG's link, they were all from one source.

luckyguy

Match Penalty
I am searching the russian version of the interview. I am in doubt the translation is correct.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Theres more than enough support to make homosexuality illegal in Russia! More than enough support. But it aint happening and Putin even says Russia has no problem with gays because of Elton John concerts LOL! I saw that headline but can't find anything that supports it in the content of the interview!!!

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Theres more than enough support to make homosexuality illegal in Russia! More than enough support. But it aint happening and Putin even says Russia has no problem with gays because of Elton John concerts LOL! I saw that headline but can't find anything that supports it in the content of the interview!!!

Ah yes, the argument that "never mind our discriminatory laws... we can't have any problems with gays... we love [insert gay celebrity's name]".

And then the Bachelor calls gays perverts and claims he's not homophobic because his friend is gay. :rolleye:

They should pass a law banning the Bachelor. This TV show makes a mockery of the institution of marriage.