Ashley Wagner making a statement against Russia's law | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Ashley Wagner making a statement against Russia's law

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
It was quite clear what sky-fly meant was that Ashley Wagner did not focus on what she should have completely focused on. Instead, she has devoted too much of her thoughts on a controversial political issue. Well, it might or might not have been pronounced too early. I'd prefer to see Wagner's LP before I say anything.

The implication being that because she didn't completely focus on skating and made comments supporting LGBT people, that somehow translated to errors in the short program.

If Wagner happens to skate a good freeskate and manages to win, then should we say that's due to her speaking out against the laws? That would also make no sense.

Hence warped sense of cause and effect.

Red Helicopter

Rinkside
She really considers Olympic Games to be political tribune instead of sport event?
If person is concentrated on demonstrating one's nails she is likely to forget that the major aim of visiting Sochi was competition :)

hmm Wagner is 4th in SP,
this is what happens when you open your mouth instead on focusing on skating clean and making the team first

But if she had not spoken out she would have fallen twice and been eighth in the short program. How do I know this? Oh, it's just one of the many things I know. ;)

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
:laugh: Good point, Mathman! Clearly, speaking up was what allowed Ashley to skate the rest of her program cleanly after the error instead of the multiple errors she otherwise would have had. :biggrin:

She really considers Olympic Games to be political tribune instead of sport event?
If person is concentrated on demonstrating one's nails she is likely to forget that the major aim of visiting Sochi was competition :)

I'm pretty sure she considers it to be a sport event first and foremost. She isn't putting on some political demonstration. She will speak out against the laws when inevitably asked about it instead of choose to be silent, and she will show support for LGBT Russians with rainbow fingernails. That's all there is to it. People are really making a mountain out of a molehill here.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
If Wagner happens to skate a good freeskate and manages to win, then should we say that's due to her speaking out against the laws? That would also make no sense.

That is a complete twist. If Wagner could manage to win the National title again, she will be a "hero" in many people's eyes, And it gives her more leeway to act off the ice. If she lost her title, she'll be laughed by some at her limelight stealing comments.

World record for quickest hypocrisy?

Can't compete with you on this one. The world record is yours.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
But if she had not spoken out she would have fallen twice and been eighth in the short program. How do I know this? Oh, it's just one of the many things I know. ;)
Oh, come on, MM - if she hadn't answered the constant questions about gay rights and Sochi she would have been flawless, scored over 80 and been recognized as better than the Kween AND YOU KNOW IT. Stop telling a lie!

Seriously, this is such a stupid argument. Wagner has a brain and has experience, and is able to focus on more than one thing at a time. She had an off skate, it happens.

I seem to recall that the most recent American OGM did not win Nationals in either of the two years leading up to the Olympics.

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
Awww, that's so cute. I can see the headline a year from now: Three young lions bite head off zookeeper. ;)

well, that was the sad thing: it was his last day before leaving :cry: so he... skipped their... less cuddly phase ;)

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I seem to recall that the most recent American OGM did not win Nationals in either of the two years leading up to the Olympics.

That's true. However, without winning National title this time will make her seemed ...a little unfocused.;) Besides, no one would dare to hope Wagner could steal the OGM.

The same I can say about "horrible" law she is going to protest, really.

Exactly! Much of this uproar from the west has been built upon lack of understanding of the actual law as well as the cold war mentality from the biased media.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
That's true. However, without winning National title this time will make her seemed ...a little unfocused TO ME.;)
There, fixed that for you.

Not winning nationals will make it seem as though Wagner wasn't at her best at nationals. Any other conclusion is your own, driven by your obvious distaste for her views.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
There, fixed that for you.

Not winning nationals will make it seem as though Wagner wasn't at her best at nationals. Any other conclusion is your own, driven by your obvious distaste for her views.

You are dreaming if you actually believe that only me and a couple of posters on this forum would think so.:p

Buttercup

Record Breaker
You are dreaming if you actually believe that only me and a couple of posters on this forum would think so.:p
No, unfortunately there are other people who are homophobic or like to criticize skaters for ridiculous reasons, and they too might feel that Wagner's disappointing SP is due to her comments. Fortunately, most people at GS are not like that, and there is nothing to support your all-encompassing comment that "not winning Nationals will make Ashley seem a little unfocused".

But hey, she got a cat this year, maybe she was too focused on her cat and how much she missed him. That makes about as much sense as your explanation.

Frenchie

Medalist
That's true. However, without winning National title this time will make her seemed ...a little unfocused.;) Besides, no one would dare to hope Wagner could steal the OGM.

Well, stealing it will probably be even harder than winning it. I'm sure the security around those medals is going to be pretty tight! ;)

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Well, stealing it will probably be even harder than winning it. I'm sure the security around those medals is going to be pretty tight! ;)

That was a common expression in English but you are excused since you are from Germany.;)

Please, Buttercup. Don't lower yourself to her level by making personal attacks. You'll feel better this way.

That is a rather condescending tone from a person who is self-portrayed as a fighter for equality. What a hypocrisy!

Frenchie

Medalist
That was a common expression in English but you are excused since you are from Germany.;)

Darn. My conviction that you'd turn out to be a stand-up comedian turned out to be wrong.
I know, I was just trying to lighten the mood.
Fight on, soldier!

That is a rather condescending tone from a person who is self-portrayed as a fighter for equality. What a hypocrisy!
Nope, my bad: You're back on track as a stand-up comedian. You have to be. :laugh:
But seriously, if you feel better when other people call you homophobic, then I won't ask them not to. Lesson learned.