Ashley Wagner making a statement against Russia's law | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Ashley Wagner making a statement against Russia's law

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
You are mixing the stated and the hypocritical. It's not hypothetical that Wagner plans political statements in Sochi when she's just supposed to be an athlete representing her county. Not a political activist visiting russia who plans to skate some.

How fearful and how insane must the IOC be to DQ an athlete because they paint their fingernails a rainbow colour. Did Putin say he'd spank them if he didn't get his way?

gmyers

Record Breaker
When someone risks personal repercussions for a worthy cause we accept it as part of the cost. Liberty as never been cheap. But you sound almost passionate in your opposition and her deserved punishment and that is just sad. If you don't believe in her cause that is fine, but just shake your head and say you don't agree. The Olympics has a sad history of cynical and infamous political behavior that has been predominately about oppression. I tend to be less forgiving about that.

Athletes are not supposed to represent any cause. The Olympics is not the place for it. If Ashely wants to campaign for gay rights pre sochi post Sochi - Great. Not in Sochi during the Olympics.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Athletes are not supposed to represent any cause. The Olympics is not the place for it. If Ashely wants to campaign for gay rights pre sochi post Sochi - Great. Not in Sochi during the Olympics.

That is absolutely untrue. Athletes are human beings before they are athletes. And human beings will have opinions and causes. They are not merely machines designed to perform for the people.

Athletes by virtue of who they are or what they believe most certainly represent causes. Was Jackie Robinson *just* an athlete without any cause? John Baxter Taylor? Lance Armstrong?

Plus, I think they need to draw a line between what is and what isn't propaganda/demonstration. An athlete says "I'm going to the Olympics and every time I wear clothing, it's in support of LGBT people and against these laws." So, the athlete has to perform nude otherwise be viewed as spreading political propaganda?

What do you think athletes should do when they are inevitably asked "Do you support the Russian laws?"

ivy

On the Ice
I wonder if an athlete would get kicked out if he/she, when asked about the topic, responded "I support the law because I believe homosexuality is a sin" ....

Joey Cheek will always be one of my favorite Olympians for using his time in the spot light to bring attention to the horrible things happening in Darfur

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Scott Hamilton wore a bracelet in honor of his mom for years as a remembrance of her and a show of support for others fighting cancer. Others have dedicated programs to family or friends... showing that they're human...

I may not agree with the cause that Ashley has chosen to speak out on in every sense, but I do agree with her right to quietly show support for a community that has supported her AND that she has family and friends as members...

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
And frankly, after an athlete competes, everyone knows they've won. So if they wear a rainbow pin to show their support of LGBT people, who cares if they're stripped of a medal? They didn't cheat, they won their event fair and square. And the event will forever have an asterisk naming the DQ'ed athlete as the rightful winner. And by disqualifying the athlete, the IOC draws even more attention to their "political demonstration" than if they simply let the athlete wear their pin.

A medal is just a medal... any athlete brave enough to show support will forever live better knowing they picked human rights over a hunk of metal. The true heroes of the games will not be those who medal and submit to IOC rules, they will be those who inspire and show human qualities that exemplify the Olympic spirit of unity, inclusion, and non-discrimination.

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
Hanyu's cross

Isn't Hanyu crossing himself before he skates and V/T's Jesus Christ Superstar freeskate religious expression? :rolleye: How about when every Muslim athlete hears Masha'Allah while they compete from fans in the crowd?

I would LOVE to see the IOC attempt to strip Ashley of a medal or disqualify her (especially if she is the US champion going into Sochi) for wearing rainbow fingernails, and the ensuing media firestorm.

And if they actually tried to, I would really LOVE to see Ashley/other athletes defiantly respond, "Fine, whatever, take our medals. Everyone knows we won them anyways."

Somewhat OT, but Hanyu's crossing himself gesture has nothing to do with Christianity, but a reminder to himself to maintain a strong axis. I've seen a couple of other skaters do it as well.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Muhammed Ali after winning his gold in the 1960 Olympics was refused service in a Louisville restaurant due to his race. So, in disgust, he threw his medal (which he wore all the time) into the Ohio River, and never regretted doing so. He'd rather lose his Olympic medal than live in a country where he couldn't be served. Everyone knows he won... he didn't need a medal to prove that.

An Olympic medal, as glorious as it is, is just a piece of metal in the grand scheme of things. Nobody would ever question that you won it fairly, especially when you gave it up it for upholding your beliefs that people shouldn't be discriminated against.

gmyers

Record Breaker
That is absolutely untrue. Athletes are human beings before they are athletes. And human beings will have opinions and causes. They are not merely machines designed to perform for the people.

Athletes by virtue of who they are or what they believe most certainly represent causes. Was Jackie Robinson *just* an athlete without any cause? John Baxter Taylor? Lance Armstrong?

Plus, I think they need to draw a line between what is and what isn't propaganda/demonstration. An athlete says "I'm going to the Olympics and every time I wear clothing, it's in support of LGBT people and against these laws." So, the athlete has to perform nude otherwise be viewed as spreading political propaganda?

What do you think athletes should do when they are inevitably asked "Do you support the Russian laws?"

The question is over IOC rules and rules of conduct for athletes while they are participating in the Olympics. According to the rules political statements can get them tossed out. Wagner has said she will do stuff very political in nature which is not allowed. Attacking hosts laws is not allowed. Not one athlete in china participating in the Olympics said anything about any issue or protested anything on any level. The athletes just don't say anything. If that's repealed for Sochi it's repalee for sochi. If athletes aren't going to abide by rule 50 in Sochi then it should be repealed or they should face the concequences.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
so if she wore the rainbow earrings and nail paint as a tribute to the promise of God in Genesis to never flood the whole world thereby destroying it again would that change the whole attitude towards her choice? or would that then make it a statement against global warming?

ForeverFish

Medalist
so if she wore the rainbow earrings and nail paint as a tribute to the promise of God in Genesis to never flood the whole world thereby destroying it again would that change the whole attitude towards her choice? or would that then make it a statement against global warming?

Piggybacking off of this comment ... if Ashley's earrings and nails are in direct violation of IOC rules, should the skaters who wear cross jewelry also be booted for making "religious statements"? Religious propaganda, after all, is forbidden.

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
Somewhat OT, but Hanyu's crossing himself gesture has nothing to do with Christianity, but a reminder to himself to maintain a strong axis. I've seen a couple of other skaters do it as well.

Yes, he's picturing exactly where his shoulders need to be in relation to his hips before jumping.
It took me a while to get it, I remember being clueless at first when he'd tip "head, shoulder, shoulder, belly, hip, hip", trying to figure out what he was doing! :scratch:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Piggybacking off of this comment ... if Ashley's earrings and nails are in direct violation of IOC rules, should the skaters who wear cross jewelry also be booted for making "religious statements"? Religious propaganda, after all, is forbidden.

either way it's a circular rule... because now they're denying the athletes basic human rights...

she's not standing on a soapbox calling for the capital to burn, nor is she wearing a dress that has the words "free the gays" or some such statement... she's accessorizing with the colors of the rainbow. the only way anyone knows she's even planning on it is she said something.

gmyers

Record Breaker

No statements are allowed like that!

gmyers

Record Breaker

But everyone knows wagner is planning a demonstration in support of repealing and in opposition to the host country's laws! This is not hypothetical. No reason to bring up hypotheticals.

ForeverFish

Medalist
But everyone knows wagner is planning a demonstration in support of repealing and in opposition to the host country's laws! This is not hypothetical. No reason to bring up hypotheticals.

I didn't know this. Ashley hasn't EVER said or implied that she's planning to demonstrate against the anti-gay laws, only that she personally disagrees with Russia's legislation. If she goes to the Olympics, she'll be there as an athlete, not as a political activist. You're deliberately putting words in her mouth by creating your own hypothetical situations.

gmyers

Record Breaker
I didn't know this. She hasn't EVER said or implied that she's planning to demonstrate against the anti-gay laws, only that she personally disagrees with Russia's legislation. If she goes to the Olympics, she'll be there as an athlete, not as a political activist. You're putting words in her mouth by creating your own hypothetical situations.

She is saying she will engage In political activism. She has several things planned in order to demonstrate her political views and how she thinks Russia is wrong. That's not allowed.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Brave of Ashley to be violating rule 50: No kind of demonstration or political, religious or racial propaganda is permitted in any Olympic sites, venues or other areas.” Disqualification a possibility.

She made this statement in Sochi? What?

:laugh:

She is saying she will engage In political activism. She has several things planned in order to demonstrate her political views and how she thinks Russia is wrong. That's not allowed.

You and I must have been reading different articles. When did she she show us a bulletpoint list of her plans to unleash the Kraken? To me, she was speaking hypothetically.

ForeverFish

Medalist

Like what? If you're going to accuse Ashley of violating international laws, the very least you can do is provide evidence of THINGS SHE'S ACTUALLY SAID.

She made this statement in Sochi? What?

Didn't you know? The USFSA has called off the senior ladies' event and automatically awarded Ashley the first spot to Sochi. ;)