Ashley Wagner making a statement against Russia's law | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Ashley Wagner making a statement against Russia's law

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
What if Ashley didn't paint her nails but did something else rainbowy, e.g. a necklace that had a rainbow on it. Since she didn't mention a necklace as part of her anti-law tactics, then clearly that should be okay? ;)

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
She is saying she will engage In political activism. She has several things planned in order to demonstrate her political views and how she thinks Russia is wrong. That's not allowed.

Actually, I think I just saw her place a very conspicuous looking box in her backpack. Probably a bomb. She had this "I'm carrying a bomb in my backpack" expression on her face! :unsure: Oh, no, wait...
It wasn't a bomb, it was chewing gum. And it wasn't her backpack, it was her mouth. Oh, wait... Turns out it wasn't Ashley, but Simon Shnapir. I should have spotted the difference.
See, I can admit when I'm talking nonsense. :clap:

ForeverFish

Medalist
Actually, I think I just saw her place a very conspicuous looking box in her backpack. Probably a bomb. She had this "I'm carrying a bomb in my backpack" expression on her face! :unsure: Oh, no, wait...
It wasn't a bomb, it was chewing gum. And it wasn't her backpack, it was her mouth. Oh, wait... Turns out it wasn't Ashley, but Simon Shnapir. I should have spotted the difference.

:rofl:

Yeah, maybe Ashley just happens to like rainbows in jewelry form. Nothing wrong with that ... ;)

^ You've done it now! Don't you know the U.S. National Security Agency monitors this board (Edward Snowden revealed this). Expect the FBI to show up at Simon's door tomorrow. :)

Frenchie

Medalist
^ You've done it now! Don't you know the U.S. National Security Agency monitors this board (Edward Snowden revealed this). Expect the FBI to show up at Simon's door tomorrow. :)

I'm French, I surrender!

(when has this thread become the epitomy of OT? gmyers! stop it, you're gonna get us into trouble!)

Frenchie

Medalist
But what if she just really likes rainbows like that double-rainbow guy?

I promise I'll stop with OTs now. Just one last:
at 1:20, he asks "What does this mean?!?" I'm seriously :cry: from :rofl: I'll have whatever he's having!
:rofl:

Do you mean I should change my prediction? Looks like they won't make it to 2nd place after all, huh? Who's laughing now?!? Who's laughing now!!!

Barb

Record Breaker
about all this rainbow thing, I guess it would be in her sp, right?, I can´t imagine she skating Romeo and Juliet with her rainbows :unsure:
by the way why is the gay flag a rainbow????:confused:

gmyers

Record Breaker

What does this even mean in relation to my post? Rule 50 doesn't exist?

aftertherain

Record Breaker
about all this rainbow thing, I guess it would be in her sp, right?, I can´t imagine she skating Romeo and Juliet with her rainbows :unsure:

Well, since she's skating to Pink Floyd for her SP, a rainbow wouldn't be too out of the realm because:

http://artgluttony.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/pink-floyd-dark-side-of-the-moon.jpg

I mean, the song that she's skated to wasn't in this particular album, but one can--erm--pretend to have forgotten that.

by the way why is the gay flag a rainbow????:confused:

There have been many usages of a rainbow flag across numerous cultures, but the most recognizable in Western(?) society today is the one used by the LGBT community.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbo...C_Bisexual.2C_Transgender.29_Pride_.281978.29

The rainbow flag, sometimes LGBT pride flag or gay pride flag, is a symbol of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) pride and LGBT social movements in use since the 1970s. The colors reflect the diversity of the LGBT community, and the flag is often used as a symbol of gay pride in LGBT rights marches.
It originated in California, but is now used worldwide.
Designed by San Francisco artist Gilbert Baker in 1978, the design has undergone several revisions to first remove then re-add colors due to widely available fabrics.[1][2]

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
:rolleye:

what an attention seeker, wasn't her previous money profiteering enough already ?
I hope Gracie kicks butt at Nationals to remind Wagner that she is not all that

she is already losing steam and is worning out and the season hasn't even ended yet

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
she should know the Olympics is not the place for political or any activist related purposes
fine do it in the states but respect in host country, she only has herself to blame if she ends up in jail

is Wagner that desperate to get money and attention ?
Wagner needs to take a cue from Gracie, the real golden girl by Sochi

Frenchie

Medalist
What does this even mean in relation to my post? Rule 50 doesn't exist?
I was trying to subtly point out that we shouldn't that easily skyrocket from turning a statement like "She's going to speak her mind on something she feels strongly about" into "She has said if she goes her main priority will be to campaign agianst laws that the host has passed." That would just be putting words in her mouth.

Objectively, both the IOC rules as well as the Russian laws discussed here are both formulated to include a certain level of discernment. How could it be otherwise?
I think Putin will be eager to show to the world that his new laws aren't as terrible as the world sees them, so he'll prefer working on minimizing what his people see of Ashley's statements, rather than have her arrested and put in jail. I don't think he wants to make this an even bigger issue than it has already become.
I also believe the IOC isn't interested in making this issue important by officially sanctioning Ashley. The worldwide media outlash would be a nightmare for them. By the way, and speaking of which, the Black Power sign by the 2 African Americans back in 68 you keep as citing as an example, never ended up in any sanctions by the IOC. And that was 46 years ago, in a less PC world.

I tried to subtly make all these points while also trying to contribute to bring the level of hostility in this discussion down a bit.
If it didn't work, you know the drill:
The cuddling Lion Cubs are waiting for you! :)

aftertherain

Record Breaker
she should know the Olympics is not the place for political or any activist related purposes
fine do it in the states but respect in host country, she only has herself to blame if she ends up in jail

Excuse you, it's not Ashley's fault that you don't appreciate the beauty of colorful nail art.

Also, I used to think the same about the Olympics--that it is never a place for political or activist-related purposes, but that idea that people still believe that is so laughable. I mean, ideally, of course it's not supposed to be, but the Olympics are always, always, ALWAYS steeped in politics. It's just that everyone likes telling the athletes themselves to shut up and perform to get high ratings while officials, broadcasting companies, and non-athletes get to be the "voices" of the Olympics.

I hope NBC convinces her to wear those golden uggs again. ;)

Barb

Record Breaker

if she is so desperate for money like you say she would be making whatever but figure skating and you know it. And if someone is trying to get attention this is a good way to do it, instead of to do absurd jokes about the english pronunciation of japanese people like GG did.

Gigi13

On the Ice
Wow she's so brave, compassionate, smart and amazing person :love: :clap::agree: I'm wishing her good luck at Nationals! :)

ForeverFish

Medalist
if she is so desperate for money like you say she would be making whatever but figure skating and you know it. And if someone is trying to get attention this is a good way to do it, instead of to do absurd jokes about the english pronunciation of japanese people like GG did.

Do we really need to attack Gracie in order to prove that Ashley's not out for attention? I'm absolutely certain that Ashley's opposing the legislation solely on the basis of her own conscience, and I hope that any reasonable person would be inclined to agree. sky_fly20 is just being ridiculously prejudiced.

Gracie's tweet about Mao was an inside joke that led to a huge misunderstanding, and besides, it isn't even remotely relevant to anti-gay laws or human rights.

gmyers

Record Breaker
I was trying to subtly point out that we shouldn't that easily skyrocket from turning a statement like "She's going to speak her mind on something she feels strongly about" into "She has said if she goes her main priority will be to campaign agianst laws that the host has passed." That would just be putting words in her mouth.

Objectively, both the IOC rules as well as the Russian laws discussed here are both formulated to include a certain level of discernment. How could it be otherwise?
I think Putin will be eager to show to the world that his new laws aren't as terrible as the world sees them, so he'll prefer working on minimizing what his people see of Ashley's statements, rather than have her arrested and put in jail. I don't think he wants to make this an even bigger issue than it has already become.
I also believe the IOC isn't interested in making this issue important by officially sanctioning Ashley. The worldwide media outlash would be a nightmare for them. By the way, and speaking of which, the Black Power sign by the 2 African Americans back in 68 you keep as citing as an example, never ended up in any sanctions by the IOC. And that was 46 years ago, in a less PC world.

I tried to subtly make all these points while also trying to contribute to bring the level of hostility in this discussion down a bit.
If it didn't work, you know the drill:
The cuddling Lion Cubs are waiting for you! :)

The IOC did most certainly get involved in 1968! It got those demostrating athletes expelled from the games!

So the IOC has a choice repeal rule 50 if Ashley wagners political campaign Reaches Sochi and they plan to do nothing or actually send out letters to all athletes that political campaigns against the host country or any politics is not allowed.