Junior Ladies SP | Golden Skate

Junior Ladies SP

samson

Medalist
Didn't see a thread so thought I'd start one. Even if it means I'm talking to myself lol!

I missed the beginning, Tyler Pierce just finished skating. She ended with a really nice combo spin and looks happy with her skate. Her coach is Tammy Gambil.

Also fun to note that the arena is standing room only right now. Looks like this event is packed! Too bad there aren't more seats.

And she scored 62.38! Wow. But even that is only good enough for second, as Amber Glenn is in the lead with 63.99

These scores would be competitive with the seniors.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sadly only one of the top 3 girls will probably go to Junior Worlds.

samson

Medalist
Aaaah that's too bad. These ladies are skating well.

Ashley Shin had a very nice skate. Nice style and she did a triple flip/triple toe, but I think the toe might have been under-rotated. All the same a 57.91 so still a great score!

gottadance

On the Ice
Sadly only one of the top 3 girls will probably go to Junior Worlds.

why is that ?
Does anybody agree with me that the standard of the top 4 or 5 girls is truly excellent ? So many clean and strong triple/triples! Are any of these girls also skating the senior event - seems to me they could challenge at least to be in top 5 - 10 especially considering that they all have clean triple/triples and also in most cases a great deal of poise and presence . What do the rest of you think ?

Sochi_2014

On the Ice
:( What happened to Karen Chen? Not fully recovered from her injury?

She fell on the 3loop and turned out on the 2axel... I hope she can pick it back up for the free skate because I really wanted her to go to Junior Worlds.

Pierce and Glenn were excellent and it was funny that both of them got time violations!

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
why is that ?
Does anybody agree with me that the standard of the top 4 or 5 girls is truly excellent ? So many clean and strong triple/triples! Are any of these girls also skating the senior event - seems to me they could challenge at least to be in top 5 - 10 especially considering that they all have clean triple/triples and also in most cases a great deal of poise and presence . What do the rest of you think ?
Because most likely a couple Ladies from the Senior event will go if they finish high enough. For instance Polina Edmunds will probably go if she skates well enough and she's only 15 and was on the JGP this season. And someone else like Courtney Hicks or Hannah Miller might go too depending on how they do. Personally though if Glenn and Pierce skate like they did tonight i'd send the both of them and Polina unless Karen Chen makes a huge comeback.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
She fell on the 3loop and turned out on the 2axel... I hope she can pick it back up for the free skate because I really wanted her to go to Junior Worlds.

Pierce and Glenn were excellent and it was funny that both of them got time violations!

How long does ankle injuries take to heal?
Karen was recovering from her ankle injuries back in Nov when she had to give up her JGPF spot, i guess it must still be affecting her? It has only been 2 months.
I too would really want her to goto Junior worlds, but not if it means it aggravate the recuperation process further. Good health, long term goals should be priority. I just hope the mistake happen because they are simply mistakes and nothing beyond that.

Good luck otherwise Karen for the LP! Hope vids are available soon!

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I really want to see some videos. But I know for domestic competitions, it is unlikely:disapp:

As a skating ignoramus, I loved Amber and Brandie and weeped for Karen. After her I drowned my sorrows in a hoppy beer at Salvatores. Did not see any bright stars in jr pairs although I respect them all. Sr pairs practice went well I thought for our two top teams.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
How long does ankle injuries take to heal?
Karen was recovering from her ankle injuries back in Nov when she had to give up her JGPF spot, i guess it must still be affecting her? It has only been 2 months.
I too would really want her to goto Junior worlds, but not if it means it aggravate the recuperation process further. Good health, long term goals should be priority. I just hope the mistake happen because they are simply mistakes and nothing beyond that.

Good luck otherwise Karen for the LP! Hope vids are available soon!
Karen looked very nervy from the start, it was not a good skate, 3LZ-2T, two-foot 2A and fall on 3L, weaker spins too. Not like the usual Karen feisty performance at all.
I guess the injury perhaps still bothers her. Depend on the extend, an angle injury may need 3 weeks to several months to completely heal. can get very nasty...
Hope Karen will be okay, Good luck in the LP.

I like Taylor Pierce's SP, I like her attention to the music.

waxel

Final Flight
Jr. Ladies was a pretty good competish. Amber Glenn, Tyler Pierce and Ashley Shen were 1-2-3. I think Amber and Tyler both had 3/3 combinations? Not sure- and there may have been violations- again not sure.
There were some lovely skaters- not just the top three stand-outs.

Chris, sadly, I must agree. Jr. Pairs were weak.

It will be great to get to TD Garden. The set-up at BCEC was sub-par and was a dis-service to skaters and viewers. Very shoddy for Nationals.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
i think Chen might be out of it sadly if there is just one spot with two seniors going to junior worlds if this happens.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
As a skating ignoramus, I loved Amber and Brandie and weeped for Karen. After her I drowned my sorrows in a hoppy beer at Salvatores. Did not see any bright stars in jr pairs although I respect them all. Sr pairs practice went well I thought for our two top teams.
Maybe if you drank some more things would look more bright :) lol. Remember they are juniors for a reason - usually.

I wonder whether the level really was that high or whether all those Lv4 calls were generous. Incredible technical content from the top 4. Wow!

I hope Chen can fully recover from her injury by next season (and that USFS is smart enough to select her for JGP again, if she's in good enough shape).

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
I'm sure Karen was disappointed but according to the IN article, she's only been training for three weeks, and just started training triples last week.

If she doesn't rebound in the FS then she shouldn't be sent to junior worlds. I honestly think she has a great shot a medaling if she's in form; but if she isn't in form there's no need to send her and allow her to hurt her reputation by performing badly. Better to sit it out and take another run at the JGP next year. She's a whole package skater (jumps, spins, artistry, "it" factor) so I'm sure the USFSA will give her spots on the JGP again.

SimplyAFan

On the Ice
I'm sure Karen was disappointed but according to the IN article, she's only been training for three weeks, and just started training triples last week.

If she doesn't rebound in the FS then she shouldn't be sent to junior worlds. I honestly think she has a great shot a medaling if she's in form; but if she isn't in form there's no need to send her and allow her to hurt her reputation by performing badly. Better to sit it out and take another run at the JGP next year. She's a whole package skater (jumps, spins, artistry, "it" factor) so I'm sure the USFSA will give her spots on the JGP again.

:thumbsup: She's young and has a few years of junior worlds eligibility. It's probably best for her to recover fully.

SimplyAFan

On the Ice
Here's my thoughts on Junior Worlds:

I want to see true juniors go to junior worlds. The one exception being Polina Edmunds, depending on her placement among the senior ladies at nationals. If she skates well and places well in a competitive field, then send her to 4CC (or olympics if she legitimately earns the third spot, long shot i know). If she doesn't place as well, send her to JW. She competed junior for most of the season anyway, so it would be easier for her to transition back to her junior FS than the other seniors.

At this point, Hannah Miller is a senior skater to me. Her poor performance at her 1 JGP assignment this year was due to injury. I think we'll be seeing a new Hannah when she skates in Boston. I'd love to see her get 4CC. Remember, the US is not going to send its top skaters to 4CC and Sochi, so 4CC should be used to give the next tier of skaters experience at a senior ISU championship.

Hicks, also a senior skater at this point. No reason I see to send her to a junior competition.

I'm waiting to see how the junior ladies FS plays out, but assuming the top 4 remain the top 4, I'd say send at least 2 of them to JW to challenge the Russians (which maybe they could... would have been interesting to see how Glenn would have fared if she had been given a second assignment).