Senior Men SP | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Senior Men SP

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
If there's a Skategod, Jason will ditch that ugly ponytail next season. Not cute anymore.

Sorry. Still cute.

I think the judging was fair. I'd probably have Joshua Farris a couple of points higher, but I'm not sure what level his step sequence got because of his bobbles.

Josh's StSq was level 2.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Men SP Results: http://www.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2014/2014_us_fs_champs/results.html

1 15 Jeremy Abbott, Detroit SC 99.86
2 2 Richard Dornbush, All Year FSC 92.04
3 9 Jason Brown, Skokie Valley SC 87.47
4 17 Max Aaron, Broadmoor SC 86.95
5 16 Joshua Farris, Broadmoor SC 78.37
6 14 Adam Rippon, SC of New York 77.58
7 5 Douglas Razzano, Coyotes SC of Arizona 75.18
8 12 Ross Miner, SC Of Boston 71.94
9 7 Brandon Mroz, Broadmoor SC 70.57
10 19 Grant Hochstein, SC of New York 64.62
11 18 Lukas Kaugars, Broadmoor SC 64.57
12 8 Stephen Carriere, SC Of Boston 64.42
13 10 Timothy Dolensky, Atlanta FSC 61.76
14 4 Keegan Messing, Alaska Assoc of Figure Skaters 61.15
15 3 Sean Rabbitt, Glacier Falls FSC 60.58
16 1 Philip Warren, All Year FSC 55.80
17 6 Scott Dyer, Brooklyn FSC of Ohio 55.78
18 11 Daniel Raad, Southwest Florida FSC 52.98
19 13 Robert Przepioski, Rochester FSC 47.00

Icey

Record Breaker
As an aside: MAX FIXED HIS HAIR. THERE IS A SKATEGOD.

You noticed too. That flip was just too much. He looks very nice now and he does have nice hair when styled well.

I wish Jackson would do something to his hair and omg that costume he's wearing, BUT the beauty of his skating makes those things less distracting.

OMG, I've always liked Michael Weiss but he must have gotten his degree in commentary from Scott Hamilton College.

I wonder if Adam will change coaches again.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
You noticed too. That flip was just too much. He looks very nice now and he does have nice hair when styled well.

I wish Jackson would do something to his and omg that costume he's wearing, BUT the beauty of his skating makes those things less distracting.

Of course I notice Max's hair. :p

At least this year's costume for Jason is better than last year's. Well, I assumed you were talking about Jason; there's no "Jackson" in the men's that I can see ;)

Still like his ponytail.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
Since we're discussing hair . . .

My 11 year old stepdaughter has huge crushes on Adam R, Brandon M, & Josh F. Doesn't feel it for Max, interestingly. and all 3 of my kids just adore Jason Brown. I wish we could hire him as a babysitter as I think he'd be awesome!

Icey

Record Breaker
It's 2:30 am. After all the struggles with the site last night, I thought I would just come on after the rush. Yes, I meant Jason. Don't know where Jackson came form. lol
The lateness or earliness of the hour is my excuse. lol

I was disappointed Stephen Carriere didn't do better. Abbott was amazing.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Since we're discussing hair . . .

My 11 year old stepdaughter has huge crushes on Adam R, Brandon M, & Josh F. Doesn't feel it for Max, interestingly. and all 3 of my kids just adore Jason Brown. I wish we could hire him as a babysitter as I think he'd be awesome!

Your stepdaughter likes both Josh and Jason? She already has impeccable taste!

Judging by his interactions with Kori's daughters, I think Jason would make a fabulous babysitter for anyone. ;)

It's 2:30 am. After all the struggles with the site last night, I thought I would just come on after the rush. Yes, I meant Jason. Don't know where Jackson came form. lol

And quite a fair one :laugh: Fortunately, the Men's SP started at exactly midday on a Saturday here; I got to make lunch (did it during the break between group one and two) and sit down with my laptop and do absolutely nothing other than watch skating.

The long program will not be so friendly...

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
Your stepdaughter likes both Josh and Jason? She already has impeccable taste!

Judging by his interactions with Kori's daughters, I think Jason would make a fabulous babysitter for anyone. ;)

And quite a fair one :laugh: Fortunately, the Men's SP started at exactly midday on a Saturday here; I got to make lunch (did it during the break between group one and two) and sit down with my laptop and do absolutely nothing other than watch skating.

The long program will not be so friendly...

She does! She acknowledges that Jeremy is handsome, but he seems "like a man." Which he is! :)

That's just what we were thinking as far as Jason with Kori's daughters! Did you see him sing Little Mermaid songs with Michael Buckley tonight?

Karne, I need to go to bed now as it is almost 3 am where I am but I am so high from Jeremy and Jason's great performances that I don't know if I can sleep! :)

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Looks like it is a battle between the top four. So the drama is can all four skate well in teh free skate. EVen with a big crash one would think Abbott has enough to hold on to one spot so there is one left. Jason Brown has to land everything as he doesn't have a quad and his 3A is maybe as reliable as Chan's which isn't that great (maybe Jason's might be better but not much). Dornbush's sp was charming but his lp requires a longer period of skating by nature and that may not be so charming. Max has the goods; not sure if him trying to be more "artistic" with going with the classical music selections was so wise as it doesn't really seem to be him. It's like Elvis skating to Swan Lake.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist

I was disappointed Stephen Carriere didn't do better. Abbott was amazing.

Icey, I am happy to see you on here! I was disappointed also re Carriere. He is such a lovely skater.

I'm wondering where Jeremy's biggest fan (other than me of course :)) is- sweetskates!

seniorita

Record Breaker
Woke up , saw Abott's score and then his jump layout, then I pinched myself to see if I m awake!I m so thrilled Jeremy hits these Sps when it counts!!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Thank you very much! I'm subscribing to icenetwork but some of it confuses me. I'm also a little confused about the schedule of remaining events. I know IN will not broadcast some things until they're shown first on NBC.

On Saturday and Sunday, your IN subscription allows you to see live streaming of the following groups (which skate BEFORE NBC live televised coverage of later groups).

Saturday, Jan. 11 (TD Garden)
11:30 a.m. - Senior Pairs Free Skate (Group 1)
12:45 p.m. - Senior Free Dance (Groups 1 & 2)
6:45 p.m. - Senior Ladies Free Skate (Group 1)

Sunday, Jan. 12 (TD Garden)
12:50 p.m. - Senior Men's Free Skate (Groups 1 & 2)

Source: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2014/01/02/66219676/2014-us-championships-viewers-guide

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
What's the strategy for Adam now?

He gotta know that he'll need 2 quad lutz and 2 quad toe and 1 triple axel and hope at least half of them stick for him to come close.

4Lz
4Lz-2T
4T-3T
4T
3A
3Lz-2T-2Lo
3F
3Lo

Ball to the wall moment. Nothing to lose. I hope he goes for broke because playing it safe isn't going to make it at this point.

Are you absolutely nuts? 4 quads? Two of them being quad lutzes?

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Are you absolutely nuts? 4 quads? Two of them being quad lutzes?

LOL. Look at the username. Of course this person has 'different opinions'. Makes the world go round... LOL, yes I am counting on Rippon doing 4 quads, two in combination plus a 3xal. Flattfan is an idealist? Is that what they say these days?

As for the hair situations: 1. Jason Brown- Hmm, I'd say let it be. But I used to have my hair grown out almost as long, and it emphasized my similarly strong facial features, maybe not to my best. I have buzzed my hair for years and it actually softened my face, but heck it works for him now, so leave it. Could he put it up in a bun? (I did with no scrunchy either!). 2. Max-- I liked his old wild hair. He seems like such a fun person to be around. He's now down to conservative hair and plunging necklines (??) 3. Jeremy- before I saw the video and someone commented on his bad hair I was getting nervous since his hair this past summer was quite unfortunate. Not too bad, no problem, but I'd like less on top or more on the side/back. 4. Adam-- why he EVER cut off those beautiful locks is beyond me. I mean, do you ever want to see Gwendal Piezerat with a buzz cut???

And since I've covered the more serious issues, I will now go to bed.

SaraM

Final Flight
Country
Norway
What IN is not showing the entire competition live? So if its geta aired live on nbc i cant watch the ladies free tonight live on IN? Im not in the states so no nbc

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
So I ended up shooting the bull with the hotel front desk night staff, so I'm still awake. Anyway, some thoughts + observations.

* A statistical fun note that I just noticed: Jason Brown scored +3 across the board for his step sequence and the only man to get a whole row of +3s. Jeremy Abbott came close with his step, but one judge gave him +2 instead. So I guess in a way, he managed to beat Jeremy in one aspect, LOL.
* Most of Team Brown was directly across from me in the arena. I could see the shirts quite nicely. There were a few others scattered throughout the arena. They were a cheerful and enthusiastic bunch for just about every skater there, not just Jason.
*I had ended up chatting up with these two guys on the subway on the way back to my hotel after the free dance and then during the ice resurface during this SP, I was about to leave to do a quick walk and it turns out they were in the seats almost across from us! So we ended up having a nice conversation. Actually, that's been a really fun thing about being here, the random conversations.
* There were also two really nice older women who were in our row and they didn't know much about COP, so I ended up playing score predictor for them through the SP. They were entertained by the fact I was attempting to do this. And it was a pretty fun exercise for me. It was fun to explain to them why I thought one skater was over another. It helped that the judging was pretty spot on tonight so I didn't have to come up with incredible theories, but could point to specific things.
* The 3A in Jason's program happens to be choreographed right in front of my section, so when he practiced his 3As during warm up, he would do them right up front of me! It felt like I was attending the Jason Brown 3A clinic: "Look ma, I got the triple axel!" And he did several of them well, didn't miss a beat. Glad he didn't leave it behind in warmup.
* So Keegan didn't have the best performance today. But I think what made it quite unfortunate that basically instead of starting right away, the audience kept yelling for him to get something, so he ended up playing the "where is the thing on the ice" game for at least a minute or so. I don't know if that would proved to be distracting and it was sort of a fun moment when he found the item on the ice, but I can't help but wonder if that whole incident cause sort of a timing or mental issue.
* Sean Rabbit was very awesome and supportive of Richard Dornbush (both are coached by Tammy Gammill). As Richard started getting into his step sequence, Sean, who was going next, started clapping along quite enthusiastically and just was super excited when he greeted him after he got off the ice. It was a sweet teammate moment.
* Besides Elvis Stojko, I also saw Mark Ladwig who was sitting in my row for part of the SP. I didn't get a chance to talk to him, but still fun to see the other half of Evora/Ladwig (obviously we've seen plenty of Amanda due to her coaching role).
* Your can tell the audience was pulling for Jeremy to have his big moment. Like the reaction around me when he hit the jump wasn't just like "Oh that was really good." but "Oh that was really good AND OMG I WAS A BUNDLE OF NERVES AS YOU ENTERED THE JUMP SO I'M GLAD YOU KILLED IT!!!" The body language and occasional shrieks is how I came to this conclusion....
* Standing ovation count: 3 (Richard, Jason and Jeremy)
* More on individual skates later, but obviously the top 5 all turned in solid performances, but I also really enjoyed Lukas Kaugers SP. I also liked Ross' SP despite the big errors. He has really excellent basics that aren't quite apparent when you watch on screen.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
What a beautiful saturday morning... I just can't believe my eyes... So excited for Jeremy :bow:

Thanks for the videos :)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
What IN is not showing the entire competition live? So if its geta aired live on nbc i cant watch the ladies free tonight live on IN? Im not in the states so no nbc

IN will live stream only Group 1 for the Ladies FS.

(I've edited my post [#155] above, but sorry, the answer remains the same. And the other disciplines also are divided btwn IN live streaming and NBC live televised coverage.)