Senior Men SP | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Senior Men SP

Trewyn

Medalist
That's why you should NEVER get IN if you're not in the States. Total rip-off. I'm not going to pay 50 dollars or something to watch the US Nats SHORT programs live.

So happy for Jeremy! Devestated for Adam :( So Icedesk mentiond he had a flu? And might have been influenced by Ashley having problems?? Now I really hope his placement won't affect Ashley :(

Since there is probably no hope for Adam, I'm rooting for Brown to get the second spot (Jeremy appears to be a lock at this point - yay!).

mirai4life

1Lo <
Record Breaker
What IN is not showing the entire competition live? So if its geta aired live on nbc i cant watch the ladies free tonight live on IN? Im not in the states so no nbc

Don't worry, there are millions of NBC livestreams. It's a national channel in America.

Stick to the LP thread, i will find and post links to streams tomorrow.

It's ridiculous that IN is not showing the ladies LP full on their site, though..... I mean people pay for their subscription.

samson

Medalist
3. Jeremy- before I saw the video and someone commented on his bad hair I was getting nervous since his hair this past summer was quite unfortunate. Not too bad, no problem, but I'd like less on top or more on the side/back.

I simply MUST disagree. While I warrant his summer look probably doesn't work for skating competitions, I like the buzzed on the side, and where he did the fade was well placed... plus the skrillix design was great! His hair looks good now too, probably a little more appropriate for an olympic figure skater.

I like Max' hair too. The wildness of the old cut was a lot of fun, this has more polish while still feeling very Max.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Anyway, some thoughts + observations.

* The 3A in Jason's program happens to be choreographed right in front of my section, so when he practiced his 3As during warm up, he would do them right up front of me! It felt like I was attending the Jason Brown 3A clinic: "Look ma, I got the triple axel!" And he did several of them well, didn't miss a beat. Glad he didn't leave it behind in warmup. ...
* Standing ovation count: 3 (Richard, Jason and Jeremy) ...

Thx for all your notes, Mrs. P. Loved the part about Jason's triple axel "clinic." ;)

Now about the standing Os:
I believe I heard at least three separate times on IN that Max also got a standing ovation. (I think Weiss said so right after Max's program; Belbin said so as she was interviewing Max; and then Weiss or someone else said so again during the Ice Desk panel discussion of the Men's SP.)
I hope the IN folks were correct.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Thx for all your notes, Mrs. P. Loved the part about Jason's triple axel "clinic." ;) I was not aware of the Team Brown shirts :cool: -- will have to look for a photo.

Now about the standing Os:
I believe I heard at least three separate times on IN that Max also got a standing ovation. (I think Weiss said so right after Max's program; Belbin said so as she was interviewing Max; and then Weiss or someone else said so again during the Ice Desk panel discussion of the Men's SP.)
I hope the IN folks were correct.

Now that I think about it, Max did get one. I think I need to go to bed now. Going to try to catch the men's practice tomorrow!

And before I sleep for two hours, here's a Team Brown photo, courtesy of our friends at @BOS2014 Twitter account:

https://mobile.twitter.com/BOS2014/status/421833140466757633/photo/1

Boston 2014
@BOS2014
If you see members of Team Brown walking around- say hi! They're super friendly! #boston2014 pic.twitter.com/s70LcO0uQh
9:37pm - 10 Jan 14

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Yeahh spectacular sophisticated mature skate from Jeremy!! Totally love it! :thumbsup: First Mirai, now Jeremy! Please have the best LP ever, you deserve a place on the US Olympic team just solely on this program! Yes for discarded veterans....season of the come backs!

SaraM

Final Flight
Country
Norway
Don't worry, there are millions of NBC livestreams. It's a national channel in America.

It's ridiculous that IN is not showing the ladies LP full on their site, though..... I mean people pay for their subscription.

Thank you! Please let there be stream! Im so pissed that i paied for IN this is crap

lady_bee

Medalist
Speaking of Elvis Stojko, he was sitting in the section right behind me! Sort of wondering why he's not at Canadians....

I am envious of you, Mrs. P!
Not only watching Jeremy’s best performance on live, but also sitting close to Stojko.

I am so happy for Jeremy and love his reaction after performance, as well as Yuka’s cool but proud smile. (I can’t believe she is 40:love:)

islandpaddler

On the Ice
Country
US-Virgin-Islands
Lordy, Lordy, Lordy. Fabulous skates from Jeremy and Jason with my breakfast. What more can a person ask for. Dornbush was good but he doesn't touch my heart like Jeremy and Jason. I can't wait till Sunday, when the free skate is on midday for me.

I am envious of you, Mrs. P!
Not only watching Jeremy’s best performance on live, but also sitting close to Stojko.

I am so happy for Jeremy and love his reaction after performance, as well as Yuka’s cool but proud smile. (I can’t believe she is 40:love:)

I was also thinking of how wonderful this victory was for Yuka and Jason. After the last two years with Jeremy and Alissa and their injuries and other problems, it must be so sweet right now to see Jeremy skate to his full potential. Fingers are crossed for the LP!

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
Wow, that was pretty awesome!
-) I have rarely ever seen such a huge, butterily landed (loved that expression I read here earlier!) 4S as Dornbush’s. Wow.
I have a question though: The single jump should be preceded by connecting steps. There was not even the hint of any connecting steps before that jump.
I mean, “National Inflation” or “message to the skater that they like him” or “message to the skater that they don’t like him” aside, there has to be some guidelines for the judges to follow, right?
2 judges gave him GOEs of +3. He also got 1x -1; 1x 0 and 2x +1.
For the jump itself, I’d for sure give +3 GOE, even if it wasn’t a National Championship. How much do I have to deduct for not even trying to do any (required) connecting steps? How is +3 even “legal”? (they can’t say sth like “I deduct -2 from a +5”!)

-) I read here that apparently, Adam Rippon is or was sick. That would explain him dropping his quad. But if he’s sick, shouldn’t he rather ask for a bye and the possibility to have a test skate when he’s healthy? (I make a difference between a 1 week flu just not allowing him to perform compared to a serious longer term injury)
I mean, this SP should have shown the judges what to expect if they did send him to the Olympics. Without even attempting a quad, his message was “hey, send me, and I’ll finish around top 15 if I’m clean! This lack of attempting a quad deprived him from the bonus a skater would get that “they wanted to go”… Besides his lower TES, he didn’t get the boost in PCS of the federation’s fave. He got less than Max Aaron! (and Abbott and Dornbush and Brown) He barely beat Miner in PCS by 0.3, who’s 8th! I’d agree that Rippon was stiff and not nearly as convincing as he’s been on the GPs this season, but that never stopped them from “helping someone out” by boosting his scores… What happened there?
BTW, his “gorgeous 3Lz” (I agree!) got only +0.5 GOE, with 2 judges giving it -1. :frown:

-) I’m so happy for Jeremy Abbott. I know it’s hard to blend out his inconsistency, but judged for that performance alone, this was one of the best SPs ever imo. His jumps looked like the easiest thing in the world to him, and the choreography was so intricate! That was simply perfect!
I read a post about someone not being a fan of the music: If you’re not used to listening to the Pina soundtrack, I could see how it’s an acquired taste, but ever since Savchenko/Szolkowy used it in 2012 (imo their best program ever), I listened to it and it really grows on you! I think it was a great choice for him – subtle, refined and sophisticated. I’d love to see him nail the FS as well, since the Exogenesis program he went back to (with some slight changes) is just beautiful.
By the way: When is the halfway point in the SP? Since it’s 2:40 long, shouldn’t it be 1:20? He jumped his 3A at 1:24 but didn’t get the 10% bonus for highlight distribution. He’d have broken that 100 wall (100.94 points) with those extra 1.08 points… (he didn’t get the 10% earlier in the season as well, I just checked!)

-) Loved Farris’ style, presentation and 3A, but I was surprised to see that despite his 2 stumbles during the steps, he got positive GOEs for it! (Christina Gao’s stumbles were bigger, but she did get -2 GOE aka 1.4 factored!)
I wonder how costly these stumbles in the step sequence are for the PCS score? I mean, lowering the Skating Skills makes sense, the overall impression goes down a bit as well, but other than that, it’s just a “reflex” from the judges to go down for every mark they give if 1 element is being missed, isn’t it?

-) I was a bit surprised to see several of you defining Dornbush as a good jumper but limited by PCS. Ever since I saw his 2012-13 SP (gotta say, the gorgeous music plays its part!), I thought he was a very artistic skater with great skating skills and speed as well as a high level of difficulty in his transitions. I thought he was only limited by his unreliable jumps… I got so used to his 2S in the SP that I couldn’t believe it when I saw that amazing 4S today!
Interesting, last season, he did a clean 4T in the SP, now he did a clean 4S… If he gets them both right in the Free, he might actually make it to Sochi! :eek: (If he does, I’d love it if he went back to his U2 SP! ;) )

Frenchie

Medalist
GS moved to new servers not too long ago in an attempt to prepare IIRC (this was after I left the mod squad)... I appreciate them not doing as FSU does and close the site down to only paying members... I know the admin was working as hard as they could on their end to get it up and running. It's not like they wanted it to go down, guys.

Thanks so much to everybody on GS
involved in trying to make this all work the best way possible! :points:

Frenchie

Medalist
Thanks miraiforlife, us legal alien foreigners are counting on you! :agree: Though “US Championship Final Groups on NBC to decide US Olympic Spots” will certainly have… quite the audience, on live streams as well, so I fear there will be some considerable freezing going on… :unsure:

Frenchie

Medalist
Just saw this on Twitter:
Men FS draw just concluded & start order of final group of 6 is: Farris, Aaron, Rippon, Brown, Dornbush, Abbott.
How does that work?
There are 19 men, so I assumed the FS groups would be 4-5-5-5, like for the SP.
According to the starting order, now it’s 7-6-6.
Is it even allowed to have 7 skaters cramped in 1 warm-up???
(since it’s the first warm-up group that has 7 skaters ranked from 14 to 19, with no realistic chances of winning anything, one of them should consider having a big crash during warm-up, so he can sue the USFSA for millions… ;) )
(whatever happened to the big clichée of everybody suing for the craziest things in the US?!? :laugh: )

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
1. Jason Brown- Hmm, I'd say let it be. But I used to have my hair grown out almost as long, and it emphasized my similarly strong facial features, maybe not to my best. I have buzzed my hair for years and it actually softened my face, but heck it works for him now, so leave it. Could he put it up in a bun? (I did with no scrunchy either!).

It seems he wears his hair differently sometimes in different situations: a bun for Thanksgiving/Hannukah/watching The Little Mermaid with Kori's daughter

gkelly

Record Breaker
-) I have rarely ever seen such a huge, butterily landed (loved that expression I read here earlier!) 4S as Dornbush’s. Wow.
I have a question though: The single jump should be preceded by connecting steps. There was not even the hint of any connecting steps before that jump.

Well, there were a bunch of threes and mohawks to get from the other end of the ice down and around into the quad. Simple turns/steps that he would have been using anyway to set up the jump, but maintaining the same rhythm of the simple edge work into the jump, no multiple crossovers or telegraphing, so I guess it could be considered that the jump is "immediately preceded" by a series of simple steps and turns.

-) I read here that apparently, Adam Rippon is or was sick. That would explain him dropping his quad. But if he’s sick, shouldn’t he rather ask for a bye and the possibility to have a test skate when he’s healthy? (I make a difference between a 1 week flu just not allowing him to perform compared to a serious longer term injury)

Skipping nationals and being named to an international team later in the season is not standard procedure -- it is by far an exception, and only granted to very top performers at the top of their game. Basically, unless you're a reigning or multiple world medalist with past national titles on your resume, no such request would be granted, and even then there would be no guarantee. (E.g., Bobek 1996)

When it comes to the Olympic team I don't think anyone except for Davis & White has the credentials to expect such consideration this year. If anyone else is not healthy for Nationals, that's just too bad.

By the way: When is the halfway point in the SP? Since it’s 2:40 long, shouldn’t it be 1:20? He jumped his 3A at 1:24 but didn’t get the 10% bonus for highlight distribution.

The SP limit has been 2:50 for about 10 years now, so the halfway point is 1:25.

I wonder how costly these stumbles in the step sequence are for the PCS score? I mean, lowering the Skating Skills makes sense, the overall impression goes down a bit as well, but other than that, it’s just a “reflex” from the judges to go down for every mark they give if 1 element is being missed, isn’t it?

There's nothing in the rules to require lowering the PCS -- up to each judge individually to decide if stumbles affected the overall performance.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I could not log onto GS last night to Congratulate Jeremy so I will do it know.
His performance last night was truly inspired technically and artistically, just beautiful.
He skated like a Champion. I am so happy for him. :bow:

Ricky and Jason were amazing too. :clap: The US men are looking very strong!

Tough skate for Adam he was painful to watch in the K&S. I hope he rebounds in the FS
but with the scores of the top 4 leading into the FS it will be difficult for him.

Good luck to Jeremy in the FS I would love to see him win his 4th National title!

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Over the moon for Jeremey. I Wish I had been in the building for that performance. He continues his trend of lights out skating at Nationals, remember 2010?
That program was a complete joy and certainly among--if not thee--best in the world right now.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
How does that work?
There are 19 men, so I assumed the FS groups would be 4-5-5-5, like for the SP.
According to the starting order, now it’s 7-6-6.
Is it even allowed to have 7 skaters cramped in 1 warm-up???
(since it’s the first warm-up group that has 7 skaters ranked from 14 to 19, with no realistic chances of winning anything, one of them should consider having a big crash during warm-up, so he can sue the USFSA for millions… ;) )
(whatever happened to the big clichée of everybody suing for the craziest things in the US?!? :laugh: )

The Men's FS groups are: 4-4-5-6, according to what I see.
I have started the Men's FS thread, and in the first post have divided the list into the groups.