Ashley Wagner's chance of an Olympics Medal after Nationals | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Ashley Wagner's chance of an Olympics Medal after Nationals

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
You are so nasty but at least you are consistent.

why should Wagner be send, she finished 4th, her making the Olympics team depends on on what the USFS wants not her current laurels
even NYTimes wrote an article about the difficult debacle of this issue:
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/12/s...-teenage-invincibility-hits-the-ice.html?_r=0

Complicating matters is that Ashley Wagner had a disastrous performance Saturday and finished fourth. She entered the competition as the two-time defending national champion, a fourth-place finisher at the 2012 world championships, the fifth-place holder at the 2013 worlds. Clearly she has been the most dependable female American skater.

Yet Wagner cratered in her free skate to music from “Romeo and Juliet.” She fell on her opening triple-flip, triple-toe loop combination jump, and grew slow and tentative. She fell again on a triple loop and landed on both feet on a triple flip.

Afterward, Wagner, 22, appeared stunned and said she felt embarrassed. “They called my name and I felt like lead,” she said. “I felt heavy. I felt nervous.”

With 182.74 points, Wagner finished a distant fourth behind Gold (211.69), Edmunds (193.63) and the resurgent Mirai Nagasu (190.74).

scooter

Rinkside
I think its really unfair and corrupt of USFS to have decided AW is going, before skating at Nationls, no matter how she performed. Polina and Mirai earned their spot. To take it away from the person that earned it and give it to AW is just WRONG, MHO.

hanca

Record Breaker
Maybe Ashley should more concentrate on her skating and less on making political statements...

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Nationals isn't the deciding competition, as much as it seems to be in many minds. Nobody said the top 3 from Nationals will go to Sochi.

Ashley had this one bad competition and I'm sure she will want to prove herself. The US should be glad that the federation decided to smartly still send their skater with the highest scores/world rank and who has consistently medaled the past two seasons.

Although I suspect that some people aren't so much crushed that Mirai isn't going compared to how much they hate Wagner and were hoping she would be left off the team. :rolleye:

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Although I suspect that some people aren't so much crushed that Mirai isn't going compared to how much they hate Wagner and were hoping she would be left off the team. :rolleye:

what a meanie
imagine how a skater feels placing in Top 3 and someone not on the podium taking his/her place
in a grand event that happens only every 4 years

Mirai is crushed, so much I wouldn't be surprised if she retires after this season
4 years is a long wait

CarneAsada

Medalist
what a meanie
imagine how a skater feels placing in Top 3 and someone not on the podium taking his/her place
Don't get me wrong, I wanted Mirai to make it over Ashley just so I could dub her the Anti-Wagner (doesn't make anything but the Olympics team while Ashley makes everything but), but Mirai hasn't accomplished much for a girl poised to win 2010 Worlds.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
what a meanie

I can imagine that's how Kozuka feels too.

Oh I feel for Mirai. But you're probably more upset Ashley IS on the team than Mirai not being selected to the team.

As continually mentioned, the US takes multiple competitions into consideration. And based on the criteria, Ashley was selected over Mirai. Might seem unfair (and unfortunately for you you'll be seeing Wagner in Sochi) but it's entirely within the rules.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Don't get me wrong, I wanted Mirai to make it over Ashley just so I could dub her the Anti-Wagner (doesn't make anything but the Olympics team while Ashley makes everything but), but Mirai hasn't accomplished much for a girl poised to win 2010 Worlds.

well Wagner hasn't medaled in Worlds either :eek:hwell:

Sacto95834

Rinkside
This must be just awful for Mirai. Say what you like and rationalize all you can, but Mirai produced at this competition some of her best skating in four years, if that isn't bringing your game to the table when it matters what is? Ashley better do well (and by this I mean bring home a medal) at the Olympics or the USFSA will have egg on their face worse than they do now.

I agree it's not Mirai or Ashley's decision, I lay blame on the USFSA for not having clear cut rules. They basically just say they take into account competitions from the previous year; what this means is hard to quantify. Does this mean if Ashley finished last at these Nationals she would be named to the team? If not, how low could she have scored at this Nationals and still make the team? If Gracie did not skate in, or finish last in all her GP events, but won Nationals, could she have been bumped off the team?

Poodlepal

On the Ice
Ashley has no chance. She will be so excited by being at the Olympics finally that she will choke in the short. I hate to say it, but that's what I expect. She will come back in the long program and will make the top 10 or top 6 maybe, but no medal.

andyjo24

Medalist
Of course she still has the chance to medal even after Nationals, but she will need to skate pristine clean and hope others make mistakes. Her PCS probably will take a hit due to being only 4th at her own nationals and losing to a junior skater who has absolutely no senior-level experience, while Akiko might receive a PCS boost for being the Japanese champion and the Russian ladies will be boosted by home inflation.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
After Ashley wasn't held up in PCS to help her on to the podium I knew that the USFSA would throw her a bone by naming her to the Olympic and World teams - but they are firmly behind Gold now for Sochi imo. Ashley's chances of medalling now at the Olympics are about as good as mine are. Gracie is the new U.S. ice princess and it is she the USFSA will be politicking for at Sochi. Jmo.

Ot, but I'm not sure sponsors like that Ashley's place on the Olympic team has become controversial. Sponsors tend not to when there is any hint of controversy of scandal surrounding the person endorsing their product. There must be contracts in place but I wonder how long Ashley might keep her endorsements if this really turns ugly leading up to Sochi?

scooter

Rinkside
After Ashley wasn't held up in PCS to help her on to the podium I knew that the USFSA would throw her a bone by naming her to the Olympic and World teams - but they are firmly behind Gold now for Sochi imo. Ashley's chances of medalling now at the Olympics are about as good as mine are. Gracie is the new U.S. ice princess and it is she the USFSA will be politicking for at Sochi.
Yet another reason she should not be on the plane to Sochi.

Icey

Record Breaker
Ashely is going to Sochi with so much baggage that I don't think she will be able to over come. Hopefully, she won't give a performance like czisny did at her last worlds, but I won't be surprised if she does. She needs to drop the 3/3. It really is hard to understand what happened.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think her boots causing blisters if that is indeed true had to cause even more anxiety. Talk about horrible timing. Boot problems are a nightmare for skaters. Kevin Reynolds lost almost of all this season with boot issues. But i think what happened in 2010 started to creep into her head also and it made her jittery.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I say it heavily depends on whether she can overcome such a setback...in such a short amount of time.

And yes, Gold has a chance at a medal...but she must deliver. She has crumbled even more spectacularly than Wagner under pressure before, so it's a toss up...