Senior Ladies FS | Page 18 | Golden Skate

Senior Ladies FS

Icey

Record Breaker
Nice gesture from Ashley. Xtina didn't have any clean jumps in that second half.

I thought that was a nice gesture on Ashely's part too, but was concerned it might put her in a bad emotional place----and it may have considering how she performed.

Yes, Sandra, always does that and I really can't stand it when she really thinks she can read skater's minds. Do like it when she contradicts mr gee weez Scott Hamilton who doesn't contribute much except to irritate. Terry is the most reasoned in the bunch. Actually, I wish they would all shut up till the performance is over.

Yeah, I wish they would have Tara and Johnny.

Although in their brief appearance last night I couldn't help going, "hey, it's stupid hair day and Johnny didn't tell us." ;)

DaveT

On the Ice
Yeah, I wish they would have Tara and Johnny.

Although in their brief appearance last night I couldn't help going, "hey, it's stupid hair day and Johnny didn't tell us." ;)

Johnny's hair and Tara's face, what has she done to it? She is too young to start with this Frankenstein stuff already, it looked crazy.

Icey

Record Breaker
Just to be clear this is how the US Figure Skating chooses its Olympic team. Multiple events are used to determine the team as opposed to the best performers ar nationals. The following events are listed in priority order:

-2014 U.S. Figure Skating Championships
-2013 ISU Grand Prix Final
-2013 World Figure Skating Championships
-2013 Grand Prix Series Competitions
-2013 Four Continents Figure Skating Championships
-2013 World Junior Figure Skating Championships
-2013 ISU Junior Grand Prix Final

Considering how many 2013 performances are taken into account, why not include Nationals 2013?

R.D.

Record Breaker
Re: Polina, may I remind everyone that Sasha's first senior international event was 2002 Olympics, where she placed 4th. She was the national silver medalist, like Polina. No reason to leave Polina off the team.

Good point made here.

No matter what decision the Committee makes, they will be criticized for it - and a Wagner selection could potentially stir controversy. Glad I'm not the one making the call, that's for sure

desertskates

Medalist
Congratulations to Gold for her win!!! I´m happy to notice though that she was not perfect, hopefully her best performances of the season will be at the Olympics!!!

Personally I would select Gold, Nagasu and Wagner to the Olympics. Edmunds is so young, she can wait four years and get more mature. No sense sending a junior skater to the Olympics without important international results in senior skating. I like her skating though.

What´s matter with Wagner??? Boot problems? How can she have boot problems in a very important competition??? Extremely bad timing, in my opinion.

I read somewhere else that Ashley's boots are new, she had expected the old ones to last a bit longer. Terrible timing, but my heart still breaks for her. I agree with your picks for Olympics, let Polina go to Worlds. Too bad, either way, one young lady's going to be terribly upset :(

ingofan1

Rinkside
Scott is so annoying I hate those grunt he makes when they jump.Why are they not using Dick Button.

Icey

Record Breaker
I've always been a someone that believes the highest place finishers go to the Olympics and from what I can remember the U.S. has stuck to that (correct me if I'm wrong) the one time I can remember was Kwan in '06 .

The only other case I can think of is with the men, when Mark Mitchell was left off both the Olympic and World teams though he place in the top three at Nationals:

In 1992, he won a bronze medal at the United States Figure Skating Championships. The US had three spots for the team to the 1992 Winter Olympics. However, Mitchell was not placed on the team due to a medical bye given to Todd Eldredge.[1] Mitchell competed at the 1992 World Figure Skating Championships, where he placed 5th, ahead of Eldredge.

He won the bronze medal at the 1990 United States Figure Skating Championships, but was not named to the World team, despite the U.S. having three spots to that competition. Instead, a medical bye was given to Christopher Bowman who withdrew from the competition with a back injury.

prettykeys

Medalist
I thought Ashley Wagner showed guts, and moments of brilliance. Her falls did not mar her performances too badly for me. I respect that she went for a 3-3 to open even if she didn't make it; she would need it at the Olympics for a chance at the podium, so good for her.

She deserves to go. I hope the team is Gracie, Ashley, and Mirai. Mirai is clearly loved by the audience. She doesn't have her full spark/effervescence back but she did have a good showing in both SP and LP.

I agree with the others that Polina looks a bit awkward and juniorish. The other girls in the top 4 have more on their resumes.

leafygreens

Final Flight
Considering how many 2013 performances are taken into account, why not include Nationals 2013?

And what exactly is being taken into account in the list of priority events? Is it highest score at any of the events? Highest placement? Sheer number of appearances?

If the latter is the case, then many other skaters would deserve to be put ahead of Polina in consideration for Olympics. I don't think Polina's inexperience should be held against her. She has not performed badly in her few junior events. It is not her fault that she is younger and has not had the number of opportunities. I don't believe that anyone who has been sent to a Senior GP event should be put ahead of Polina automatically.

Unless there is injury or something like that, nationals should be the barometer. Yes it is true that Ashley helped get the third spot, but that was a year ago. A lot can change in a year. If nationals are not used as the main selection criteria, then nationals will become meaningless. I am reminded of Sandra's comment that Jeremy has to "earn his spot" by competing at nationals. Well why have nationals then, if it's not used to earn your spot?

I felt disgust when the Canadians forced Amelie and Cynthia into a skate-off at 4CC's instead of using the nationals placements, where Amelie placed ahead of Cynthia. It seemed as though Canada was doing everything they could to get Cynthia on the team, even though she couldn't beat Amelie. If USFS does something similar, I will lose faith in the organization.

desertskates

Medalist
I will say that while I think Ashley should go, I'm worried that she'll go with a lesser sense of confidence than she's had in the past. She just seemed so, so heartbroken and deflated after her skate. I bet there were a lot of sleepless nights last night for all involved in this choice.

Matilda

Medalist
I agree with skatingfan4ever that Ashley probably wanted it too much. I really find that international experience and success in the past couple of seasons should count, however. I believe that Ashley has proven that she is right now internationally the strongest competitor among the US ladies--this was her worst competition of the year. The rules state that they consider the GP and GPF, and I really I think they should. (The whole situation reminds me of 2009 men's selection to the Worlds, where Johnny Weir competed in the Nationals although he was still weak from illness. Weir was the one who secured three spots for the US men in the Worlds the previous year with his 2008 Worlds bronze, and had, like Ashley now, placed third in the GPF. USFS chose to send the top three, Jeremy, Brandon Mroz, and Evan. While Evan did secure three spots for Vancouver by winning the Worlds, the champ, Jeremy, was 11th and the silver medalist Mroz was 9th. Meanwhile, Weir's worst Worlds placement ever was 8th, in 2007, after his overall worst season.)

As much as I like Mirai when she is her bubbly self, that Mirai has unfortunately been lost for a few years now. Even yesterday, her performance lacked spark--and the choreography is really bland. Moreover, she is so inconsistent. Maybe she has turned a corner--and I hope she has--but should USFS risk that?

Polina, on the other hand, has no international experience on the senior level at all, and cannot be compared to Julia, who had a successful senior GP season. (Also no comparison to Mirai, who had already skated in seniors the whole 2010 Olympic season.) She's very talented, for sure. And very confident--so much so that learning a little grace and humility wouldn't hurt, in my opinion. Maybe 4CCC, and if she does well there, even the Worlds, would be a better place for her to start her senior international career?

In other words, I think Ashley is a stronger candidate than either Mirai or Polina, and should go. The one who gets left out should go to the 4CCC and the Worlds.

Icey

Record Breaker
Johnny's hair and Tara's face, what has she done to it? She is too young to start with this Frankenstein stuff already, it looked crazy.

I think a doctor put too much filler in it or she just had it done and it was still swollen. Strange looking. Johnny's hair looked like a cow paddie was on top of it.

I'm inclined to send Polina instead of Mirai as the third person if Ashley is chosen. Keep in mind that for the U.S. this time around, the stakes are not that high. Unless a really unusual combination of events occurs, we are not in contention for a medal in Sochi. So this takes the pressure off our strategy makers. With that in mind, I think that sending (1) Gracie as our champ (and also as someone who's done well in the Grand Prix events this season) and (2) Ashley as our best current international performer makes sense. For our third spot, we should send someone who represents our future. Polina is a gamble, to be sure, because she could (God forbid!) lose motivation/have puberty issues/be injured sometime in the future. But she IS our future. In that sense, she is not a gamble but an investment. She is a bit juniorish, but not that much--she's not robotic but seems to have a genuine feel for the music and the pacing of the program as well as a rapport with the audience (which includes the judges). She could be a very interesting performer in the Olympics.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
I just watched the medal ceremony and the interaction between Mirai and Ashley was soo sweet:( Really supportive of each other.

Icey

Record Breaker
IMO Gracie's reign will be short lived as America's top skater with Polina on the horizon. I don't think she is going to be anymore of a repeat national champion than Wagner was. With regard to Polina though, as good as she was, she only placed fourth in her gpf and has had only one international event, the obscure Gardena Spring Festival in Italy, where she did win gold.

I think it is on to Japan for Mirai if she isn't placed on the team.

Cesario, was the great moment for me, even if she had technical deficiencies . What a Carmen she was!!!!

Wagner had a nervous breakdown on ice in the long. Reminded me of that scene from the original Ice Castles.

Mirai and Ashley were the great mysteries of the event for me. I thought Ashley would continue to have trouble with the 3/3 in the long, but omg I never expected all the other problems. Seems like it would be best for her just to abandon the 3/3 and go back to a 3/2. In fact she probably would have done better at nationals if she had done that. As to her going to the Olympics, is she really prepared for that event? Technically, Ashley even now has been left behind in the dust and I would guess this will be her last year. Getting a 3/3 this late in her career is not a good omen for any kind of technical improvement.