Senior Pairs FS | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Senior Pairs FS

rocketry

Rinkside
Z/B's elements may seem smaller, but they had the highest base value in the FP and SP, so while they may not get the same GoE, they can do well based on difficulty.

ladykk

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Z/B were 6th and 7th in this year's GP, while D/C were 3rd and 4th. With such a small margin here, I'm thinking USFSA are going to send D/C.

I would love to see Z/B go, but I think this is probably correct. The margin was so small that I'm guessing D/C will be sent to Sochi.

sweetskates1

Medalist
Amanda Evora is still better than all the pairs put together - I miss her so much! A very difficult decision ahead for the US fed. I would send D/C because they are great technically and capable of better scores at the international level. I would send Z/B because they are lovely and have shown technical skill and strength plus Amanda is on their team.
A

SaraM

Final Flight
Country
Norway
the margin is so slow because usfs gave D/C the olympic spot with that ridicolus score, this is worse than russian nationals..

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I hope L Squared don't let this disappointing long discourage them too much. It's such a pleasure to see a pair where the man doesn't lumber across the ice like a truck driver trying to beat a deadline. I think they and S/K (and, to a slightly lesser degree, Z/B) have the greatest potential to become the best all-around US pairs. It's a shame that it's now all about the big tricks. But it is what it is...

lavender

Record Breaker
Z/B were 6th and 7th in this year's GP, while D/C were 3rd and 4th. With such a small margin here, I'm thinking USFSA are going to send D/C.

edit..
I agree that the margin is low and I wouldn't mind if they picked D/C but I don't know if they will. D/C are not medal contenders but placements mean a lot internationally (worlds).

emma

Record Breaker
Wow, what a way to finish out the pairs LPs! Super fun to watch!

I'm a softy - so my heart aches for D/C, especially since the double axles would have changed things surely. But, I my hats off to Z/B and it was thrilling to see them so happy too.

noidont

Final Flight
They will send Z/B, which is a correct choice. Z/B has another four years left in them. John and Caydee not so much. All of those pairs team are non factors as far as USFSA is concerned anyway.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I say if a skater or team gives you no hope of sending 3 spots to Worlds next year and no hope of a medal, then go with who skated better at Nationals and that was Felicia and Nathan. Caydee and John are going to come nowhere close to a medal at Olympics or Worlds. They finished outside of the top 2 and therefore to be fair should not be named to the international team.

Longrun

Spectator
And that's why figure skating gets a bad rap as a sport.
Could you hear anyone saying ' Gee, they missed getting in the Super Bowl/World Series by one point.
but they were the strongest team all year so we should send them' or 'Yes I know that skier was flying
and doing their personal best, but this skier was better all year even though they fell here they should go to Sochi '.
Sports are objective values. Numbers are numbers. Even if its close, there was a team in second, and the other fell to third.
If USFS plays games with this they will lose a lot of respect for figure skating as a sport. Just saying.

Amanda Evora is still better than all the pairs put together - I miss her so much! A very difficult decision ahead for the US fed. I would send D/C because they are great technically and capable of better scores at the international level. I would send Z/B because they are lovely and have shown technical skill and strength plus Amanda is on their team.
A

Oh, man, do I agree with you about Amanda Evora. She and Ladwig were my favorite U.S. pair for years, and no recent pair has replaced them in my esteem. They had such a beautiful quality to their skating. I'm so glad they got to go to the Olympics.

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
the margin is so slow because usfs gave D/C the olympic spot with that ridicolus score, this is worse than russian nationals..

That. :thumbsup: Norway, 12 points!

shanm

Rinkside
I say if a skater or team gives you no hope of sending 3 spots to Worlds next year and no hope of a medal, then go with who skated better at Nationals and that was Felicia and Nathan. Caydee and John are going to come nowhere close to a medal at Olympics or Worlds. They finished outside of the top 2 and therefore to be fair should not be named to the international team.
I think USFSA main concern is maintaining the 2 spots it already has and who's to say that medals aren't possible at worlds? The worlds directly after the Olympics are always unpredictable.

louisa05

Final Flight
They will send Z/B, which is a correct choice. Z/B has another four years left in them. John and Caydee not so much. All of those pairs team are non factors as far as USFSA is concerned anyway.

I think so, too.

How long has it been--if ever--since the medalists were not named to the Olympic team in a situation that did not involve injury/withdrawal of a favorite?

fadeevfan

Rinkside
I think USFSA main concern is maintaining the 2 spots it already has and who's to say that medals aren't possible at worlds? The worlds directly after the Olympics are always unpredictable.

That -- and also, having the two best options for the team event (though only one team skates).

Still, hope they send Z/B!

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Is this site being slow again for anyone?

Yes, it's being slow due to US and Canadian Nationals happening at the same time. The site is having difficulty controlling all the traffic, but it is a whole lot better than Skate Canada's Nationals results site. I can't get that site to work at all!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
That -- and also, having the two best options for the team event (though only one team skates).

Still, hope they send Z/B!

Not sure what you are trying to say re the team event.

Different pairs could skate the team SP and the team FS -- if the USFS chooses to use up one of its two substitutions. (Substitutions are allowed in a maximum of only two of the four disciplines.)

:agree: Agree re sending Zhang/Bartholomay!