2014 US Nationals Senior Ice Dance FD | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2014 US Nationals Senior Ice Dance FD

rosacotton

Final Flight
Congratulations to all the winning teams! Can't wait to see D/W's performance. Wow, 200.19! Can they score higher than that at the Olympics, or have they reached the ceiling?!

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
My, this is a jubilant thread, and for good reason. What an AMAZING FD competition that was!!! I enjoyed every couple in the final group. D&W were amazing as usual, but I do prefer the blue costumes though. They were far more striking to me than the lavender ones. I"m SO HAPPY for the Shibs!!! They've had some struggles over the past couple of years but really pulled it together here. Alex's reaction was priceless. This is the first time I've actually enjoyed C&B's FD this season. It sounded to me like they substituted a different recording of One Day More where the lyrics were easier to decipher. Whatever they did, it made all the difference in the world. Heartbreaking for H&D though - they were amazing. I so wish we could have 4 spots this year. :cry:

The Pairs FS was beyond boring except for Z&B, so I"m THRILLED that Ice Dance ended the broadcast on such a high note.

Competitions like this FD remind me why I love figure skating so much! :clap:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
That was an incredible FD. :clap:

They've reached the ceiling as far as scores. Only two +2s and two 9.75's from one judge. All other marks/judges gave +3's and 10's.

Personally though, I felt more emotionally from C/B. But was enthralled the most by D/W. USA is so lucky to have such great ice dance teams!

emma

Record Breaker
Just adding to the jubilation! what an amazing final flight - I teared up, I jumped with joy, I was amazed and awed and thoroughly entertained. Fantastic.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
And the shame of it is most Americans who are casual fans of the sport won't realize just how good that final flight was. Sigh. One day perhaps...

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
I join in in the general consensus: Great FD, all top 4 should be allowed to go. :cry:
i have a real soft spot for Hubbel/Donahue and I just love their music and chemistry. I really wanted them to make the top 3, but I have to admit the ranking is ok for me.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
D/W... nothing left to say.

C/B - WOW. If D/W had not been in the field, they would have been worthy national champions.

I think they're going to be a major force in the next quad.

Really hate it for Hub/Don. There is just something about them that I find exceptional.

bramweld

Record Breaker
Please forgive me Shibsib fans; but that is the worst MJ program I've ever seen. Remember N/K? They did something decent, even Olson and Hubbell did this some justice last season. The choreography and music completely clash. I found watching it awkward. The Man in the Mirror part was clumsy. What did H/D do to not deserve going to Sochi? I need to see video. Did they make errors or something? And trust me I am not a Shibsib hater,but how did that score so high?

travelbug

Rinkside
Exactly. It's not that A/E don't have a tremendous amount of potential, but that Bollywood program was a big mistake, because Marlie's program was so ruthlessly memorable. Big tactical error.

The Shibs... I don't think it really works (it's like cognitive dissonance on ice), but it will be enough to get to them to Sochi. Dropping the Ben section for Man in the Mirror was a BIG improvement. And Alex's reaction was very sweet.

I agree...it'd have to be a phenomenal Bollywood program for that to be a wise choice in a program, especially this close to D/W's amazing and very memorable program. It'd perhaps be one thing if they weren't also skating for the US, but I'm not at all convinced even that would really make a difference.

bramweld

Record Breaker
^^That's just not cool. I'm watching it going. What? What? MJ??? Are you kidding me? This is NOT a popularity contest. It's supposed to be about dancing....*Sigh*

ghislaine

Rinkside
I'm not fond of either the Shibsibs' FD or Chock/Bates' FD. The Shibs are good performers but the decision to have a sudden slow section in between two very dynamic pieces of music is not a good one. Chock/Bates ride the music too much and their GOE today was a bit much. Both programs have either big empty spaces or spaces where the choreography (especially the required elements) don't fit well to the music. They were terrifically well skated FDs today and I won't argue much about the podium, but I do think that with the programs as they were, H and D taking the bronze medal by a point or a point and a half wouldn't have been a scandal. Maybe they should have chosen more bombastic music for the Olympic season, something that would get a real rise out of the crowd.

And the shame of it is most Americans who are casual fans of the sport won't realize just how good that final flight was. Sigh. One day perhaps...

At least we got to see it and to understand how good our ice dancers are. I'm so thrilled that NBC showed so much of the competition. This was literally the first time I had a chance to see Meryl and Charlie's short program. What a joy to watch. And then that Scheherezade...delectable. It just goes to show that even a well-used war horse of a music piece can be dynamic and thrilling.

I too was a bit taken aback by the Bollywood program. It's so close in time to Davis/White's memorable program that it looks derivative no matter how good the skating is. I wish they had made another choice.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
>>C/B - WOW. If D/W had not been in the field, they would have been worthy national champions.
Yes. Their energy was enough to get to even the farthest rows of viewers. Quite amazing!

chloepoco

Medalist
Please forgive me Shibsib fans; but that is the worst MJ program I've ever seen. Remember N/K? They did something decent, even Olson and Hubbell did this some justice last season. The choreography and music completely clash. I found watching it awkward. The Man in the Mirror part was clumsy. What did H/D do to not deserve going to Sochi? I need to see video. Did they make errors or something? And trust me I am not a Shibsib hater,but how did that score so high?

I enjoyed the Shibutani's way more than H/D and C/B.....