Kaetlyn Osmond, ANY kind of threat? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Kaetlyn Osmond, ANY kind of threat?

RABID

Final Flight
To answer the original post, no. She's not a threat, but she has an outside shot for the podium if some skaters falter. I see a top 10 finish for her in Sochi if she keeps it together.

I know it's nationals but she won with a total score of 207.28, at least comparable to Gracie's score (are these scores to be believed?). Perhaps a future Canadian, American rivalry?

EricRohmer

On the Ice
If Osmond gets the team gold or silver medal at Sochi, I think this could help Osmond in the individual event.

Krislite

Medalist
I know it's nationals but she won with a total score of 207.28, at least comparable to Gracie's score (are these scores to be believed?). Perhaps a future Canadian, American rivalry?

Gracie is also an outside shot at the podium--but she finished better at Worlds than Osmond and has the greater base value in both SP and LP, so I think her chances are slightly better than Osmond's. As for the scores, no. It's highly unlike she'll score 210+ internationally, for now at least.

Ravensque

On the Ice
I watched Kaetlyn last night at Nats. I was there and she has such charisma and charm within her skating that I couldn't take my eyes off her. If she skates like she did last night, I can see her being at least in the top 10 and perhaps even better. She's just coming off some rather serious injuries, so she has one more month to train and prepare. I've never seen any skater perform with such joy of what they're doing. That's half the battle won. I was very impressed. Oh, I think she deserved her marks. She's the real thing.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Gracie is also an outside shot at the podium--but she finished better at Worlds than Osmond and has the greater base value in both SP and LP, so I think her chances are slightly better than Osmond's. As for the scores, no. It's highly unlike she'll score 210+ internationally, for now at least.

The judges are also more farmiliar with Gracie than Osmond now as Osmond had to sit out earlier this season, which fairly or not will help.

I think Osmond is a top 10 contender for sure, maybe top 6 or 7, but not top 3 this year unless at least 5 or 6 other people make more than one mistake and she is flawless.

Fruit Loops

On the Ice
I see a top 10 finish being in the cards for her. Maybe 6th or 5th if a couple top skaters fall apart. I don't know what the next quad will bring as Daleman is nipping at her heels and who knows who else will step it up at Nationals? But I consider myself a fan of Osmond. She's the kind of skater I don't care where she finishes. She's simply a delight to watch.

I was surprised by how well Osmond skated at Nationals, given her injury problems this season. I hope she can have a top 10 finish in Sochi. I love the spark and attack she shows in her performances.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Wow, what negative thinking. Give the girl a chance. Kaetlyn is still "the new kid on the block" and was off most of the season due to injury. I believe she will skate well and will make the top five at least. Hey, no one expected Elizabeth Manley to be on the radar for a medal at the Calgary 1988 Olympics and she had the skate of her life and ended up with the Silver. Who can predict what will happen at the Olympics? Go Kaetlyn!

Fruit Loops

On the Ice
I am a little shocked by all the hate towards Osmond too. She's so new on the scene and has never said anything snotty in interviews and she's as good as any of the other top 10 skaters. I think it's unfair to put expectations of a podium finish on her but I do think she can keep up with those near the top. She doesn't seem out of place. Top 10 is definitely doable. I'd predict a 7th place for her if she skates clean and most of the other top skaters skate clean too (who wants the Olympics to be a splat fest?) I think she'd need help to get to top 5 but someone usually implodes at the Olympics, so who knows?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

SHORT PROGRAMS
Gracie GOLD 72.12 40.34 31.78 7.93 7.61 8.29 8.04 7.86
3z+3t, LSp4, FCSp4, 3lo, 2a, StSq4, CCoSp4
Kaetlyn OSMOND 70.30 33.12 7.97 8.08 8.53 8.32 8.50
3t+3t, 3f, LSp4, 2a, StSq4, FSSp4, CCoSp4

Osmond's PCS scores are far more inflated and unrealistic than Gold's.

FREE SKATES
Gracie GOLD 139.57 71.27 68.30
3z+3t, 2a+3t, 3lo, 3fe (hd), 3z, 3s+2t+2t, 2a
three L4 spins
L3 fw
ChSq=3.50
PCS=8.43 8.21 8.75 8.68 8.61

Kaetlyn OSMOND
136.94 68.54 68.40
3f+2t, 2a+3t-so, 3z, 3s-so, 3f, 3t+2t+2t, 2a
three L4 spins
L4 fw
ChSq=3.98
PCS=8.29 8.33 8.63 8.75 8.75

Gracie's layout has 7 triples, Kaetlyn's 6.
Gracie gets 2nd half bonus points on 3f, 3z, 3s+2t+2t and 2a
Kaetlyn gets 2nd half bonus points on 3f, 3t+2t+2t and 2a
Kaetlyn had two stepouts and Gracie one hand down.
Both have greatly exaggerated PCS scores

shine

Record Breaker
Can we put in a few nice words for a skater who has come back from an injury, which almost put the Olympics in question, hasn't skated an international competition all season, then skated as well as she did at the most important selection event before the Games?

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I thought she did very well - skated with energy, pizzaz. I don't think she is as polished or as good as Gracie but she has a rare kind of spunk and pluckiness and her tech skills aren't bad at all. Top ten is doable and higher if someothers make mistake. She needs to get healthy but she did mighty fine even if she was not injuried or coming back from injury. I thought she did an amazing job at nats and was very comparable to the top Americans and even the russians

SkateToronto

On the Ice
I don't put much credence into scores from the nationals. I thought Kaetlyn skated well and has a natural charm to her, but I don't think she has the skill or the programs to make it to the podium. FWIW, I don't see any of the American ladies winning a medal either, but I'd give Gracie and Ashley a better chance than Kaetlyn.

Kaetlyn should be aiming for top 10 and if she gets as high as 5th it will be a major victory for her.

Coriana

On the Ice
top ten would be great! Top 5 fantastic, and any respectable showing in the team event would be marvellous I really look forward to a great next season from Kaetlyn if she can stay injury free for a while. She holds real promise.

emdee

Final Flight
I concur with Coriana. She is a vivacious skater thar projects her performance to the audience. She has absolutely no pressure going into the skate and this could act in her favour. I think a top 6 would be marvellous for her.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Osmond gets the award for the most overhyped skater last season who was bragged to crush all the younger wonderbabies and all other new seniors
she fizzled out within less than a year despite the hype machine created by her federation

this girl can't skate a clean program outside her home inflated country, period.
Zijun even Polina E. should easily pas her in Top 10

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
After looking at the protocols, I think Kaetlyn is giving points away in both SP and FS. In the SP, she gets bonus points only for her 2a, while Gracie gets the bonus for 3lo and 2a.

By bunching spins at the end of the program, Kaetlyn gets bonus points for only 3 jump passes, two of them fairly low-value ones (3t-2t-2t and 2a). That isn't good, considering she has planned only 6 triples.

Gracie gets bonus points for 4 jump passes, including 3z, 3f, 3s-2t-2t and 2a. Two of her other 3 jump passes are very high-level ones: 3z+3t, 2a+3t and she has 7 planned triples overall.

emdee

Final Flight
I think that Kaetlyn reduced the tech elements in her program seeing it was the first time she was skating it publicly after her two injuries. She may see a slightly more difficult program at Olys or we may not.