Kaetlyn Osmond, ANY kind of threat? | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Kaetlyn Osmond, ANY kind of threat?

emdee

Final Flight
Valentina Marchei has been skating internationally as a senior lady for 10 years.

Kaetlyn has been on the senior circuit for 1.5 years. I don't know what her style is yet, and I'm not sure she does either. So far, she has presented herself as a coquette, but I hope there is more to her style than that, because that is rather limiting. YuNa Kim and Mao Asada have both presented many different types of music and characters, not just one.

I do not think Kaetlyn is primarily a jumper (like Miki Ando) but more a character skater. I'd just like to see her expand her cast of characters.

As you say she has only 1.5 years in seniors time enough to expand her cast of characters....

millie

Medalist
The last time we saw Kaetlyn compete was 2013 WTT. Not much to fear there. She is a journeyman skater. Someday she may be a force to be reckoned with, but right now, she's not soup yet. It doesn't do the girl any favors when you pile expectations on her she's not ready to deliver.

The ability of a skater comes from the will and the work ethic of that person. The individual will then work at their ability and over time, the person becomes the talent that the individual knew he or she had. Katelyn is that skater. Where they came from also makes a big difference In that it makes them perform better. Some skaters are so vain that it comes through in the way they act and talk. Remember the ice is slippery and anything can happen. Some skaters figure that the gold is theirs and they are sure of themselves others like Katelyn will skate their best and come what may. Anything can happen. The forerunners have faltered in the past. Just sayin.....

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The ability of a skater comes from the will and the work ethic of that person. The individual will then work at their ability and over time, the person becomes the talent that the individual knew he or she had. Katelyn is that skater. Where they came from also makes a big difference In that it makes them perform better. Some skaters are so vain that it comes through in the way they act and talk. Remember the ice is slippery and anything can happen. Some skaters figure that the gold is theirs and they are sure of themselves others like Katelyn will skate their best and come what may. Anything can happen. The forerunners have faltered in the past. Just sayin.....

Julia is very sure of herself and she wins more often than she loses. Even when she loses, she's usually second. Faltering to win silver is pretty darn good.

fadeevfan

Rinkside
Some forerunners always falter, which makes Osmond a good dark horse for a medal. She's a step behind the gaggle (Gracie, Julia, Akiko, Adelina, Carolina) that is chasing Yuna and, a bit further back, Mao. But she's a much more complete skater than anyone behind her, and with a clean performance, her pcs could have her above some of the others with greater difficulty. Having just caught up with her nats performances, I'd say she's giving Canada an incredibly great chance for team gold.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kaetlyn is the weakest member of the Canadian team in the race for gold. All of the others (Chan, Reynolds, V/M, D/R) have been to Worlds multiple times and have been on the World podium. Chan and V/M are multiple World champions.

Kaetlyn will be competing against the top ladies from the other teams, including Julia Lipnitskaia, who just won Euros with a score of 209+. And that is an ISU score, not a Nationals score.

wallylutz

Medalist
Kaetlyn is the weakest member of the Canadian team in the race for gold. All of the others (Chan, Reynolds, V/M, D/R) have been to Worlds multiple times and have been on the World podium. Chan and V/M are multiple World champions.

Kaetlyn will be competing against the top ladies from the other teams, including Julia Lipnitskaia, who just won Euros with a score of 209+. And that is an ISU score, not a Nationals score.

Your characterization of Kaetlyn Osmond in relation to her teammates is unfair and one could say, misleading. She is not as accomplished as her fellow Canadian Champions because of all of them are all reigning World medalists of some form, including 2 Olympic Champions and a 3-time World Champion. You place any other ladies in this A-List field other than Kim, Asada or Kostner, they would all look like the weakest link in this top rate lineup. Take Gracie Gold as an example, she has never won any senior international title, not even a senior B : Gracie Gold I wouldn't call her the weakest member of the US team however or that she will likely become a liability due to her lack of wins. In part, the only entry that can be considered a "Star" for the U.S. is in Ice Dance only, U.S. men will be headed by an inexperienced but promising youngster along with a retiring veteran who is well known to be a headcase - neither of them have much of a resume to show for. As for U.S. pairs, well, they are virtually unknown internationally. As you can see, the look is deceiving despite Gracie's lack of an impressive international resume. In fact, Gracie is expected to be instrumental in U.S. team's success in Sochi, if the U.S. is to have any chance at a Team medal. If Gracie doesn't do well, it is doubtful the headcase Abbott can pull the U.S. team through.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I wasn't the one saying Gold was 'giving the US an incredibly great chance for team gold'. That's what was said about Osmond, and that's what I took exception to. She is the weakest member of the Canadian team. Russia will probably win team gold anyway.

wallylutz

Medalist
I wasn't the one saying Gold was 'giving the US an incredibly great chance for team gold'. That's what was said about Osmond, and that's what I took exception to. She is the weakest member of the Canadian team. Russia will probably win team gold anyway.

You are taking fadeevfan's comment out of context. On her own, she isn't a likely top 3 contender yet in the individual event, unlike her fellow teammates, most of them will be fighting for the OGM. What fadeevfan was saying is that the fact she is potentially very competitive and can hold her own against most the ladies who will be at the Team Event while offering some potential positive surprises in upsetting some top ranked women. In this sense, she will indeed be a major asset to Team Canada.

The countries that qualified for the Team Event, in order of qualification are : Canada, Russia, USA, Japan, Italy, France, China, Germany, Ukraine, Great Britain. Based on last year's World Championship and the fact each country can only have one entry : http://www.isuresults.com/results/wc2013/SEG003.HTM - she has the potential to be around 3rd place after SP knowing that Kim will not be at the Team Event. We don't know if Kostner will skate at all due to her health, maybe Italy will delegate it entirely to Valentina Marchei and if Japan sends Mao to do the SP, well Mao was beaten in the SP by Kaetlyn last year. We don't whether it's Julia or Adelina who will do the SP for Russia, in any event, Adelina has already lost to Kaetlyn twice in senior competitions. The bottom line is what Kaetlyn is offering is the potential, not based on some hypotheses but rather, track record of her doing exceptionally well. At the very least, she should have little trouble holding of ladies from France, Germany, Ukraine or GB. In contrast to say Cathy Reed and Chris Reed, they don't offer Japan much of a hope to do well enough to make it to the next round of the Team Event.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
Don't forget -Kaetlyn was ahead of a WEAK Sotnikova. The "headcase" Sotnikova, one might say. So don't exaggerate her win there..

YunaBliss

On the Ice
I love Osmond - she has by far the best presentation skills among the next generation skaters (Adelina, Julia, Gracie, Zijun etc). She is what I would call a natural.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
She has her pluses but that still doesn't make her a contender. Once again, this field is one of the most difficult among the Olys! 2010 was too obvious. Now - not so much!

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
not a threat unless she is a terrorist.

Okay, this made me laugh. Sorry guys

I'm not sure which comment you're referring to, but the one I read said she'd "limit the damage" done in the ladies event, which is absolutely true. Osmond can realistically place fifth in the short program (behind Japan, Italy, USA and Russia, in any order). Other skaters could arguably place behind China, France and even Ukraine and Germany (if Popova or Weinzeirl skate well), making it harder for Canada to win gold.

Anyway, top ten would be a worthy finish for her. A medal would require a perfect storm of her skating lights out AND seven skaters bombing hardcore.

Coriana

On the Ice
The way I calculate chances, which may be completely off the mark, is that KO could, as you say come, as high as fifth or sixth in the first round, but the placement she needs to beat is that of the weakest member of the other favourite teams... for instance the pairs from US and Japan, or the Russian man. If we make the final cut of five for the team event - I would expect her to be last in the final, but a skater/team from somewhere would also be last in the other disciplines. Last place might well be equally distributed. I do agree that Russia's chances are very good, but Canada has a decent shot. I think if total scores counted rather than placements, we'd have a better one - but the competition is set up as it is.

wallylutz

Medalist
The way I calculate chances, which may be completely off the mark, is that KO could, as you say come, as high as fifth or sixth in the first round, but the placement she needs to beat is that of the weakest member of the other favourite teams... for instance the pairs from US and Japan, or the Russian man.

I think your calculations are off. She has realistic chances of being quite a bit higher than 5th or 6th, just look at the results of the SP at the 2013 Worlds.

wallylutz

Medalist
Don't forget -Kaetlyn was ahead of a WEAK Sotnikova. The "headcase" Sotnikova, one might say. So don't exaggerate her win there..

She beat Sotnikova twice already no matter what excuses the Russian Champ may have. It's not like Sotnikova imploded or something. The fact is headcase Sotnikova may yet return again in time for Sochi, we'll just have to wait and see.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
The way I calculate chances, which may be completely off the mark, is that KO could, as you say come, as high as fifth or sixth in the first round, but the placement she needs to beat is that of the weakest member of the other favourite teams... for instance the pairs from US and Japan, or the Russian man. If we make the final cut of five for the team event - I would expect her to be last in the final, but a skater/team from somewhere would also be last in the other disciplines. Last place might well be equally distributed. I do agree that Russia's chances are very good, but Canada has a decent shot. I think if total scores counted rather than placements, we'd have a better one - but the competition is set up as it is.

No, not really.

It's strictly points basd on ranking. Canada will likely make the final on the overall strength of their team. But there are a number of spoilers from the non-finalist teams that will lower the points totals from the teams that do make the finals, thus making it harder to get a medal. For example, China might not make the final, but Yan, Li or Zhang, and Pang/Tong can do damage to the other nations regardless.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
She beat Sotnikova twice already no matter what excuses the Russian Champ may have. It's not like Sotnikova imploded or something. The fact is headcase Sotnikova may yet return again in time for Sochi, we'll just have to wait and see.

She beat Adelina LAST year, when Adelina was still adjusting to her maturing body. Adelina is a different skater this year. When she makes a mistake, she doesn't melt down. She made it to the GPF this year, something she failed to do last year. And she skated great at Euros--she lost to Lipnitskaia, but they both scored over 200. These two ladies are formidable: make no mistake.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I think your calculations are off. She has realistic chances of being quite a bit higher than 5th or 6th, just look at the results of the SP at the 2013 Worlds.

you keep bringing up World 2013 results
alot has changed then skaters have gained experience, consistency, point earners and PCS !

sky_fly20

Match Penalty

Fact: Osmond cannot skate clean outside of home ice, relies only in Canadian soil to score an inflated mark
she has a meltdown skating outside Canada, WTT, 4CC etc. so I doubt here who is the bigger headcase