Senior Men's FS - 2014 U.S. Nationals in Boston | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Senior Men's FS - 2014 U.S. Nationals in Boston

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Rohene Ward. I predict his services will be in great demand in a very short time.

I suppose the big question is, will anyone spark Rohene's muse like Jason does? Will anyone else be able to handle it?

Sabrina

Record Breaker
I suppose the big question is, will anyone spark Rohene's muse like Jason does? Will anyone else be able to handle it?
If you check Rohene on youtube, you realize Jason has similar moves in his program. They both have amazing mobility. That's the only thing that links the two skaters. Rohene had problems doing his jumps. It was just a bad, costly habit. Probably he paid a price for coming from a poor family, and could not afford expensive training. Luckily, Jason has the whole package.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I'm so happy that Jason finally received the +3s he deserves for those BEAUTIFUL lutzes! (I am so disappointed when judges seem not to notice the tano and rippon jumps, or the difficult entrances)
On the other hand, I don't understand why his SS score is so low... :confused:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I'm so happy that Jason finally received the +3s he deserves for those BEAUTIFUL lutzes! (I am so disappointed when judges seem not to notice the tano and rippon jumps, or the difficult entrances)
On the other hand, I don't understand why his SS score is so low... :confused:

I'm excited his lutzes score so well here, in particular because he was a slight flutzer when he was a junior. Now there is no doubt! :yay:

As for skating skills, he was in the high 8s and got the second highest SS of the field behind Jeremy, so it wasn't that low! That said, I would say that his skating skills are quite solid, but that when you compare him to the field, he doesn't have the effortless glide as Jeremy does (and Ross as well) nor is he has fast as Max. The difference was probably more obvious when you put him in with the field at Trophee Eric Bompard.

What makes him tick is the choreography and how he performs and interpret it and alas that is where judges opted to score him in the 9s and even a few 10s. :biggrin:

FWIW, Jeremy beat him handily in skating skills, Jason beat Jeremy handily in performance/execution and they were essentially even elsewhere.

mskater93

Record Breaker
I am hopeful that the two together will be a formidable team. Jason is very level headed and a fairly calm competitor in general. Maybe he can rub off on Jeremy so just this one time, he puts on the SOHL at the international instead of being disappointed. A girl can dream, right? :p

ice coverage

Record Breaker
LOL - y'all take a chill pill ;)
As far as I know, if he hadn't taken his starting pose in time within 1 minute after his name being called, the music would have started without waiting for him and he'd have gotten a mandatory deduction.
He would not have gotten disqualified for it. :cool:

FWIW, in the post-FS press conference, Abbott thanked the audience for exhorting him to get into position. I'm paraphrasing, but he said something like: "I wouldn't be here [meaning in the winner's seat] without them." I forget whether he used the word "disqualified" explicitly, but he certainly implied that he was on the verge of being disqualified.

gnom

On the Ice
Finally SKATING won over JUMPING. I prefer a thousand times watching Jeremy Abbott with multiple falls than a clean Max Aaron. So I am very happy about the men's Olympic team. To me both guys represent what is the essence of skating. I hope that Jason Brown will stick with his current coach (and choreographer). Best example that these longterm relationships can be very successful and one does not necessarily need the widespread coach-hopping.

lavender

Record Breaker
Finally SKATING won over JUMPING. I prefer a thousand times watching Jeremy Abbott with multiple falls than a clean Max Aaron. So I am very happy about the men's Olympic team. To me both guys represent what is the essence of skating. I hope that Jason Brown will stick with his current coach (and choreographer). Best example that these longterm relationships can be very successful and one does not necessarily need the widespread coach-hopping.

This...glad I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
FWIW, Jeremy beat him handily in skating skills, Jason beat Jeremy handily in performance/execution and they were essentially even elsewhere.

I think it's really encouraging that the USN treated the different PCS scores as different, and not as "5 boxes where I'm supposed to put the same mark in"! :rolleye:

Seriously, I hope it's an omen for things to come for international events as well!

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
FWIW, in the post-FS press conference, Abbott thanked the audience for exhorting him to get into position. I'm paraphrasing, but he said something like: "I wouldn't be here [meaning in the winner's seat] without them." I forget whether he used the word "disqualified" explicitly, but he certainly implied that he was on the verge of being disqualified.
lol - you caught me there! I checked the rules after my post and saw that he could get disqualified, so I deleted my post after a minute... But not fast enough for you! :laugh:
Nevertheless, I think in such a situation, with the skater already being on the ice, it would be what I wrote. The dq thing would be certainly used if he wasn't yet on the ice...

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
I am living in the reality where Abbott BOMBS CONSISTENTLY AT BIG INTERNATIONALS. I am living in the reality where a 19 year old rookie Senior is more reliable than a four-time National champion. So yeah, I feel bad for Max, because I can only imagine how gut-wrenching it will be for him to be sitting on his couch watching Abbott bomb at the Olympics.

My issue with this kind of response is that it's actually been Max who has bombed consistently at big internationals THIS SEASON. Max has not been reliable this year at all. I don't think Max would hold a poor performance against Jeremy as he himself has had three bad competitions this year. Max lost his edge on consistency this season and he knows it. I am so proud of him for rallying and having a great Nationals, but to call him consistent at this point just isn't accurate. Give it one or two more good competitions for him and then we can revisit the issue of whether he can be consistent.

That being said, I don't think Jeremy will bomb at these Olympics.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
Additionally, Max has NO chance at the podium in Sochi. If Jeremy skates like he did at Nationals, he will likely be top 5. If he skates a better long program, he could podium. If he skates two clean programs, he could win.

Let's not forget that Patrick Chan had a very rough go of it at his Nationals, Takahashi's situation is unclear, and of the top contenders only Hanyu goes into the Olympics with momentum and a string of good skates. When Jeremy is on he is at the very very top.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
nor is he has fast as Max.

To be fair, Mrs P, nobody is as fast as Max. ;)

I prefer a thousand times watching Jeremy Abbott with multiple falls than a clean Max Aaron.

Um, NO. Because I'd rather watch a skater who looks like he's having fun and will fight for the program to the bitter end, and who always looks like he's at least TRYING to make everybody happy (obviously an impossibility for Max; he really blew that idea by beating Abbott last year, which means he now has a whole horde of people who automatically dislike him). Watching a skater falling and popping all over the place and totally giving up on a program, while looking like he's suffering death by slow torture, is not my idea of artistry nor is it my idea of fun.

My issue with this kind of response is that it's actually been Max who has bombed consistently at big internationals THIS SEASON. Max has not been reliable this year at all.

One year. ONE year vs MULTIPLE. For Max this year is an aberration. For Abbott it's the norm to bomb.