Senior Men's FS - 2014 U.S. Nationals in Boston | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Senior Men's FS - 2014 U.S. Nationals in Boston

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Congrats to Jeremy for winning his 4th National title and for making the team. Fabulous FS from Jason he is an amazing talent, Congrats to him.
Very happy for both of them. They will represent the US well in Sochi.

Max was amazing Congrats to him for winning the Bronze.

I also enjoyed Josh Farris and Ross Miner.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
*running around in circles screaming* JASON IS GOING TO THE OLYMPICS! JOSH MADE ME CRY! MAX WAS WONDERFUL! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Only poo-bum moment is Max losing his spot on the Olympic team to someone who will throw it away in Sochi. :(

sweetskates1

Medalist
Jeremy Abbott and Jason Brown will amaze at the Olympics with gorgeous, athletic skates - let us wield this into a fact!
Wordsworthgirl, are you with me?!

zschultz1986

Final Flight
*running around in circles screaming* JASON IS GOING TO THE OLYMPICS! JOSH MADE ME CRY! MAX WAS WONDERFUL! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Only poo-bum moment is Max losing his spot on the Olympic team to someone who will throw it away in Sochi. :(

I'm sorry? Throw it away? Max LOST this spot. He was NOT CLEAN. He DOES NOT HAVE THE SKATING SKILLS OF JEREMY OR JASON. He needs to go clean to get those points. He was not. He has been smashed by the international judges ALL SEASON. The International judges have shown they are willing to reward Jason with good PCS. what alternative reality are YOU LIVING IN?

The ONLY thing that Max has that Jason doesnt is: Speed and Quads. I will say this again (as I did in 2010) this ISN'T A JUMPING COMPETITION. THIS IS A SKATING COMPETITION. Jason HAS EVERYTHING (except a Quad).

Max didn't lose a spot. Jason and Jeremy won them. So, everyone, STOP IT.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
Jeremy Abbott and Jason Brown will amaze at the Olympics with gorgeous, athletic skates - let us wield this into a fact!
Wordsworthgirl, are you with me?!

Sweetskates!!!! I've been thinking of you all weekend! and yes, yes, yes to your statement becoming fact! I'm still tearing up and on such an emotional high!

Only negative was Adam Rippon's off competition. Sad for him.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
I'm sorry? Throw it away? Max LOST this spot. He was NOT CLEAN. He DOES NOT HAVE THE SKATING SKILLS OF JEREMY OR JASON. He needs to go clean to get those points. He was not. He has been smashed by the international judges ALL SEASON. The International judges have shown they are willing to reward Jason with good PCS. what alternative reality are YOU LIVING IN?

The ONLY thing that Max has that Jason doesnt is: Speed and Quads. I will say this again (as I did in 2010) this ISN'T A JUMPING COMPETITION. THIS IS A SKATING COMPETITION. Jason HAS EVERYTHING (except a Quad).

Max didn't lose a spot. Jason and Jeremy won them. So, everyone, STOP IT.

I completely agree with you. and I like Max. But not only did he make errors in both the short and the long, Jeremy and Jason have vastly superior skating skills, choreography, expressiveness/performance skills, transitions etc. I am impressed with Max's improvement and his being able to put out a relatively good two programs considering how he's been skating all season. I am really proud of him. But the team should be Jeremy and Jason.

Zamboni

On the Ice
What frightened me is that Jeremy almost was disqualified! Can you imagine if he had been???

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Brown was spectacular. More than quads, people really need to be entertained by our sport in Sochi and he has the potential to bring the house down. People were standing before the final spin. Wow, what a moment for him!

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
Brown was spectacular. More than quads, people really need to be entertained by our sport in Sochi and he has the potential to bring the house down. People were standing before the final spin. Wow, what a moment for him!

I totally agree on Jason's potential to draw many new fans to figure skating. Very very exciting!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Wow, what a day! I have some other thoughts, but thought it would be best my comments on the men's free skate here.

It goes without saying that watching Jason Brown's Riverdance live today was probably the No. 1 moment of the day, perhaps even the month and year (or at least one of the top ones for sure). I had a good feeling coming in -- he was due to have the skate of his life. Not sure why I felt that way - probably a combination that he was hitting all the jumps in practice and the fact that it's been sometime since he brought the house down at Nationals. But I think for me the biggest indicatior was looking at his face -- at Skate America he looked exremely nervous. Here, he took a deep breath, but it was clear he was ready and confident. And as he hit every jump, the energy in the arena just kept building up. And as pointed everywhere, the audience could not wait to get on their feet. He got so much stuffed animals that the poor cute boy sweepers had a hard time carrying them in their baskets!

I guess the biggest surprise that I did not shreak like a little school girl. :p Though I did cheer loudly! I didn't even take photos or video -- I was that entranched in the program. I guess as a big fan, I was mostly happy and excited for him. I thought about a year ago, people were wondeirng if Jason would even make it at the senior level since he was still struggling with the 3A. I knew that he would get there eventually and I'm happy it happened sooner than later!

I'm excited for Kori Ade too. What a moment to take her student from, as she said in an interview, "march-march-glide" to THE OLYMPICS. What a testiment to their long and solid coach-student relationship. She had talked a lot about how much she invested in her coaching career so she could best harness Jason's talent and stay ahead of him. Mr. P and I had a great conversation about this after the gala tonight over dinner. We talked about how Jason's success here really proves that Team Brown (and Kori's) strategy of developing the full package and aiming for consistency on a hard jump rather than force a succumb to the short-term rewards of having a higher-point jump pays off. Speaking of Mr. P, he was SOLD. I had showed him Jason's Riverdance program several times this fall and he just wasn't buying it. In fact the first time he saw it, he didn't like it at all. It didn't help that he didn't like Riverdance in general. So yeah, he still hates Riverdance, but he said that Jason won him over IN SPITE OF the fact he doesn't like the music. :love:

Oh, and he got +3 across the board for BOTH step sequences! WOW!

Goal for the Olympics: GET THAT SECOND TRIPLE AXEL without two-footing or <! But at least he was much closer than he has been all season with it.

Okay enough about Jason. ;) Yes I could go on but there was a lot to love about the Men's free skate. After a pretty dismal (with exceptions) ladies free skate, the men's free skate was such a treat (again with exceptions):

* While Jason had the performance of the day, one cannot forget Jeremy Abbott, now our four-time U.S. champion. His FS was sublime, even with the errors. It really is the perfect antithesis to Jason's lively and energetic program. I remember when I saw him at Skate America 2012, he looked out-of-shape and worn out. I was impressed with how much better he looked at this competition. I am proud he hit both his quads and had two really great skates at his final nationals. It was crazy that he almost got disqualified. The audience started shouting and luckily Jeremy got there just in time. Also I am glad that I got to see him in a much better light live before he retires.
* Tonichelle, you would be delighted to know that Keegan did much better today. It wasn't perfect, but there were some great moments, including hitting a 4T-3T combo. Also I LOVED his yo-yo routine in the K&C. Just so awesome. He was able to move up a few spots due to a solid performance.
* Doug Razzano had a big standing ovation. And it was to Nessum Dorma, which gave me flashbacks to Jason Brown's standing-o performance to the same music in 2011. But boy, what a performance by him.
* I'm feeling pretty sad for Max because he did pretty good here. His Carmen FS was great and besides the error on the 4S he really delievered. The step sequence weas really nice. 93+ in TES is nothing to shake a stick at. I'm glad they are sending him to Worlds.
* I loved Ross' program, even thought it wasn't perfect. Judges internationally would have a hard time understanding the program, but I'm glad he was able to perform it to a home crowd. They clearly knew the message/dedication he was sending. Doris explained to me the symbolism that was in much of Ross' choreography. I hope Ross comes back strong next year. He is capable of much more.
* I also enjoyed Joshua Farris' program. I think he was one of the skaters I can now enjoy more now that I've seen him in person. Other than a fall on the quad, he really did a great job and that step sequence...:love:
* Stephen Carriere also did a great program to raise him up from 12th to 9th. He has a nice presence on the ice and he has some great choreography.
* I really felt bad for Richard. Having to go after the loud cheering and the applause and having to hear Jason's huge score probably was quite tough on him. Sad for Adam after such a nice GP season. But sadly, it was clear from the warmup that Adam was going to have a tough time today.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
Wow, what a day! I have some other thoughts, but thought it would be best my comments on the men's free skate here.

It goes without saying that watching Jason Brown's Riverdance live today was probably the No. 1 moment of the day, perhaps even the month and year (or at least one of the top ones for sure). I had a good feeling coming in -- he was due to have the skate of his life. Not sure why I felt that way - probably a combination that he was hitting all the jumps in practice and the fact that it's been sometime since he brought the house down at Nationals. But I think for me the biggest indicatior was looking at his face -- at Skate America he looked exremely nervous. Here, he took a deep breath, but it was clear he was ready and confident. And as he hit every jump, the energy in the arena just kept building up. And as pointed everywhere, the audience could not wait to get on their feet. He got so much stuffed animals that the poor cute boy sweepers had a hard time carrying them in their baskets!

I guess the biggest surprise that I did not shreak like a little school girl. :p Though I did cheer loudly! I didn't even take photos or video -- I was that entranched in the program. I guess as a big fan, I was mostly happy and excited for him. I thought about a year ago, people were wondeirng if Jason would even make it at the senior level since he was still struggling with the 3A. I knew that he would get there eventually and I'm happy it happened sooner than later!

I'm excited for Kori Ade too. What a moment to take her student from, as she said in an interview, "march-march-glide" to THE OLYMPICS. What a testiment to their long and solid coach-student relationship. She had talked a lot about how much she invested in her coaching career so she could best harness Jason's talent and stay ahead of him. Mr. P and I had a great conversation about this after the gala tonight over dinner. We talked about how Jason's success here really proves that Team Brown (and Kori's) strategy of developing the full package and aiming for consistency on a hard jump rather than force a succumb to the short-term rewards of having a higher-point jump pays off. Speaking of Mr. P, he was SOLD. I had showed him Jason's Riverdance program several times this fall and he just wasn't buying it. In fact the first time he saw it, he didn't like it at all. It didn't help that he didn't like Riverdance in general. So yeah, he still hates Riverdance, but he said that Jason won him over IN SPITE OF the fact he doesn't like the music. :love:

Oh, and he got +3 across the board for BOTH step sequences! WOW!

Goal for the Olympics: GET THAT SECOND TRIPLE AXEL without two-footing or <! But at least he was much closer than he has been all season with it.

Okay enough about Jason. ;) Yes I could go on but there was a lot to love about the Men's free skate. After a pretty dismal (with exceptions) ladies free skate, the men's free skate was such a treat (again with exceptions):

* While Jason had the performance of the day, one cannot forget Jeremy Abbott, now our four-time U.S. champion. His FS was sublime, even with the errors. It really is the perfect antithesis to Jason's lively and energetic program. I remember when I saw him at Skate America 2012, he looked out-of-shape and worn out. I was impressed with how much better he looked at this competition. I am proud he hit both his quads and had two really great skates at his final nationals. It was crazy that he almost got disqualified. The audience started shouting and luckily Jeremy got there just in time. Also I am glad that I got to see him in a much better light live before he retires.
* Tonichelle, you would be delighted to know that Keegan did much better today. It wasn't perfect, but there were some great moments, including hitting a 4T-3T combo. Also I LOVED his yo-yo routine in the K&C. Just so awesome. He was able to move up a few spots due to a solid performance.
* Doug Razzano had a big standing ovation. And it was to Nessum Dorma, which gave me flashbacks to Jason Brown's standing-o performance to the same music in 2011. But boy, what a performance by him.
* I'm feeling pretty sad for Max because he did pretty good here. His Carmen FS was great and besides the error on the 4S he really delievered. The step sequence weas really nice. 93+ in TES is nothing to shake a stick at. I'm glad they are sending him to Worlds.
* I loved Ross' program, even thought it wasn't perfect. Judges internationally would have a hard time understanding the program, but I'm glad he was able to perform it to a home crowd. They clearly knew the message/dedication he was sending. Doris explained to me the symbolism that was in much of Ross' choreography. I hope Ross comes back strong next year. He is capable of much more.
* I also enjoyed Joshua Farris' program. I think he was one of the skaters I can now enjoy more now that I've seen him in person. Other than a fall on the quad, he really did a great job and that step sequence...:love:
* Stephen Carriere also did a great program to raise him up from 12th to 9th. He has a nice presence on the ice and he has some great choreography.
* I really felt bad for Richard. Having to go after the loud cheering and the applause and having to hear Jason's huge score probably was quite tough on him. Sad for Adam after such a nice GP season. But sadly, it was clear from the warmup that Adam was going to have a tough time today.

Thank you so much, Mrs P, for this and for all your wonderful updates. I so agree with you on everything! and I'm so excited about the future of men's figure skating in the US with Jason, Josh, Max leading the way.

One question re Adam, whom I adore- what do you think happened to him at this event?! NBC did not show him warming up so I don't have any idea of what happened there either. What happened to the new, confident, feisty, go-for-broke Adam? Do you think Ashley's troubles affected him? Do you think he will continue?

nylynnr

On the Ice
One question re Adam, whom I adore- what do you think happened to him at this event?! NBC did not show him warming up so I don't have any idea of what happened there either. What happened to the new, confident, feisty, go-for-broke Adam? Do you think Ashley's troubles affected him? Do you think he will continue?

There were articles about Adam prior to the event, for example on icenetwork, but during and immediately following a big event the attention is focused on medalists, who is making the Olympic team, etc. There isn't time for journalists to check in with each athlete. To my knowledge, Rippon is not dealing with any kind of serious injury & a day or two prior to the event planned to compete next season. He did tell media he had flu a few weeks prior to nationals, and that he was over it but it changed his training schedule.

nylynnr

On the Ice

True this. I have always thought figure skating is foremost a sport, and quads are essential for top results, but audience reaction to Jason is undeniable. Of course if he puts quad in programs next season, as he and Ade plan, it will be all the better.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

I am living in the reality where Abbott BOMBS CONSISTENTLY AT BIG INTERNATIONALS. I am living in the reality where a 19 year old rookie Senior is more reliable than a four-time National champion. So yeah, I feel bad for Max, because I can only imagine how gut-wrenching it will be for him to be sitting on his couch watching Abbott bomb at the Olympics.