The Worst Programs... | Page 4 | Golden Skate

The Worst Programs...

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Oh, I loved the Viktor/doll program--too cute!

Let's stroll down memory lane to, say... the 2002 Olympics... ice dance finals... "I Will Survive" as skated by the ever-popular Barbara Fusar-Poli and the guy who can barely do a single twizzle without tripping over his skate boot, Maurizio Margalio. Oh, yeah, that was a keeper... NOT!
:D :eek:

gezando

Final Flight
skatepixie said:
you're right...add fallin to my list then...

Skatepixie, fallin is not half as barf city or bad as that ribbon program from Sasha. (just my opinion)

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
How can we forget about Takeshi Honda and the Toilet Paper program (aka "The Mummy")?! Don't programs like that just keep renewing your love of skating?!:\ :eek: :D

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
RealtorGal said:
Let's stroll down memory lane to, say... the 2002 Olympics... ice dance finals... "I Will Survive" as skated by the ever-popular Barbara Fusar-Poli and the guy who can barely do a single twizzle without tripping over his skate boot, Maurizio Margalio. Oh, yeah, that was a keeper... NOT! :D :eek:
I loved that program. I thought it was an over-the-top scream, and at least they were dancing, not philosophizing or tearing out their hair or pretending to be profound.

frozetoez

Rinkside
Ladskater said:
I preferred Tracy Wilson and Rob McCalls' program (they won the bronze). It was a wonderful program. They just danced gracefully and smoothly from one end of the rink to the other non-stop.:love:

That has to be one of the most fun dance programs of all time. It's in my top three faves. Their energy was unbelievable!

skatepixie

On the Ice
gezando said:
Skatepixie, fallin is not half as barf city or bad as that ribbon program from Sasha. (just my opinion)

I liked the ribbon program....the spins were *very* cool looking. Just try dancing around the room with a ribbon...its harder than you think. Then try skating with one....its amazing really...

Fallin bugged me because her hair just seemed to be distracting her. It was *fallin* (sorry for the pun) in her face, even in her *mouth* at times...sorry....doesnt do a thing for me...

brenlynn

On the Ice
FOG and Fallin' by Kwan were pretty bad. The damn Pink Panther routine tiff and phil did, that was horrible. anything skated by nancy kerrigan, a lot of katarina's programs - they are too vampy.

Destiny

Spectator
Any program where someone takes their shirt off, especially Michael Weiss. I also agree with an earlier poster who said the entire Tara Lipinski Hip Hop on Ice show. The whole show was just horrendous, and it made Kurt, Yuka and other great skaters look desperate for money to do that show. I think the entire concept was just bad. I do like Tara's skating, just hated the show.

I thought many of the programs from SLC ice dance competition represented some of the worst music choices ever. People at my work (non-skating fans) were talking about how weird the music, costumes, etc. were and laughing. I strongly disliked the use of Martin Luther King's famous speech by A & P...not appropriate.

Oh yeah, I have to add some of the flirty type numbers by Meno and Sand over the last couple of seasons. It looks like their copying S and P, and M and S are just, well...they look better in more classical numbers.

thvudragon

On the Ice
Destiny said:
I thought many of the programs from SLC ice dance competition represented some of the worst music choices ever. People at my work (non-skating fans) were talking about how weird the music, costumes, etc. were and laughing. I strongly disliked the use of Martin Luther King's famous speech by A & P...not appropriate.
I don't get the big deal about A&P using MLK's "I have a dream" speech. His family even came out publicly and said that they felt honered that his lyrics were included in their theme of liberty. Also, it's not like the theme of liberty and equality only exists in the US, so please don't say that they don't understand the meaning of the words, because I find that notion simply moronic.

TV

Matt

On the Ice
I didn't like that A&P programme either--not because of the MLK speech; I didn't have a problem with that, though it is kind of a weird thing to skate ice dance to:\ ---the programme just never did it for me; definitely not the same captivating quality they had in some of their other FDs ("Carmina Burana")

Destiny

Spectator
thvudragon said:
I don't get the big deal about A&P using MLK's "I have a dream" speech. His family even came out publicly and said that they felt honered that his lyrics were included in their theme of liberty. Also, it's not like the theme of liberty and equality only exists in the US, so please don't say that they don't understand the meaning of the words, because I find that notion simply moronic.

TV

I never said anything close to them not understanding the words. I thought the program was a really bad attempt to win over the American audience. I am all for skaters trying to win over the home crowd, but I happen to think there were better ways to do it than this choice. Even if I didn't mind the use of the speech, I would have still found the use of it, the music, and the whole program strange.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
although I liked "Liberta" myself, I think I understand why some people wouldn't like it so much. Aside from the MLK speech, I think people were just disappointed that this FD ended up being the FD A/P used for the Olympics (and their last eligible FD ever), especially after such great FDs like "Romeo and Juliet", "Man in the Iron Mask", and "Carmina Burana".

I also think their OD that year totally overshadowed their FD, which didn't help matters.

dizzydi

On the Ice
Worst Programs...

BraveSkateFan,

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FOG and Fallin' by Kwan were pretty bad.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree with you. I find it so surprising that someone would think either of those beautiful Kwan programs were bad. It just goes to show you what's beautiful to one person is ugly to another.

Thank heaven most fans agree with us.

Dizzy

Yazmeen

On the Ice
Forgive me Oksana fans, but if I never see her skate that "Swan" again, in all its tiresome, endless interpretations, I will be a happy woman.

Tara Lipinski's "American Woman." She described it as a "salute to the wonderful Amercian women I'm skating with." Memo to Tara: Honey, listen to the LYRICS of the song next time before you have it choreographed. ("American Woman, stay away from me..." ) :eek:

The number Kat Witt skated to at Nancy Kerrigan's "comeback from the whack" special prior to the 94 Olympics. She wore a see through red lace unitard and spent the first minute of the program fondling herself, not moving. (I'm sorry to sound rude, but honestly, that was what she did!!!)

AP McDonough's "Swan" Not that it was a bad program but she skated it so badly and looked so miserable the whole time. It was like she was holding up a sign saying "Please make my mother stop making me do this!!!!"

Scott Hamilton: _____________ fill in the blank "shtick" program. Scott can skate beautiful classical skating programs. ENOUGH with the comedy already!!

Brain Boitano: Sam Spade. I adore Brian. This I did not adore.

Finally, I believe Kristi, Kat and Tara should be forced to cut off and donate a piece of each of their gold medals to charity in penance for that "Gold" abomination. YUUUUUCCCCCKKKKK!!!

eliza88

On the Ice
Gotta agree with G-O-L-D w/Kat, Kristi and Tara, blechhhh! Ptoey!

Any FP/M program
Any Michael Weiss exhibition program (and this years LP)
The Pink Panther routine was hideous!

As much as I love to watch Nicole Bobek skate there was this one program of hers (I think it was a year or so ago at the Canadian Open) where she starts of skating a beautiful program to I think an opera peice and really sets a mood, then for no apparent reason she skates to the boards, grabs a t-shirt from someone (it may have had a flag on it), puts it on over her gorgeous costume and the music changes to some rock piece! Whatever!

eliza88

PS. FOG at the '02 games was a masterpiece!

Johar

Medalist
VIETgrlTerifa said:
although I liked "Liberta" myself, I think I understand why some people wouldn't like it so much. Aside from the MLK speech, I think people were just disappointed that this FD ended up being the FD A/P used for the Olympics (and their last eligible FD ever), especially after such great FDs like "Romeo and Juliet", "Man in the Iron Mask", and "Carmina Burana".

I also think their OD that year totally overshadowed their FD, which didn't help matters.

What is FD stand for? And FD/AP? Thanks.

Johar

Medalist
I must be a minority in liking Kwan's "Fields of Gold" routine. She skated it for victims of 9-11, as unfulfilled dreams and goals. The singer also died tragically young, from skin cancer.

Why don't some of you like it? Just curious and this is not an attack. Our differences make us unique :D