The Inevitable Mirai Thread | Page 2 | Golden Skate

The Inevitable Mirai Thread

cjsk8fan

On the Ice
Does anyone know why Mirai does not have a coach? I can see why this is heart breaking for Mirai. Placing the fourth place finisher on the team has never happened before. I believe it is because of the advertising hype that Ashley is involved in. Lots of money wasted if she doesn't go.

sweetskates1

Medalist
Agreed!!

Well, she's one of the skaters who has kept up MY interest in US Figure skating in recent years. I know it was a long time ago but I haven't liked any USA lady's skate as much as I did her 2010 FS at nationals, except for some of Alyssa's performances, which I loved even more. I can't deny that she hadn't been the same skater but I won't give up on her yet when she is clearly still showing she can't be counted out. Imagine if Mirai keeps going and manages to do as well or even better Ashley has over the next four years. Then MIRAI will be the sentimental favorite for the next Olympic team.

Mirai has every right to go to worlds. She earned it. She skated better than Ashley last night and that is that.

MKFSfan

Medalist
Heart broken for Mirai. Glad I didn't have to make any decisions here! I believe Ashley (and I am hardly a fan) deserves to go base on her results from the last 3 years. I believe Gold deserves to go based on winning Nationals.

But between Mirai and Polina, I would have sent Mirai. Yes, I am a HUGE Mirai fan, but based on international results and last Olympic results, I feel Mirai has an edge. Polina may be the future and a trip to Sochi may only help her future as a developing athlete, but I feel Mirai is the present and would be a more formidable competitor.

I personally felt Polina was held up very much so at these Nationals and will not even come close to her scores with a crystal clear skate. OTOH, I believe Mirai with a clean skate could be in the mix for a top 6 placing. JMHO.

Ah, Mirai…my heart breaks for you.

dhart

Spectator
I agree. I admit I was rooting for Mirai and was thrilled to see her hit her jumps and the reaction of the crowd. But I still feel that she DID earn a spot on the team by finishing in the top 3. It wasn't her fault that Ashley couldn't do what she should have been able to do.

And now we have to wait and see if Ashley implodes at the Olympics with that added pressure.

I was not impressed by Polina and don't think she deserved the PCs. She skates like the 15-year-old she is, with no senior level experience and I think that's how she will be judged. We have constantly seen what happens when too much is put on youngsters not ready to handle it, look what happened to Mirai at 14. And don't get me started about our former Olympic winners, look how short their careers were. In retrospect, even the judges would have given Michelle at least one gold medal, no?

taikwan

On the Ice
Man, that is a sad photo and I do feel badly for her. I think Ashley will be heading into the Olympics with yet other distraction: guilty conscience. But...4 years ago Ashley was the one in tears.

Myla

Rinkside
I am so relieved the USFSA didnt think about only one competition to make the decision. It would be unfair in my opinion, especially after some good seasons Ashley had in the past 2 years. I know Mirai "got" the spot by finishing in third, but in my opinion Ashley is more consistent and has a chance to do do better at Olympics, plus she has been in international events past years, and Mirai hasnt. The same thing happened when Sasha tried the spot after being 4 years distant and many people complained about that saying that "her time is over". Luckily for the USFSA, Sasha made mistakes (as always) and made it easier for them to put her out.
Mirai is young, she can try it again, but it is important for her to be part of the whole process the next season. She is two years younger than Ashley, and Ashley is having her first experience after being left off for 1 spot last time and I hope she can do really well there.

aviva_dawn

On the Ice
Well, I guess that I was wrong. No news yet about Worlds and 4CC and Jr. Worlds Teams. I hope they announce them soon.

tulosai

Record Breaker
I don't care what anyone says or thinks, she really is SUCH a beautiful skater and person.

kzarah

Le Patineur et sa Petite Lulu
On the Ice
Just want to say that Mirai was screws and Ashley Wagner will be a poor representation. Even a clean skate in the short program will not put her in the top six. Mirai would make the top 8 at least. What a shame. However Mirai is an alternate event that Ashly is injured.

travelbug

Rinkside
Get your box of Puffs ready

Mirai's exhibition:
http://youtu.be/-5d8nygK2nk

Aww :(

Thanks for posting that!

I think the outpouring of support Mirai is getting (and will continue to, I suspect) may be a huge, huge thing for her and where she goes moving ahead.

I hope that sweet girl realizes that while she may have been there alone, no coach or advocate, her skate, how she's handled the decision, and her just being herself has got a lot of people who are standing with her, hoping she'll continue to skate now that she's got - in many ways - a motivation to prove that she deserved to go, and who love seeing her back on the ice and smiling.

ETA: What was that music she was skating to at the Gala? Anyone know? (I'm sure someone does...LOL)

Myla

Rinkside
This petition is pointless, the process of selection is clear, they do not rely on only one competition. It would be stupidity if they did this. That's ok the Nationals is a very important competition, but they already selected people who hasnt even competed Nationals, like Michelle Kwan in 2006, based on her previous results. Skaters like Ashley, 2-time Nationals champion (the two past ones), 4th and 5th at last worlds and earned the 3 spots, cannot be forgotten because of a single competition. And she has done well during the 2013-2014 season, it's not that she didnt do anything during these previous months. I think the USFSA already has a number of skaters pre-selected before Nationals, based on the results during that season. Of course they would be in doubt between one or two and then use the Nationals to clarify and see who is ready or not. What seems is that Ashley and Gracie Gold were locks for the team, despite their positions, but of course, a 10th place, wouldnt put them in there. But a 4th, 5th place wouldnt be so far, since it would be some details that would make a difference on that day.

HOWEVER, I would send Mirai, but instead of Polina, not Wagner. To me, Polina is such a young, inexperienced girl who still needs to be more mature to handle the pressure of the Olympics. I think she will be the 3rd American there. It was nice to see her skate, but not so graceful and delightful as Sasha Cohen was at her age when was sent to the Olympics. Polina, God willing, will have better seasons to come, and I think she will be at her peak in the next years, she is not completely ready now to face the Games. She would be sent to Worlds instead, then get more experience and maturity.

That is what I think, but maybe we'll have many surprises in February.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This whole thing is a train wreck. If Ashley falls on her face in Sochi...wow. I thought the Russian Nationals were crazy but I'd say now at least they propped up their best skaters where as we might be propping up our biggest cash investment. Ain't that America. Mirai, I feel for ya.