Soldatova to skate in Dortmund! And, maybe even Irina | Golden Skate

Soldatova to skate in Dortmund! And, maybe even Irina

Fossi

Final Flight
Does this mean Irina's illness was greatly exaggerated by her team? Has she been practicing all along?

brenlynn

On the Ice
im personally really confused by everything with irina. one day she is like deathly ill and won't be at worlds, then they say she is okay to go, then she is deathly ill again and so on. if she has been as sick as they have been making it out to be how in the world could she even be ready to skate at worlds? it doesn't seem like she would have had enough time to prepare at all. i think they just like to keep telling us that she'll be there and then she won't, i wish they'd keep their mouths shut until they knew for sure.

maybe it's just a rumor and nothing more, and i am overexaggerating. i suppose we'll find out someday soon, huh?

Littlewild1

Rinkside
I really hope Irina doesn't go. She is one of my favorite ladies skaters, if not my favorite, and I don't want her to rush things. She needs rest more than she needs to be at Worlds.

Julia Soldatova was one of my favorite skaters when she won her World bronze (at age 19, IIRC). I thought at the time that she would be the one to step up for Russia heading into the 2002 Olympics.

I am peased to see her back on track.

I do not expect to see Irina this year. Injuries and illness are just decimating the sport these days.

Mathman

Evdokia

On the Ice
Littlewild1 said:
I really hope Irina doesn't go. She is one of my favorite ladies skaters, if not my favorite, and I don't want her to rush things. She needs rest more than she needs to be at Worlds.

Though I adore Irina and would love to see her skating again, I feel she just shouln't skate there. I don't think there was any exaggeration about her illness at all: I saw her skating in a show something about three months ago, where she looked very tired and burned out and she didn't try just one jump, not even a double. So I just can't imagine how she could be back for worlds and that in a shape which enables her to fight for a medal without risking her health. :(

wvgal57

On the Ice
Actually Irina has only stated herself that she won't skate till she feels well enough. She's not made one quote in any of the articles so to try to say Irina is instigating that she is ill is rather ridiculous.:rolleye: Her own doctor as well as the team physicians stated in an open interview how sick she is. If she gets better then I'd expect her to compete, that is how she makes a living and how she pays her bills. She's never made a practice of dodging the competition MOF she's always been out there working her tail off.

I really feel that Irina is not well enough to skate. If the Federation is pushing her, I still hope she doesn't skate.

I see the Federation as wanting to get a top ten finish so as to send two skaters to the next Worlds. Three if Sokolova gets a high placement. Not a good reason to send someone who isn't well.

Joe

insecureedge

On the Ice
Always appreciate the info you provide, wvgal57. Since we lack information on Irina's diagnosis or current condition, we can only speculate on the articles and on the ABC fluff piece. While stirrings on FSU lead by this Russian article still says that Irina may yet go to worlds in March, I hope she is not unduly pressured by the Russian federation to participate if she is not recovered sufficiently and has had enough time to prepare the programs and jumps. It should be noted that if the Russians send the same team to worlds as they sent to Europeans, they have zero chance of qualifying three spots. From this year's Europeans,the Russians finished

3 Elena SOKOLOVA RUS 5.0 6 2
16 Kristina OBLASOVA RUS 22.5 15 15
18 Tatiana BASOVA RUS 24.0 16 16

While I'll save an assessment for Sokolova's chances at worlds this year for the worlds folder after Europeans airs in the US, I feel pretty secure in saying that these ladies would likely finish lower in Dortmund. Assuming the same placements, The sum of the first two placements at this competition, 3+16=19, is good enough to qualify two skaters for next year's worlds in Moscow (only a total less than or equal to 28 needed), but is not looking good for three (where less than or equal to 13 is the requirement). FSU reports and However, given Irina's health and lack of competition and Vika's poor record this year, I'm unsure that either would be able to bridge these points, although surely either of them would probably finish higher than Oblasova and Basova would. The same article also states that strings were pulled to allow Soldatova to be added to the world team, and presumably with her a better chance to qualify the 3 spots, so Irina's services may not be as direly needed as previously thought.

Best wishes to Irina for her birthday, a speedy and complete recovery, and an awesome comeback for next season.

InsecureEdge

Last edited:

Excidra2001

On the Ice
I assume Russia wants 3 spots for the ladies for next year's worlds, it is after held in Moscow.
As of right now, nobody is saying if Irina is healthy or not. Her federation stated that they will test her to see if she is ready to go to worlds, if not then she won't get the ticket. What's the point of sending Russia's top lady to worlds while she's ill and hurt her chances of placing in the top 5, which will really put doubts in judges eyes about her for next season.

I just hope she's ready to kick major booty at worlds in moscow, with the audience cheering her on every second of the way(Think GPF 2003)

berthes ghost

Final Flight
What's the point of sending Russia's top lady to worlds while she's ill and hurt her chances of placing in the top 5, which will really put doubts in judges eyes about her for next season.

Probably the same point as sending Plushy with his bad knee to Euros.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Actually, according to all those articles about the possibility of Irina skating in Dortmund, it's really nothing specific. She herself has not made any statements; it's mainly the federation that found it necessary to mention that if Irina feels up to it, she will be given place on the team.

insecureedge

On the Ice
Originally posted by Ptichka
Actually, according to all those articles about the possibility of Irina skating in Dortmund, it's really nothing specific. She herself has not made any statements; it's mainly the federation that found it necessary to mention that if Irina feels up to it, she will be given place on the team.

Thanks for the clarification, Ptichka. So it seems like the Russian federation is doing the politically correct thing by offering a spot to Irina while fully expecting she probably will not compete at worlds. Nice to know that Irina is approaching her comeback smartly and not risking her health. I hope to see her in the spring cheesefest as a way to ease herself back into competition.

InsecureEdge

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
So it seems like the Russian federation is doing the politically correct thing by offering a spot to Irina while fully expecting she probably will not compete at worlds.
I hope it's just that, and not that they are pressuring her to go out and defend the country's honor:\

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
It does sound like the Russian Federation is leaving the door open for Irina. And, they certainly should! Although the reasons for skipping the 99 season weren't as serious, Irina still came roaring back after a considerable absence and was better than ever. I have no doubt that she will give it her all if she decides to return. But, I would also hate to see her risk anything and skate at Worlds this year woefully unprepared. I'm hoping she'll get better and lay it down in Moscow.

ouridol

On the Ice
Yay! I cannot wait to see Irina skate again:D She surprises me every time, she is such an amazing skater/athlete and competitor! I know she will come back stronger than ever...she is a real fighter! GO IRINA!!!!!!!:D

Evdokia

On the Ice
Soldatova

I've just opened a new thread about Soldatova not going to Worlds. Seems like Russian Fed really needs Irina now. :rolleye: