Thanks to NBC | Golden Skate

Thanks to NBC

jrethorst

Rinkside
The network finally seems to be learning how to present skating. No more silly skycams, no distracting audio close-up of blades on ice and, most importantly, not too much commentary during the skate. That's really nice.

I agree. Good on 'em!

Also thanks to the skaters for a great show. My faves: Zhang and Bartholomay's free skate :love: and Jason Brown's free skate. :rock:

emma

Record Breaker
All, in all, and despite the heartaches of competition - I did enjoy this and was especially pleased with the (relative) amount of NBC coverage. The most skating on tv I've been able to see in a long time! And yes, decent camera work and the commentating was fine!

jrethorst

Rinkside
For sure. Samantha's free skate was a nice surprise -- hadn't seen her before -- and Gracie blew my socks off, along with everyone else's.

You know, for the Olympics NBC might try the revolutionary move of having no commentary, or only very little -- say just naming the jumps. That would be something.

GF2445

Record Breaker
I hope they can keep this up. The amount of coverage received for nationals in my opinion is definitely acceptable. Did they show short programs too?

Another thing that the tv broadcaster and usfs can work on is making it more interactive e.g. live online chats during live competitions. They need to work on those 'moment of the day' segments- seemed like a passing thought- maybe have a couple of moments and people at home could go online and vote for their favourite moment. Maybe display interesting statistics- e.g. Techncial Score tracker, (they had a technical base value table during warmups which was cool) etc.

Im being picky but this championship coverage was very good....compare that to Canadians where I have not able to watch a single performance from any of the top skaters- thanks TSN :/

Angela V

Rinkside
Im being picky but this championship coverage was very good....compare that to Canadians where I have not able to watch a single performance from any of the top skaters- thanks TSN :/

Yes, this sucks! I no longer get TSN but was still hoping to watch online. I am with Bell and logged in there in hopes of CTV having the skates. Nope. I got sick this weekend and didn't realise I needed to watch everything LIVE. I wouldn't have been able to on Saturday anyway.

jrethorst

Rinkside
I hope they can keep this up. The amount of coverage received for nationals in my opinion is definitely acceptable. Did they show short programs too?:/

They did. Why won't NBC give us this much coverage of the Grand Prix?

ks777

Record Breaker
I just hope they would replace Sandra and Scott with someone else. I like Mike weiss personally..

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
You know, for the Olympics NBC might try the revolutionary move of having no commentary, or only very little -- say just naming the jumps. That would be something.

You're speaking like a forever fan, there are going to be a bunch of "only every 4 year fans" that the commentary for nationals and olympics is for. let's not make figure skating sound even more elitist than it already is.

I add my thanks to NBC. They showed a lot of skaters we don't normally get the chance to see, and they explained who those skaters are and why they are interesting. They showed quite a few short programs, too, for which I'm very grateful.

I'm sorry that Canadians haven't had the chance to see much of their own Nationals. I went looking just for results of Canadian Nationals, and I couldn't even find those online. And you guys have at least two medal contenders (possibly gold) in Chan and V/M. Heck, they should even be showing Canadian Nationals on U.S. TV! I hope YouTube will be able to fill the void. I'd love to see V/M's two programs especially.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
if you go into the Canadian Nationals board, Olympia there's at least a few videos linked... and I think a partial if not whole results breakdown.