Will Mirai Appeal Decision for Olympic Team? | Page 31 | Golden Skate

Will Mirai Appeal Decision for Olympic Team?

Ven

Match Penalty
b-man, you hit the nail on the head!!!!

The big sponsorship $$$'s should all come through the sanctioning body.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Mirai was denied a spot in the Olympic and world teams because her record over the past two seasons hasn't been good, especially compared to Ashley's. But in denying her a spot for the world team, they are also hurting Mirai's chances of building up a good record for next season. It's Ashley who gets to go to world and then come to nationals again and say "See, I medaled at worlds, or came in 4th, or whatever." Mirai doesn't even get that chance.

4CC is an opportunity to build a record and one of the competitions that will weigh into next year's Worlds team selection. She stands in 9th after the short program, behind two other Americans.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
So sorry for Mirai.
But I just love how this sad affair shows the hypocrisy of some people here.

Takahashi versus Kozuka:

Wagner versus Nagasu:

So "absolutely not a fair decision" becomes "a matter of "fairness"" :eek:hwell:

Kozuka is a world medalist who had strong results on the GP last season (including a win and appearance at the GPF), and Nagasu hasn't had even close to that last season.

Takahashi made 7 errors in his SP and FS, whereas Ashley wasn't nearly as bad in her freeskate. Ashley also had a far better GP performance this season than Takahashi.

I don't find my two statements hypocritical -- I said in both cases that it isn't fair that Kozuka and Mirai didn't get to go, based on their placements (Oda, too). However, I also acknowledge that the reasons for Takahashi going and Wagner going are rather logical. I personally found Kozuka not going to be more grievous than Nagasu not going, based on his results last season (which Mirai hadn't achieved) and based on him placing two places higher than Takahashi. And I personally find Wagner going over Nagasu a smarter, more justifiable decision than Takahashi going over Kozuka, for the reasons above and the reasons people have discussed.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
When it comes to skaters CSG lurves (eg- Chan, Cohen, Kozuka) or doesnt like (Hanyu, Kostner, Lipnitskaia) trying to get objectivity is like trying to pull Hens teeth.

Oh, and you're so objective when it comes to Chan. :laugh: You'll note that I actually have complimented and said nice things about Hanyu, Kostner, and Lipnitskaia, and even defended them.

The world would implode if you ever said anything remotely complimentary about Chan, seeing as how you think he has no artistry, even though the scores and results have this most uncanny ability to consistently prove you wrong time and time again. :biggrin:

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
And I have dozens of posts denegrating every skate Mirai ever had.

^^^
THIS!! Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. :disapp:

Something just struck me and I'll throw it out there:

Mirai was denied a spot in the Olympic and world teams because her record over the past two seasons hasn't been good, especially compared to Ashley's. But in denying her a spot for the world team, they are also hurting Mirai's chances of building up a good record for next season. It's Ashley who gets to go to world and then come to nationals again and say "See, I medaled at worlds, or came in 4th, or whatever." Mirai doesn't even get that chance.

Does this seem like a dismal precedence to anyone else? This year, it's Mirai. Next year, maybe Christina Gao or Agnes or whoever might get on the podium instead of Gracie or Polina. And the committee can decide they don't like it so they'll just send who they want to worlds. And then Christina or Agnes get thwarted in their efforts to keep gaining momentum.

I haven't been much of a fan of Mirai's skating the last couple of years, while I have really enjoyed Ashley. I'll admit that makes it a little easier to swallow this move, but the more I think about it then more I think "the rules" stink.

Thank you! I'm glad there are at least some others who see the obvious. The USFSA has often blocked opportunities for Mirai by favoring others - and it's happened once again! No one seems to see that with this precedence set, the USFSA can forever block ANY medallists at Nationals from advancing to a Worlds or Olympics in favor of their 'chosen one's'. It just smells rotten all over.

I read the new tweets from ‏@AshWagner2010 a couple of hours ago, and found nothing wrong with them.
Going back to re-read them, I still find nothing wrong with them.

I want to say thank you 2 those who have been so supportive this week. In no way was it the skate I wanted, but u gave me a reason to smile.
5:07 PM - 15 Jan 2014
https://twitter.com/AshWagner2010/statuses/423577156367958017

So thank you, for seeing beyond this and helping push me forward to Sochi. I am ready to begin this journey, I will not let this define me.
5:10 PM - 15 Jan 2014
https://twitter.com/AshWagner2010/statuses/423577997846016000

If you have a complaint against USFS, that is a separate matter. Don't take it out on Wagner.

(I am sad for Mirai, but I don't see Wagner as a villain.)

I don't think that it's Ashley's tweets so much as the fact that Ashley is tweeting again that is that poster's concern. Of course, if Ashley feels up to it again more power to her. I do hope though that she has people who are filtering any negative tweets against her.

:confused: Your personal opinion that they shouldn't have gone is not a valid reason. Either body of work should dictate, or Nationals results should dictate. The reality is, there is no way to explain a rational and consistent basis for the USFSA's actions, although some have contorted themselves into pretzels trying. The capricious decisionmaking of USFSA is most definitely bad for athletes and the sport.

One of the best, and most sensible posts yet on the subject! :thumbsup:

In complete agreement with this post. Where will the USFSA draw the line when it comes to Mirai? If next year she were to place second at Nationals, would they deny her a spot in a world team because she hasn't been to Worlds in 4 years?? Does she have to become again a National champion so they allow her to go to Worlds?

This is where it gets sticky - technically, by the USFSA's own criteria, even a National champion can be denied a spot at a Worlds or Olympics based on the previous seasons' 'body of work'. It's slippery ground to be sure, but the precedent has been set at the recent Nationals.

So sorry for Mirai.

Takahashi versus Kozuka:

Wagner versus Nagasu:

So "absolutely not a fair decision" becomes "a matter of "fairness"" :eek:hwell:

:clap:

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
Kozuka is a world medalist who had strong results on the GP last season (including a win and appearance at the GPF), and Nagasu hasn't had even close to that last season.

Takahashi made 7 errors in his SP and FS, whereas Ashley wasn't nearly as bad in her freeskate. Ashley also had a far better GP performance this season than Takahashi.

I don't find my two statements hypocritical -- I said in both cases that it isn't fair that Kozuka and Mirai didn't get to go, based on their placements (Oda, too). However, I also acknowledge that the reasons for Takahashi going and Wagner going are rather logical. I personally found Kozuka not going to be more grievous than Nagasu not going, based on his results last season (which Mirai hadn't achieved) and based on him placing two places higher than Takahashi. And I personally find Wagner going over Nagasu a smarter, more justifiable decision than Takahashi going over Kozuka, for the reasons above and the reasons people have discussed.

I agree with everything you wrote.
It seems seeing both sides of the story is becoming a rare gift these days.
When one says "I feel bad for Kozuka/Nagasu and I'd have hoped they'd sent him/her", one becomes a "die-hard über-fan" for some on this forum.
When one says "I still understand and or approve of the decision to send Takahashi/Wagner", one becomes a hater of Kozuka/Nagasu for some.
When one says both statements, you can hear the braincells of some frying, unable to compute! :laugh:

Welcome, jdlee!

Please try again. Use the "Reply to Thread" button at the bottom of the page, left, rather than the "Reply" button below a particular post. :)

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
This is where it gets sticky - technically, by the USFSA's own criteria, even a National champion can be denied a spot at a Worlds or Olympics based on the previous seasons' 'body of work'. It's slippery ground to be sure, but the precedent has been set at the recent Nationals.

In practice, it won't. There would have to be 3 (or 2, depending on the number of spots) women with a strong body of work who all lose to the champion for that to happen. This year, there was one, Wagner. Gracie in 4th would not have gotten on the team. I honestly don't know how you can look at Mirai's costly tendency to UR triples and think she would be a better representative than Ashley based on Mirai place 1 spot higher at Nationals. Again, the point of all this is to send a team in which two can be used to on the team event and hopefully one can get an individual medal. If Mirai did this SP at the Sochi team event it would be a disaster, but expected.

"Body of work" seems to be something we made up, not a phrase taken from the USFSA rule book.

The rules give a list of specific events , in decreasing order of importance, that the selection committee is charged with taking into consideration. Ashley's body of work can be evaluated at our leisure after she retires, but her claim to a spot on the Olympic team rests on the specific accomplishments (last year's Worlds, GP final, etc.) that are specified in the official communications.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I agree with everything you wrote.
It seems seeing both sides of the story is becoming a rare gift these days.
When one says "I feel bad for Kozuka/Nagasu and I'd have hoped they'd sent him/her", one becomes a "die-hard über-fan" for some on this forum.
When one says "I still understand and or approve of the decision to send Takahashi/Wagner", one becomes a hater of Kozuka/Nagasu for some.
When one says both statements, you can hear the braincells of some frying, unable to compute! :laugh:

I agree. You can't say you like Wagner without people assuming you hate Nagasu. You can't say that you like Sotnikova without people assuming you hate Lipnitskaia. You can't say you like Chan without people assuming you hate Hanyu. You can't say that you like Kim without people assuming you hate Asada. It's absolutely ridiculous. :laugh:

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
I agree. You can't say you like Wagner without people assuming you hate Nagasu. You can't say that you like Sotnikova without people assuming you hate Lipnitskaia. You can't say you like Chan without people assuming you hate Hanyu. You can't say that you like Kim without people assuming you hate Asada. It's absolutely ridiculous. :laugh:

I LIKE EVERYONE!!! :clap:

Okay, not entirely true, but I don't make it my mission in life to crap all over skaters I don't particularly care for like some people do. There isn't one skater I just absolutely hate or can't stand. I definitely have skaters I prefer over others but it's not that serious for me. It used to be back in the days of Michelle but ever since she left I actually enjoy figure skating a lot more b/c I'm not nearly as concerned as I used to be when it comes to results. I have my favorites that I like to see do well but 9 times out of 10 if my favorite doesn't win, one of my other favorites will.

Much more relaxing to just sit back and watch...:biggrin:

louisa05

Final Flight

I liked both Weir and Lysacek. I was pretty close to getting kicked off all the skating boards for that. Seemed to be the ultimate in fan sins.

I love Mirai. I was gutted for her after her lp at Nats last year. But I also like Ashley and think she deserved the spot. If I were in charge I would have bumped Polina, not for disliking her but because it is a tall order for a skater's first international senior event to be the Olympics.

bekalc

Record Breaker
So sorry for Mirai.

Takahashi versus Kozuka:

Wagner versus Nagasu:

Well I have a problem with Dai making it. mainly because I feel he's only had one good competition this year NHK. Skate America (disaster), Japan open not good (Nationals disaster) etc. Worlds wasn't brilliant either.
So for me it was a big issue of what kind of shape Dai's actually in.

IF we are going to talk about someone who has a body of work argument IMO it was Oda. Yes Dai beat him at NHK but Oda skated consistently well throughout..

I'd feel differently if Dai had more than one good competition this year.

To be frank Dai's placement on the team is a lot like Plush's. Don't get me wrong not nearly as bad or egregious but based on more on what they once were than what they are now.

Layfan

Record Breaker

Thanks for this!

I truly enjoy the skating of all seven of the skaters you listed.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I agree. You can't say you like Wagner without people assuming you hate Nagasu

For that matter, according to Twitter Nagasu sent Wagner a message of support and encouragement after the decision was made. Too bad many of Nagasu's fans resorted to the opposite.

Actually it STILL hasn't cooled off on twitter - seems like near every tweet about the 2014 US team still provokes at least 1 "Nagasu deserved it" or "hope Wagner (or Edmunds) bombs", etc.