Will Mirai Appeal Decision for Olympic Team? | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Will Mirai Appeal Decision for Olympic Team?

Daisycat

Spectator
Not sure I understand if USFS selection comittee has final say. Patricia St. Peter said during press conf. that these are the athletes they are Nominating for the US figure skating team to be presented to the US Olympic comittee. This implies that US Olympic committee does not have to accept nomination. I would assume that is where Mirai's appeal is going. Can anyone clarify.

brightphoton

Medalist
I feel "nothing to do with race" is over-stating it. Just a gut feeling, no excel spreadsheet, but I think in the US, a non-white skater has to skate 10% to 15% better than a white skater to be ranked equally.

Yes, the USFSA loved their Chinese-American Kween and they did give her a spot in 2006. I also think that they would've preferred Michelle to be white. But she skated extremely well, so her ethnicity was, hmm, overlooked. Michelle also had Frank on her side, which can never be underestimated. What happened when Zhang or Nagasu have no political connections?

Nagasu has had a hit-and-miss career these past 4 years, but it's not like Edmunds skated lights out on the junior (JUNIOR!) GP either.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Okay I am really confused now. Please tell me this whole thread was actually all based on gossip, innuendo and there never was an appeal? Now that is tragic - a waste of time, resources and also to a point was hurtful to the reputation of various skaters and the Skating Fed. I hope Mirai can decide now that she has more funding as she is back on the US a team probably whether she wants to continue skating. maybe even for a year since many top skaters will retire. However, she should also consider with the fact skating isn't the same and pro situation isn't as viable about getting some schooling because skating probably won't be there forever.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Not sure I understand if USFS selection comittee has final say. Patricia St. Peter said during press conf. that these are the athletes they are Nominating for the US figure skating team to be presented to the US Olympic committee. This implies that US Olympic committee does not have to accept nomination. I would assume that is where Mirai's appeal is going. Can anyone clarify.

if you follow the court of law thinking the Oly committee will probably rubber stamp the US skating committee who decided selection unless Mirai can show why one of the other three skates is clearly not fit ie a Nazi supremacist, a killer, cheated etc. or that the us skating fed didn't something improper that amounts to something very large for the USFS tog et involved. a statement such as the US skating federation is in the best position to decide and we will not tamper with their suggestions. Courts say that all the time and hence they often don't tamper with lower court's decisions.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Love the quote "sunlight is the best disinfectant." So, let's shed a little light on the process. No question that internationally and lately Wagner has outscored Nagasu. But how is it that Nagasu outscores Edmunds except for this Nationals? So, if I was Mirai I would use the logic - I was better than Ashley at Nationals but she was better internationally so Wagner is on the team. But using the same train of thinking, I have distinguished myself better on the international level than Edmunds so why am I not the third choice? Why does the selection committee reverse its logic with comparing me with Edmunds?" Also why wasn't the same logic used with Zhang and Bartholomay in pairs? They beat the former US champions and a pair with some international recognition (Denney and Coughlin) by barely half a point. Zhang and Bartholomay have very little international exposure. Why wasn't the "stronger" international pair picked here? I actually like Z and B over D and C so I'm ok with the selection. But the objectivity is flawed when the various selections are compared.

The USFS has published the Olympic selection criteria, which include results from the past two seasons: Nationals, Worlds, JW, GP, JGP, GPF, JGPF. Polina won 2013 Juniors and two JGP gold medals this fall, qualifying for the JGPF. She finished just out of the medals but did finish 2nd in the FS at the JGPF against a group of very tough Russian girls. Mirai was 7th at 2013 Nationals. She was 8th at NHK and 3rd at CoR. Mirai's top score (175.37 at CoR) is only 4.16 points higher than Polina's highest JGP score; Junior programs have one less element than senior programs and are scored lower on PCS.

Denney/Coughlin did not compete at Nationals and Worlds last season because John had to have hip surgery. He apparently has not completely recovered as he is still having some jump problems. Z/B were third at Nationals last season.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I feel "nothing to do with race" is over-stating it. Just a gut feeling, no excel spreadsheet, but I think in the US, a non-white skater has to skate 10% to 15% better than a white skater to be ranked equally.

Yes, the USFSA loved their Chinese-American Kween and they did give her a spot in 2006. I also think that they would've preferred Michelle to be white. But she skated extremely well, so her ethnicity was, hmm, overlooked. Michelle also had Frank on her side, which can never be underestimated. What happened when Zhang or Nagasu have no political connections?

Nagasu has had a hit-and-miss career these past 4 years, but it's not like Edmunds skated lights out on the junior (JUNIOR!) GP either.

Agreed but so let's just say on the criteria they are essentially tied because of their crappy last four years then the tie breaker is nationals and who beat who????

invisiblespiral

Record Breaker
1. White girl
2. White girl
3. Non-white girl
4. White girl

Who does the selection committee choose?
1. White girl
2. White girl
4. White girl

Sure looks odd.

edit: just found out that this was also the decision for the World team as well.

GP Results:

1. 3rd and 4th
2. (Junior) 1st and 1st, 4th at final
3. 8th and 3rd
4. 2nd and 1st, 3rd at final

Season's Best Scores:

1. 69.45 SP, 117.20 FS, 186.75 total
2. 57.78 SP, 113.51 FS, 171.21 total
3. 60.44 SP, 114.93 FS, 175.37 total
4. 69.26 SP, 127.62 FS, 194.31 total

Average International Scores:

1. 66.14 SP, 116.09 FS, 182.28 total
2. 52.82 SP, 113.40 FS, 166.23 total
3. 55.73 SP, 102.82 FS, 158.54 total
4. 68.05 SP, 123.88 FS, 191.83 total

Range Between Highest and Lowest International Scores:

1. 6.62 SP, 2.22 FS, 8.94 total
2. 9.58 SP, 0.23 FS, 9.50 total
3. 9.43 SP, 24.23 FS, 33.66 total
4. 2.51 SP, 8.15 FS, 6.76 total

It isn't so black and white once you look at the numbers.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Okay I have a plan. They send Mirai to the olympics as one of the 3. She skates the short program in the team. Gets "injured" or even has a mental breakdown and as long as the rules allow it they bring in Polina. If they keep it on the hush and it is allowable well there is your answer I know it isn't great but it is the best I can think of right now. As for trying to say why didn't then send D and C in pairs or Max Aaron again it depends on the committeees weiging of the criteria factors. the other solution just send Gracie and say no one else gets to go - I know that won't happen but if children can't play nicely...lol

brightphoton

Medalist
^ *shrug*

like I said, you can wiggle an argument how you like. But I think if you use only senior GP results, it would look a little different. I don't even think junior and senior events can even compare.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Wagner does not have a Frank Carolll connection at all. He has never coached her. Frank coaches Gracie, has coached Polina ad hoc, and full time coached Mirai.

If anything, the Caroll link between Nagasu, Polina and Gold with Frank could have been serendipity.

but Polina and Gracie have the Frank Caroll connection
would have been easiy to politick Ashley for the Olympics Team with Caroll's bad blood from Mirai

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Oh I agree Ashley in no sure bet but I dont think the criteria is who is more likely to bring home a medal and that too would probably favour Wagner.

ivy

On the Ice
I would have gone 1 2 3. If Ashley had done well in either phase of the competition then maybe, but a weak SP and FS just doesn't cut it for me.

I also think Polina got better PCS here then she will internationally and probably should have finished 3rd.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Polina won JGP events and was 4th at the final behind ladies not even going to Sochi and 3 Russians that are not their best. We have absolutely no idea how Polina will fare in a senior intl competition. Will she shine? Will she be another Caroline Zhang or Lip who fail to do well internationally at the senior level? Will she fill out and lose her jumps?[/B] We just don't know.

excuse me :unsure:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
The Olympic team has three Asian-American skaters (the Shibutanis and Felicia Zhang). 2010 had two (Nagasu herself and Amada Evora). Looking at other skaters from different minority groups - Kwan was nominated in 2006 (when Rena Inoue was an Olympian) and was on the team in 2002 and 1998, as well as being an alternate in 1994. Kyoko Ina was on the Olympic team in 2002, 1998 and 1994. 1992 had Kristi Yamaguchi, 1988, Debi Thomas, 1984, Tiffany Chin. This is just from Wikipedia browsing, so I may have missed someone.

I'm not sure how far back you have to go to find a US Olympic team without any non-white skaters on it, but my guess would be pretty far back. No, the team is not as diverse as some (e.g. Team France). But if the USFSA is racist, they have a strange way of showing it.

Last edited:

Rami

Rinkside
It's good that she is writing an appeal. The fact that they left out of not only the Olympic team but also the worlds team, is wrong. If the federation doesn't take her appeal seriously, she can always send it to CAS.

I just hope she has someone with legal knowledge to help her.

cinnamon

On the Ice
At least, Mirai should be sent to the Worlds, as Japanese Federation offered to Yukari.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
2008 World Team Selection. Kimmie Meissner wasn't even 4th at that US Nationals, but Katrina Hacker didn't go to Worlds because of Kim's previous record.

From what I remember, Team Hacker specifically requested NOT to be placed on the World Team. I don't understand the reasoning for it, I mean strike while fire's hot. We don't know if Hacker had wanted the World team if she would have been denied.