Can Gracie win the gold in Sochi? | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Can Gracie win the gold in Sochi?

Layfan

Record Breaker
There is going to be such huge pressure on the American skaters. I am thinking that the bronze is going to go to Julia or Mao. No one can touch Yuna's scores if they scored like the last Olympics.
I think the best hope for the American skaters is when Yuna and Mao retire. The American skaters should look at this as an Olympics for experience.
I think there is going to be more pressure on Julia - a Russian starlet skating on home soil - and Mao - a global star and gold medal contender - than on Gracie or Polina. Despite this thread, the only true expectation for them is to do well so that their stars keep rising. Ashley is under more pressure but that's different.

RABID

Final Flight
I think there is going to be more pressure on Julia - a Russian starlet skating on home soil - and Mao - a global star and gold medal contender - than on Gracie or Polina. Despite this thread, the only true expectation for them is to do well so that their stars keep rising. Ashley is under more pressure but that's different.

I agree with you on Polina, Ashley and Julia. I don't agree with you on Gracie. I can't believe she is deaf to the noise surrounding her this last year or for that matter the "official" blessing she has just garnered from the judges. No way she is oblivious to this new amped up level of expectations. Expectations equal pressure.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
CanadianSkaterGuy said:
I would say Sotnikova has a better chance than Gold. She'll get higher PCS, especially on Russian ice. And if we want to compare their consistencies, it's not like Gold is much better. However if both go clean, you would imagine that with fair judging Gold would have the slight edge given her higher GOE on jumps and greater difficulty.

Without really getting into the Who-would-win-scenario, how is Gracies overall layout that more difficult than Adelinas? It's true for the SP, but in the LP, Adelina plans 3Lz3Lo, which is definitly more difficult than a 3Lz3T, and she has the 2. big combo, the 2A3T in the 2nd half.
It's true she has trouble with consistency, but that doesn't change that the difficulty she attempts is high. And while Gracie has better technique, Adelina still scores good on GOE. It would be really interesting to see how clean Gracie vs clean Adelina vs clean Julia would be scored.

Memelah711

Rinkside
I don't think Gracie will win the gold in Sochi; I believe that will go to Mao or Yuna. Frank has really transformed Gracie already, I think her best is yet to come. I do believe she can finish in the top five though :)

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
It would be really interesting to see how clean Gracie vs clean Adelina vs clean Julia would be scored.

In an "all go clean" scenario, Adelina would definitely come out on top not only b/c her higher difficulty but b/c of the hometown advantage. Adelina has been the Russian federation's favorite for the last 4 or 5 years so if she managed to deliver at the Olympics on home ice, she'd definitely come out on top. I think it would be extremely close b/w Julia and Gracie but I'd give the nod to Julia. Again, home ice advantage in addition to the fact that Julia has been kicking butt all year long on the GP. I think Gracie would score very high but it wouldn't be enough to place in front of the two Russians, similar to what happen to Mirai in Vancouver. She skated lights out and earned a really high score but it wasn't enough to beat out the favorites.

yuki90

On the Ice
Plus Yu Na's often awkward positions,
;)
Wow.YuNa is not a spinner but her spin and position is better than Caro, Akiko.
Did you know Yuna got the Highst score in spins among ladies at 2013 World?
Artistry depends personal. there are so many experts and figure skaters think Yuna's artistry is untouchable.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
In an "all go clean" scenario, Adelina would definitely come out on top not only b/c her higher difficulty but b/c of the hometown advantage. Adelina has been the Russian federation's favorite for the last 4 or 5 years so if she managed to deliver at the Olympics on home ice, she'd definitely come out on top. I think it would be extremely close b/w Julia and Gracie but I'd give the nod to Julia. Again, home ice advantage in addition to the fact that Julia has been kicking butt all year long on the GP. I think Gracie would score very high but it wouldn't be enough to place in front of the two Russians, similar to what happen to Mirai in Vancouver. She skated lights out and earned a really high score but it wasn't enough to beat out the favorites.

Probably so. If the competition were on neutral ground though clean Gold would beat clean Julia and quite possibly clean Adelina as well. However if all skate equally well in Sochi she will be homecourted. The only ones safe from losing to a clean Julia and clean Adelina in Russia are Kim and Asada, provided they skate reasonably well.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I don't think Gracie can win gold. However, I think she is the most capable of skating two clean programs than anyone besides Yuna. The problem is that a lot of skaters can beat Gracie if clean: Adelina and Julia (home country score inflation), Mao, Ashley (significant PCS edge from international judges), Carolina, and Akiko (who gets great PCS when clean). All of the skaters do 3 triple shorts (except Mao) and 7 triple longs (except Yuna) so Gracie won't have too big of an edge in BV.

I am not sure Ashley would beat a clean Gold anymore. U.S Nationals might be a big turning point in such a thing, as Gold will probably be backed as the U.S #1 now, and as they are relatively evenly matched, that could make all the difference.

You also forgot Yu Na Kim who I would give some chance of beating a clean Gold if she herself also skated cleanly, along with those you already mentioned.

Becki

Medalist
I'm not sure why the Sarah Hughes 2002 surprise win is coming up, it was under the totally different 6.0 system.

Anyway, Gracie really thinks she can win a medal:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...-gold-olympic-hopeful-figure-skating/4479561/

That's like Max Aaron saying he can win the OGM.

But it's a good attitude to have - believing in yourself. Honestly, Gracie Gold does not have an impressive international resume, and if she does medal, it would've probably been a result of a dull competition.

jaylee

Medalist
I'm not sure why the Sarah Hughes 2002 surprise win is coming up, it was under the totally different 6.0 system.

Anyway, Gracie really thinks she can win a medal:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...-gold-olympic-hopeful-figure-skating/4479561/

Well, she can definitely win a medal in the team event, since it's very likely that the team podium will consist of CAN/USA/RUS in some order.

Having seen Gracie live at 2013 Worlds and at 2014 Nationals, I have to say that she has improved significantly in presentation. If she's perfect, she has all the technical goods to be a medal contender, and her PCS will surely jump up accordingly. I can definitely see her as a world champion one day.

However, for the Olympics that are about a month away: I don't think she has the most competitive programs, especially the short program, which is not going to be helpful when so many of the veterans are also doing lyrical, emotional short programs which have maturity and depth that can't be taught. At least Gracie's previous short program was unique, this one is just generic. So that's one issue. The FS is a good showcase for Gracie's power, though it's not exactly an accurate reflection of Sleeping Beauty (Zijun's program was far superior, though her skating isn't as powerful as Gracie's).

The other issue is simply the lack of competitive experience at a big senior international event. Gracie did a good job keeping it together at 2013 Worlds, it was a respectable debut. I don't think that and 2014 US Nationals are enough experience to give her the confidence she needs to perform like a medal contender when the pressure is on. We see far more experienced veterans melt down when that OGM is on the line. And things will change now that Gracie (and others) expects to bring home a medal. Gracie came into US Nationals a bit under the radar, having not made the GPF, and more of the focus was on Ashley since she was the defending champ. I think that helped Gracie. That simply won't happen at the Olympics. So how will she deal with it?

It took Gracie two US senior nationals to figure out how to deal with the pressure and learn how to win. She's been to Worlds once, and at her second Worlds, I can definitely see her getting a medal (heck if Kimmie Meissner could win the title at a post-Olympics Worlds, anything is possible there). But I think the Olympics are happening one season too soon for her. She can grab an Olympic medal if the veterans have problems and she's near perfect--her TES potential makes that possible. But will she be perfect at the Olympics? Will the veterans all flop? Yes, anything can happen at the Olympics, but it's unlikely that both of these things happen simultaneously.

Which is fine. This will be a fantastic experience for Gracie. 2016 Worlds is in Boston, and I'd be surprised if she didn't have a world medal by then already. By 2018, she'll have the resume that she simply doesn't have at this point. She'll be in perfect position then.

Nadia01

Final Flight
Eh, it's all subjective. Certainly Yu Na has grace but she does not have aesthetically appealing positions on spins and she has never tried to point her feet. While she is widely respected by everyone, there are many former skaters who fault Yu Na's skating on those aesthetic points that are lacking. Yu Na is obviously an amazing jump technician (her technique is much better than Mao's). I would also say that Yu Na has lovely lyrical qualities and a sense of musicality altho' she is not really a great master of musical interpretation. Lyricism and musical expressiveness is more Mao's strength, but neither Mao nor Yu Na, in my humble estimation possess the grace and magic of Michelle Kwan (despite Kwan not having a good free leg position most of the time on her layback spin). Kwan skated with such courage and such connection to the audience. Yu Na is much more reserved emotionally. Mao conveys more emotion than Yu Na, but not in the magical, all consuming way of Kween Kwan. These are my opinions. Glad you have your own. :)

Gracie has seriously improved her movement qualities, slowed down to feel the music more and quieted her arms, under the wise guidance of Frank Carroll. Certainly Gracie has a lot of room for continued improvement as she discovers more of who she is and learns how to express that to the audience. Whereas, Yu Na and Mao at this point are not going to be making many more improvements to their weaknesses.

Yes. Those ugly unpointed toes negate all the other good qualities about her skating, thus giving Gracie the OGM she richly deserves for pointing her toes. :laugh:

Zamboni

On the Ice
That's like Max Aaron saying he can win the OGM.

But it's a good attitude to have - believing in yourself. Honestly, Gracie Gold does not have an impressive international resume, and if she does medal, it would've probably been a result of a dull competition.

Gracie has just started her senior career. I do think Gracie has a real chance to be a star. She has good jumps, her presentation has really improved, she's pretty, and best of all (for her) YuNa and Mao will retire. :laugh:

Well, she can definitely win a medal in the team event, since it's very likely that the team podium will consist of CAN/USA/RUS in some order.

Having seen Gracie live at 2013 Worlds and at 2014 Nationals, I have to say that she has improved significantly in presentation. If she's perfect, she has all the technical goods to be a medal contender, and her PCS will surely jump up accordingly. I can definitely see her as a world champion one day.

However, for the Olympics that are about a month away: I don't think she has the most competitive programs, especially the short program, which is not going to be helpful when so many of the veterans are also doing lyrical, emotional short programs which have maturity and depth that can't be taught. At least Gracie's previous short program was unique, this one is just generic. So that's one issue. The FS is a good showcase for Gracie's power, though it's not exactly an accurate reflection of Sleeping Beauty (Zijun's program was far superior, though her skating isn't as powerful as Gracie's).

The other issue is simply the lack of competitive experience at a big senior international event. Gracie did a good job keeping it together at 2013 Worlds, it was a respectable debut. I don't think that and 2014 US Nationals are enough experience to give her the confidence she needs to perform like a medal contender when the pressure is on. We see far more experienced veterans melt down when that OGM is on the line. And things will change now that Gracie (and others) expects to bring home a medal. Gracie came into US Nationals a bit under the radar, having not made the GPF, and more of the focus was on Ashley since she was the defending champ. I think that helped Gracie. That simply won't happen at the Olympics. So how will she deal with it?

It took Gracie two US senior nationals to figure out how to deal with the pressure and learn how to win. She's been to Worlds once, and at her second Worlds, I can definitely see her getting a medal (heck if Kimmie Meissner could win the title at a post-Olympics Worlds, anything is possible there). But I think the Olympics are happening one season too soon for her. She can grab an Olympic medal if the veterans have problems and she's near perfect--her TES potential makes that possible. But will she be perfect at the Olympics? Will the veterans all flop? Yes, anything can happen at the Olympics, but it's unlikely that both of these things happen simultaneously.

Which is fine. This will be a fantastic experience for Gracie. 2016 Worlds is in Boston, and I'd be surprised if she didn't have a world medal by then already. By 2018, she'll have the resume that she simply doesn't have at this point. She'll be in perfect position then.

I definitely think Gracie can be a world champion. And yes, the team event will be interesting. Only one of the ladies can skate in it, right? Or one in the short and one in the long (I think the whole team event is kind of confusing). They'd probably use Gracie for that.

Hey, perhaps the U.S. does have chances at a skating medal other than in Ice Dance! :)

what is she or anyone supposed to say?

I like her positive attitude. I think it will take her far. I was quite impressed by her at nationals. She has really improved and doesn't look headcasey anymore. :thumbsup:

RobinA

On the Ice
Eh, it's all subjective. Certainly Yu Na has grace but she does not have aesthetically appealing positions on spins and she has never tried to point her feet. While she is widely respected by everyone, there are many former skaters who fault Yu Na's skating on those aesthetic points that are lacking. Yu Na is obviously an amazing jump technician (her technique is much better than Mao's). I would also say that Yu Na has lovely lyrical qualities and a sense of musicality altho' she is not really a great master of musical interpretation. Lyricism and musical expressiveness is more Mao's strength, but neither Mao nor Yu Na, in my humble estimation possess the grace and magic of Michelle Kwan (despite Kwan not having a good free leg position most of the time on her layback spin). Kwan skated with such courage and such connection to the audience. Yu Na is much more reserved emotionally. Mao conveys more emotion than Yu Na, but not in the magical, all consuming way of Kween Kwan. These are my opinions. Glad you have your own. :)

Gracie has seriously improved her movement qualities, slowed down to feel the music more and quieted her arms, under the wise guidance of Frank Carroll. Certainly Gracie has a lot of room for continued improvement as she discovers more of who she is and learns how to express that to the audience. Whereas, Yu Na and Mao at this point are not going to be making many more improvements to their weaknesses.

Judging by all the adulation, I thought I was the only one who noticed Kim's flat feet. While I agree she has many qualities, consistency being one of them, her feet make me want to claw my eyes out. To me this is not a small matter, because it is so elementary. It's like showing up with dirty, scuffed boots and unwashed hair.

And yeah, they do negate many of her good qualities. Too me, anyway. The judges don't seem to care a bit, so I doubt they will be scoring her so as to make the podium free for toe pointers.

jaylee

Medalist
I definitely think Gracie can be a world champion. And yes, the team event will be interesting. Only one of the ladies can skate in it, right? Or one in the short and one in the long (I think the whole team event is kind of confusing). They'd probably use Gracie for that.

USA can have a different skater do the SP versus the LP in two of the 4 disciplines. They may make that decision before the event starts, they may change their minds depending on the standings after the SP. They may take into account a skater's requests and/or strengths.

YunaBliss

On the Ice
As of now, I'm just over Yu Na, and Mao -- their time and their battle was sooo four years ago.

From what hole did you crawl out of?? Yuna going for second OGM to match Katarina Witt will be one of the biggest storylines of the Olympics, and Mao, with her resurgence, will be her biggest rival.

Judging by all the adulation, I thought I was the only one who noticed Kim's flat feet.

Yes, only you and a handful of yuna-bashers like A&S there.

Yuna is the only skater in the history of figure skating to never place off the podium in one's entire career.
Yuna is also the only skater in the history of figure skating to win either SP or LP segment in every single senior competition.

And here you are, talking about her "flat feet". In fact, I hate ostentatious toe-pointing a la Sasha Cohen. It's a stylistic difference, but to me, it impedes the artistic presentation rather than aids it, by making the skater look less natural and even robotic.

ks777

Record Breaker
From what hole did you crawl out of?? Yuna going for second OGM to match Katarina Witt will be one of the biggest storylines of the Olympics, and Mao, with her resurgence, will be her biggest rival.

Yes, only you and a handful of yuna-bashers like A&S there.

Yuna is the only skater in the history of figure skating to never place off the podium in one's entire career.
Yuna is also the only skater in the history of figure skating to win either SP or LP segment in every single senior competition.

And here you are, talking about her "flat feet". In fact, I hate ostentatious toe-pointing a la Sasha Cohen. It's a stylistic difference, but to me, it impedes the artistic presentation rather than aids it, by making the skater look less natural and even robotic.

Why are you attacking other posters for having their opinons? take a chill pill.