2014 Olympic medalist prediction | Golden Skate

2014 Olympic medalist prediction

fredtx121

On the Ice
Men:
1.Yuruzu Hanyu JPN
2. Patrick Chan CAN
3. Daisuke Takahashi JPN

I think it's Patrick Chan's Olympics but feel he will make errors in his free program, opening the door for Yuruzu.

Ladies
1.Yu Na Kim KOR
2. Akiko Suzuki JPN
3. Mao Asada JPN

Yu Na Kim is a lock for gold. Even with mistakes, she will still take home the gold. Akiko has a great free program this year. If she skates both programs clean I can see her winning the silver. I have Asada in third because i think she will fall or make a mistake on 1 of her triple axels in the short / long.

Pairs
1. Volosozhar/Trankov RUS
2.Savchenko/SzolkowyGER
3.Pang Tong CHN

I really want the German pair to win, but since the Olympics are in Sochi. It will probably go to the Russians, especially since Russia doesnt really have any other medal contenders in the other disciplines.

Ice Dance
1. Davis/White USA
2.Virtue/Moir CAN
3.Pechalat/Bourzat FRA

This is a tough one but I think Davis /White will pull off the gold this time. Third is a toss up, but I think Pechalat /Bourzat will beat the Russians.

Team Event
1. Canada
2. USA
3.Russia

mirai4life

1Lo <
Record Breaker
Men:
1. Patrick Chan
2.Yuruzu Hanyu
3. Jeremy Abbott

Ladies
1.Yuna Kim
2. Julia Lipnitskaia
3. Akiko Suziki

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Men:
1. Patrick Chan
2.Yuruzu Hanyu
3. Jeremy Abbott

Ladies
1.Yuna Kim
2. Julia Lipnitskaia
3. Akiko Suziki

Wow. I really hope you're right. This would be great for the sport IMHO.

Horizon

Rinkside
Men:

1. Patrick Chan
2. Yuzuru Hanyu
3. Evgeni Plushenko (if he does go to the Olympics)

Ladies:

1. Yuna Kim
2. Mao Asada
3. Julia Lipnitskaia

s_parks

Record Breaker
Men
1. Patrick Chan
2. Yuzuru Hanyu
3. Tatsuki Machida
Not sure about bronze. I personally hope Denis gets on the podium, but I'm not getting my hopes up or down.
Ladies
1. Yuna Kim
2. Mao Asada
3. ???
I can imagine at least 5 different ladies winning bronze, so I'm really not sure. Julia and Ashley are my top picks though. Other top ladies aside, I can see Zijun as a darkhorse, maybe a medal given she can get her pcs up with 4cc.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Men:
1. Patrick Chan
2.Yuruzu Hanyu
3. Jeremy Abbott

Ladies
1.Yuna Kim
2. Julia Lipnitskaia
3. Akiko Suziki[/QUOTE

This ladies podium has crossed my mind too but I'm going to go with Yuna, Mao and Julia though not necessarily in that order. But in my heart of hearts I want Yuna, Mao and Caro or Yuna, Mao and Akiko.

I love your men's podium. Wouldn't it be wonderful if those three men gave their best performances?

I think the gold is a toss up between Patrick and Yuruzu.

kzarah

Le Patineur et sa Petite Lulu
On the Ice
I don't think Chan is going to do it. It is very possible he will but I think he is jinks.

kresslia

Medalist
I don't think Chan is going to do it. It is very possible he will but I think he is jinks.
Yeh,all male Canadian world champions screw up at the Olympics. Canada isn't helping by saying "COULD HE BE THE FIRST CANADIAN MAN TO WIN THE GOLD MEDAL AFTER YEARS OF DISAPPOINTMENT?!?!" constantly during every single competition.

Manitou

Medalist

He is Canadian, so he must follow Browning's and Orser's footsteps and mentally fall apart. Otherwise I will question his Canadian-ship. :)

--

Danibellerika

Medalist
Ladies
1 - Yuna Kim
2 - Julia Lipnitskaya
3 - Mao Asada

Ladies Dream Podium
1 - Mao Asada
2 - Carolina Kostner
3 - Julia Lipnitskaya

Men
1 - Patrick Chan
2 - Yuzuru Hanyu
3 - Javier Fernández or Daisuke Takahashi or Evgeny Plushenko

Men Dream Podium
1 - Daisuke Takahashi
2 - Patrick Chan
3 - Jason Brown or Jeremy Abbott
I was a Plush fan back in the day but he has enough Oly bling imo. If it's not gold then he can free it up for the rest.

Pairs
1 - Tatiana Volosozhar / Maxim Trankov
2 - Aliona Savchenko / Robin Szolkowy
3 - Pang Qing / Tong Jian

Pairs Dream Podium
1 - Pang Qing / Tong Jian
2 - Aliona Savchenko / Robin Szolkowy
3 - Don't really have a third preference

Ice Dance
1 - Meryl Davis / Charlie White
2 - Tessa Virtue / Scott Moir
3 - Ekaterina Bobrova / Dmitri Soloviev

Dream Podium
1 - Meryl Davis / Charlie White
Don't have a second or third choice

Team Event
1. Russia
2. Canada
3. USA but Japan could surprise

lovegoodxo

Rinkside
Ladies prediction:
1. Yuna Kim
2. Julia Lipnitskaia
3. Mao Asada

Ladies dream:
1. Ashley Wagner
2. Adelina Sotnikova
3. Gracie Gold

Men's prediction
1. Yuzuru Hanyu
2. Patrick Chan
3. Daisuke Takahashi

Men's dream
1. Javier Fernandez
2. Jason Brown
3. Patrick Chan

Pairs prediction/dream (the only event my faves have a chance!!)
1. Volosozhar/Trankov
2. Savchenko/Szolkowy
3. Pang/Tong

Ice dance prediction:
1. Davis/White
2. Virtue/Moir
3. Bechalat/Bourzat

Ice dance dream:
1. Virtue/Moir
2. Coombes/Buckland (ppftttt;))
3. ShibSibs

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Mens:

1. Hanyu
2. Takahashi
3. Abbott

Ladies:

Gold- Kim
Silver- Suzuki
Bronze- Lipnitskaia

Pairs:

Gold- Voloszhar & Trankov
Silver- Savchenko & Szolkowy
Bronze- Stolbova & Klimov

Dance:

Gold- Davis & White
Silver- Virtue & Moir
Bronze- Weaver & Poje

Ven

Match Penalty
Ladies after SP:

1. Yuna Kim (~80)
2. Mao Asada
3. Adelina Sotnikova
4. Akiko Suzuki
5. Julia Lipnitskaia

After LP:

Gold - Yuna Kim
Silver - Akiko Suzuki
Bronze - Julia Lipnitskaia

Mao and/or Adelina can get on there if they go clean in the FS but good luck with that I guess. I'd prefer to see Adelina on the podium though.

Really feel good about Yuna and Akiko. I think we will have 3 very special and deserved winners whoever makes it on the podium, I wish for no controversy!

miki88

Medalist
Ladies after SP:

1. Yuna Kim (~80)
2. Mao Asada
3. Adelina Sotnikova
4. Akiko Suzuki
5. Julia Lipnitskaia

After LP:

Gold - Yuna Kim
Silver - Akiko Suzuki
Bronze - Julia Lipnitskaia

Mao and/or Adelina can get on there if they go clean in the FS but good luck with that I guess. I'd prefer to see Adelina on the podium though.

Really feel good about Yuna and Akiko. I think we will have 3 very special and deserved winners whoever makes it on the podium, I wish for no controversy!

I feel you are overestimating Akiko's chances and her ability to go clean at big competitions. Also, Mao, perhaps even Adelina, doesn't even need to be clean to beat Akiko, whereas Akiko has to be very near clean. If Mao goes clean in the SP and repeats her NHK performance, she will have enough lead to edge Akiko's national performances once you adjust the scores on an international level. It's unlikely she will get PCS scores that high even for a clean skate or GOE total of up to more than 10 pts. Only Carolina and Yuna can get up to that GOE level. Now that Adelina and Julia are getting high PCS as well, I feel they are now judged on the same level, or slightly more than Akiko (I don't think they should, but it seems the case after Euros). I think Adelina has more scoring potential because she will earn more GOE's for jumps, because they are bigger and have more distance. She also will probably receive home town boost. That's why I believe she might not even need to be perfect to beat Akiko. One also has to consider that Akiko is most likely going to do the LP in the team event and how it will affect her condition in the individual event.

Realistically speaking, Yuna and Julia's are the safest picks for the podium. Adelina and Akiko are medal contenders but they haven't demonstrated the level of consistency that convince me their chances are greater than Mao. Neither has gotten ISU scores that has yet exceeded Mao's, even with the huge PCS boost received by Adelina at Euros.

Ven

Match Penalty
Oh, I know Akiko has to go clean in the FS. She has the most to gain and the most to lose going clean or not. I just have a very good feeling about her and her program, whether it be the FS in the Team Competition or Ladies Singles, I think she will have a standout performance.

I'm hoping for Adelina too, and I feel good about her SP. Her LP seems like a longshot though, we'll see.

desertskates

Medalist
This is just what my gut says after seeing everyone's nationals (Europeans, etc) for the ladies:
1. Yuna
2. Adelina
3. Julia
4. Mao
5. Akiko
6. Ashley

Sk8er4life

Spectator
I think in Ladies..
1-Yuna Kim
2-Mao Asada
3-??
I am so confused for 3rd place,I can see so many people getting it Ashley Wagner,Julia Lipnitskaia,maybe another Japanese skater or someone really far out

SamuraiKike

Medalist
Japan announced it's team roster:

http://www.nikkansports.com/sochi2014/figureskate/news/p-sochi-tp0-20140121-1246921.html

Yuzuru Hanyu (SP), Tatsuki Machida (FS)
Mao Asada (SP), Akiko Suzuki (FS)
Narumi Takahashi & Ryuichi Kihara (SP+FS)
Cathy Reed & Chris Reed (SD+FD)

Murakami's chances of olympic medal are gone. Dai needs to kill it at the individual event to get his second medal. If Japan pulls up to bronze the freaking Reeds will be olympic medallists, oh well.

RABID

Final Flight
This is just what my gut says after seeing everyone's nationals (Europeans, etc) for the ladies:
1. Yuna
2. Adelina
3. Julia
4. Mao
5. Akiko
6. Ashley

My gut is starting to hurt a little bit. Out of all those ladies you chose, guess which one ISN'T participating in the Team event? It makes me wonder if Mao will gain an advantage over YuNa by the time the singles competition gets underway since by then it will be Mao's second time competing which gives her a second chance to polish up her short or free program. Not as sure as I was before now as I also had YuNa first (and Mao second). :think:

Ven

Match Penalty
It could be a disadvantage for everyone not named Yuna. There's something to be said for having a "fresh" program and performing in the moment.

Remember last year at the WCs, the EuroSport guys said after Yuna's Les Mis: "we just want to see her skate it again".

But if she had actually gone out there and skated the program again ... do you think it would have had the same effect? I say no.