Ladies LP - 2014 European Championships | Page 24 | Golden Skate

Ladies LP - 2014 European Championships

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Yes, her PCS were overscored but so were Sotnikova's. I also think that this was Julia's best performance performance-wise so she did deserve a high PCS. At least around 64, which still would have been enough for victory. I also thought that Kostner deserved more PCS, maybe like 73-74 but at the end of the day, the differences were clear and none of this affected the placements - The podium was exactly as it should have been considering how everyone performed.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If my comments appears over-criticizing, that's not what I intended. Perhaps I am over-passionate to make Julia a perfect skater. no one in right mind say that Julia is not a talent itself.

Am I to assume that you read my, since detracted, 5am rant en route to the ice rink?

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
@Mao88 thank you once again for videos, you are amazing! :bow::points:

I have been watching the competition alive in the arena. I was waiting to see the ladies alive after watching them so many times in records and videos.

My impressions:
Carolina Kostner was breathtaking. THAT was FIGURE SKATING at its best. She couldn't win with the errors, but still VERY memorable. Her advantage in PC scores must have been at LEAST 1,5 points in each and every cathegory. Judges starts to give too high scores to mediocre skaters and than it deletes
the difference in the top, because no room remained to mark the difference (same in Ice Dance). If I/K gets 9s, Davis/White and Virtue/Moir MUST have something like 11,5 points.....

Julia Lipnitskaya was the only WOW experience to date in the whole European Championships . I thought her jumps are small and she is very small etc.
Watching her alive changed completely my opinion. She has the whole package, which is VERY rare in ladies skating.
She is emotional without "emoting" herself.
Her technique is immaculate jumping and spinning as well. Her edge could improve. Thinking of the Oly Champs Lipinski or Hughes or Baiul, Lipnitskaya is in a completely different league right now in this age. She is a small ballerina with a very natural style and tastefullness.
I surprised myself to say that (because being a fan of +beautiful skating+ ala Yu-Na, Mao and Carolina), this kid has a good chance for a medal, even a shot for GOLD medal in Sochi.

Adelina Sotnikova impressed me more on video than alive. She is good, she is very good, a lots of potential, but it is very obvious that she is WORKING on the ice and collecting points. Very small poetry included, and almost no ethernity. Still impressive technique.

Thank you for the report bigdeal!

Just one small thing, to be 'alive' is a state of being versus the alternative which is to be dead. You watched Europeans LIVE not alive, Adelina impresses more on video LIVE, not alive. :biggrin: Thank you once again for the report! :rock:

Alex D

Record Breaker
I really really enjoy the perspective shared from those who were at the event. Thank you so much. It sheds a perspective that you just don't see on tv. I usually watch the crowds reaction and especially noticed people jumping during Julia's final spin. Must have been electric. Caro too seemed to move the crowd. It must have been a great event to attend.

Live always gives a better judgement, thats why journalists shouldnt write reviews from home or infront of a stream ;)

Julia was magical, maybe the best skate at this years euro, together with Adelinas SP.

AS for the event itself, you missed some great performances, but also many negative aspects. The ISU needs to wake up and the Fans need to be more fan AS well and less a hater or greedy in General.

seniorita

Record Breaker
^What do you mean?
I was on the 5th cloud in general, I just noticed some organising issues, but not something major.

I have seen Asada GPF skates lots of time, Mao is Mao and is up there and Julia is another skater, i didnt event try to compare them, I m not blind on her faults, but she is not just another skater.

Nater

Match Penalty
Surely I can't be the first one to say this but those gloves on Adelina are hideous. How on earth can her people make her wear those gloves?

Probably because she got tired of cutting her hands on Beillmans and catch foot spins/spirals? Remember how many times Gracie Gold would comment on her cuts in the Kiss and Cry last season. I remember 2-3 competitions where that happened.

They aren't really hideous or extremely distracting gloves, anyways. You can barely see them.

I have a bigger issue with some of the sheer costumes she has worn, where you could basically see through them. The gloves are ignorable.

Nater

Match Penalty
Regarding Kostner beating Sotnikova: Only a blind person would actually think that should be the case. Kostner's programs have always been pretty bad outside of *some* of the choreography and the step sequences. Tons of telegraphs and dead space from skating into jumps. Mediocre jumping. Terrible spinning, and "kind-of" odd jump layouts.

Sotnikova is like 6/6 on Triple Flips in her last two competitions. Has she finally vanquished that demon?

Given how many skaters end up in the K&C with bloody fingers because of all the catch foot spins they do, I think it's a level-headed approach. It's almost unrecognizeable for the judges and the live audience without the zoom-ins of the camera.

Bah... You got to it way before I did. I should have caught up on the thread backwards :)