Pairs SP 2014 European Championships | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Pairs SP 2014 European Championships

tulosai

Record Breaker
Well, looks like S/K don't want to be the number 3 team in Russia either... though they probably will land in 4th behind B/L for now.

Because skaters should receive GOE for each element, based on the quality of execution of that specific element and each PC score should be based on how well the criteria for that specific PC were fulfilled instead of getting high (or low) marks for everything just because they have made a good (or bad) general impression.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I just came back from dinner and its over ? :mad:
I am shocked B/L are 3rd, so that means Bazarova landed her tiny jumps

Kirk

Rinkside
S/K get HIGHER PCS than B/L!!
They also edged out B/L at Nats. Not by much but clearly enough to alarm that judges are leaning towards them now. I just hope V/T don't get out of the scene after their OGM. At least stay for a season or two. From the way it looks Russian pairs really need them.

lisa1986

Spectator
stolbova/klimov and bazarova/larinov interpretation higher berton /hotarek is ridiculous!: Think:

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
I'd have prefered if S/K had finished ahead of B/L because of their commitment to interpreting the musical theme. I'd have given them a bigger PCS lead than 0.31 points.
But 0.80 points behind is OK, they can overtake them with a good FS...
There were a lot of good performances in those last 2 groups, after all the mistakes we saw earlier!

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Stupid question maybe, but why is it important to be the number two or three Russian pair, when they are so close. Russia has three spots for Sochi, right? And Kavaguti/Smirnov are out?

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I'd have prefered if S/K had finished ahead of B/L because of their commitment to interpreting the musical theme. I'd have given them a bigger PCS lead than 0.31 points.
But 0.80 points behind is OK, they can overtake them with a good FS...
There wer a lot of good performances in those last 2 groups, after all the mistakes we saw earlier!

and B/L arent known for clean FS,
S/K are capable of higher FS if they are clean

alebi

Medalist
Wow it was a great competition, every top pairs gave the max and i think this is what figure skating fans want to see, apart from supporting their favourite :)

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Stupid question maybe, but why is it important to be the number two or three Russian pair, when they are so close. Russia has three spots for Sochi, right? And Kavaguti/Smirnov are out?

Pairs stacking, you'll get bigger support too from international judges
notice how S/K have higher PCS now than B/L after they won Nationals

They also edged out B/L at Nats. Not by much but clearly enough to alarm that judges are leaning towards them now. I just hope V/T don't get out of the scene after their OGM. At least stay for a season or two. From the way it looks Russian pairs really need them.

Initially, they had plans to retire after Sochi from what I heard but I think they will stay. It makes total sense as they should be able to comfortably win every event for the next couple of years at least. There is nobody anywhere near their scores.

stolbova/klimov and bazarova/larinov interpretation higher berton /hotarek is ridiculous!: Think:

B/H don't have the basic skating of the Russian teams but they definitely had a more complete program in terms of CH and IN.

Kirk

Rinkside

Yes Russia sends 3 pairs to Sochi. Kawaguti and Smirnov are out because Smirnov sustained serious injuries that required a surgery. AFAIK they are still on the fence on whether to continue or not. But Kawaguti recently remarked that she wants to continue so there's a hope.

bramweld

Record Breaker
Because skaters should receive GOE for each element, based on the quality of execution of that specific element and each PC score should be based on how well the criteria for that specific PC were fulfilled instead of getting high (or low) marks for everything just because they have made a good (or bad) general impression.

You are right you know because objectively when judges do this they just take the interest out of a competition. But the onus is on S/S to consistently skate so well that they'll be disposed to give them those marks. They wasted too much time trying to go for that throw triple axle. Its unfortunate as many a time I sense that performance grades are based on reputation rather than the actual performance.

What can I say I was just excited for them!!

tulosai

Record Breaker
Pairs stacking, you'll get bigger support too from international judges
notice how S/K have higher PCS now than B/L after they won Nationals

This. And if B/L ultimately beat S/K here it will flip the other way again in terms of PCS for Olys, but if S/K beat B/L here the gap will probably widen slightly more. Of course this is only assuming relatively clean programs... if either team bombs a program and the other team goes clean on that program, the clean team will have higher PCS.