Under The Gunn - Anyone Watching?? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Under The Gunn - Anyone Watching??

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I'm about to get Very Opinionated Here. LOL!

1. Mondo is an attention ho. I thought all of his outfits on this episode screamed Look at me! Look at me!
2. It's hard to get emotionally invested with the finale when it's so truncated. I missed the home visits. Even the All Stars Season didn't rush its finale the way UtG did.
3. Apparently the theme for this finale was Magpie. So many tacky shiny gaudy fabrics. So many ugly metallics. They had $500 per outfit to spend. Where was the expensive silks? cashmeres? Were they restricted for 50 out of 60 minutes to the metallics aisle?
4. Much as I love Shan, leather and lace is Yawn City. What is the next step after cliche? It should tell you that his best outfit by miles was his red jumpsuit, which kept the lace to the back. Though the leather/lace jacket was original and interesting. The rest screamed I Have No Inspiration So I'm Going To Try Very Very Hard And Throw Everything I Have At You And Hope You Don't Notice.
5. Asha. I go to Harlem on a regular basis. Most--in fact pretty much all--women there do not dress like Princess Metallic Tackiness. And you were a b*tch to the end.
6. What were the regular judges smoking that they praised Asha? "The next level"? I give them credit for not saying next level of what. Interesting that Heidi and NPH both thought her collection was a miss. I guess the other three refused to share what they were smoking.
7. Sam's first and last outfits were miles beyond anything else he designed the whole season. But NPH was right: there was no wow moment.
8. Oscar's 2nd and last outfits were, by farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, the best looks of the whole show. That second top is gorgeous. Smart of him to pair it with a relatively simple pair of black pants.
9. I'll bet Oscar had Natalia knit that strange white cuff thingy to keep her out of his way while he worked. "No, Natalia, it's more important to make me something that will compliment the whole collection. Excuse me while I go back to the sewing room." He probably told her to knit him a sweater, but you know how bad she was at time management...
10. The judges got it right (except I'd switch Shan and Asha).
11. So glad to see Nick get the Mentor award. Such a typical Lifetime arc, though.
12. How much do you wanna bet we won't see a second season?

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Because spinoffs from Project Runway never seem to catch on. Which is a shame--I actually liked, for the most part, the structure of the show. And I adore Tim Gunn, who is a national treasure. But we'll see.

heyang

Record Breaker
I thought they alll presented good collections. A lot is about point of view.

Sam is a ready to wear designer and that's what he preseented. If he had tried to do something totally different (like Mychael Knight and some extent Shan), he would've either had artistic block and/or the judges could've bashed him. I think Uli partially last her 1st season because she had a ready to wear look as compared to Jeffrey S's more couture looks.

Asha's was interesting, too. Growth wise, I could only think they were referring to contruction because I thought this was the best construction she's had all season.

Shan's collection wasn't 'him' enough IMHO.... I knew he was in trouble when he said he was blocked. I'm surprised Anya didn't try to help him edit his looks. However, I had hoped he would do better than Asha because Shan has been such a nice guy. His kids were really cute in the audience, too.

I knew Oscar won when he got so much applause. How can a judge ignore that factor? I thought he was in trouble on his 1st look, but after that outfit, everything was gorgeous.

I always enjoy NPH too. I think he and Heidi were great choices for guest judges for the finale and they brought good insights with fresh eyes as compared to the regular judges who saw all the previous work.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I thought it was interesting that Oscar's cape outfit was gorgeous and so elegant in white, but looked dowdy and heavy in black.

ETA: I just went back to look again and that first dress was a sort of mashup of the Pompeii team dress and the day-to-night dress. No wonder it didn't work!

Heyang, I like Shan as a person also, as well as for his design smarts. I do hope he does well in the future. I'm sure that getting to the finals is some kind of boost to a designer's career, much as finishing in the top five has helped many American Idol contestants. For example, I think Ulli has done rather well. In fact in her second foray on PR, the All-Stars season she took part in, she seemed to have increased and diversified her skills. Instead of doing the same kinds of flowy print dresses, she often did textured items with no prints at all. I loved her print garments during her first season but enjoyed her work even more during her All-Star season. Likewise, Mychael Knight seems to have made a name for himself, and of course Austin Scarlett with his wedding gowns. So someone like Shan might be able to find a spot for himself in the industry, even if it's just locally at first. I hope so. I imagine any company would enjoy having a worker who's fast, knowledgeable, and nice (probably a team player).