Has Russia said when they'll announce their decision re: Plushenko or Kovtun 4 Olys? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Has Russia said when they'll announce their decision re: Plushenko or Kovtun 4 Olys?

Icey

Record Breaker
Will the test skate be judged by credentialed judges? Open to the press? the public?

gmyers

Record Breaker
I believe all historical precendent supports a voronov naming!! But the fed instituted a special test skate for plushenko so maybe that would be out. But now plushenko I think is under enormous pressure to do a two quad fs! Kovtun voronov menshov all have done two quad fs successfully. Plushenko hasn't done two quads since Japan open 2012 i think.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
I don't care who Russia announces. My favorites are more like Jeremy, Jason, Hanyu, Chan, Takahashi, Fernandez, Verner, Yan... :laugh:

Ven

Match Penalty
It's going to be Plushenko, otherwise they would have already named Kovtun.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Whatever their decision, that man must compete in both the team event and individual event. Speedy has cleared up the substitution rule. Substitutions for countries entering the team event due to injury or illness must be done before the start of the team event (Feb 5, 10 am deadline). If a participating athlete gets injured (Plushenko, etc) in the team event or after, he will not be replaced for the individual event. http://www.artonice.it/?q=it/node/15250

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't think Menshov is under consideration. He botched not only his Euros SP but his National one. Both times he popped the quad sal and had no combo. The article with Gorshkov didn't even mention him.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Plushenko doesn't have to do two quads to reach voronov and Menshov score though... He even got above Fernandez score at Sheffield with one quad and not in combo.
Really I wouldn't want to be near RF now, they don't have a podium contender or someone who is sure to skate 4 times well enough.

Last edited:

spikydurian

Medalist
If there are only two choices - Kovtun and Plushenko, and after the recent European Champs, I guess RD is likely to go with Plushenko.

aschiutza

On the Ice
I think that russian federetion had to forget about the single competition. None of the top russian male skaters have chances for a medal there. What it counts, is the team competiotn where they need a reliable skater. So IMO is between Plushenko and Voronov.

If i were a fan of Kovtun, i would keep my finger crossed that he is not choosed. He is still too young, has a lot of time to proove himself. But f he botches in the team competition and the team wont medal, he will be the anti-hero for the people in Russia and everybody will scream why Plushenko was not sent or why not Voronov was not sent, when Kovtun has not good showings in important competions. He himself seems to have expectation beyond his place and was made thinking he is better than he is. This is not good for his future if he won't deliver it at Olympics.

Let Kovtun grow and improve without putting on his shoulders the expectation of the whole nation.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Whatever their decision, that man must compete in both the team event and individual event. Speedy has cleared up the substitution rule. Substitutions for countries entering the team event due to injury or illness must be done before the start of the team event (Feb 5, 10 am deadline). If a participating athlete gets injured (Plushenko, etc) in the team event or after, he will not be replaced for the individual event. http://www.artonice.it/?q=it/node/15250

Assuming no trickery or other written loopholes.

I think that russian federetion had to forget about the single competition. None of the top russian male skaters have chances for a medal there. What it counts, is the team competiotn where they need a reliable skater. So IMO is between Plushenko and Voronov.

If i were a fan of Kovtun, i would keep my finger crossed that he is not choosed. He is still too young, has a lot of time to proove himself. But f he botches in the team competition and the team wont medal, he will be the anti-hero for the people in Russia and everybody will scream why Plushenko was not sent or why not Voronov was not sent, when Kovtun has not good showings in important competions. He himself seems to have expectation beyond his place and was made thinking he is better than he is. This is not good for his future if he won't deliver it at Olympics.

Let Kovtun grow and improve without putting on his shoulders the expectation of the whole nation.

Pretty accurate, and if that's the case, I'd send Plushenko. Get Kovtun focusing on Worlds, where a top ten spot is realistic (especially with the expected retirements).

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
What it counts, is the team competiotn where they need a reliable skater. So IMO is between Plushenko and Voronov.

Given that the ISU has now closed the loophole of someone being allowed to step in for him if he's injured (because of his own unfortunate statements), Plushenko is the most unreliable pick they could make.
According to his past record of injuries, the whole attention during those OGs would be focused on "will he even show up in the next event?"
All those athletes who fought hard to qualify for the OGs deserve more respect than having all attention taken from them, just like what happened with the Kerrigan/Harding situation in 1994. I really hope they send someone else than Plushenko.

aschiutza

On the Ice
Or there would be no attention for figure skating at all, as now our german eurovision sent the figure skating on the second sender and the national sender shows only bits of it.

How many people would turn the TV for Kovtun or Voronov and how many people will tunr for Plushenko? I am not speaking abot FS and goldenskate-forums... But for the normal poeple who loves fight against the odds and legends beyond some PCS about which they have no idea?

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
How many people would turn the TV for Kovtun or Voronov and how many people will tunr for Plushenko? I am not speaking abot FS and goldenskate-forums... But for the normal poeple who loves fight against the odds and legends beyond some PCS about which they have no idea?

If those are the criteria to determine who goes to the Olympic Games, then I 100% agree with you, Plushenko is by far the best option.