There's a petition to send Mirai to Sochi with 4,308 so far | Page 3 | Golden Skate

There's a petition to send Mirai to Sochi with 4,308 so far

skateluvr

Record Breaker
^You make good points. But the facts remain that when you have one of the best coaches ever that helped you get to one Olympics, you and your family need to make the sacrifice. Maybe Mirai was offered free lodgings. People there don't need room and board. Likely the parents wanted to pay but couldn't and woul not accept what they surely, culturally would see as "charity." Pride is the deadliest sin for a good reason and father of all others. If only Mirai's parents had said to daughter. "Mirai, we have all worked years to get you to the top, and we support whatever is needed-fly a few miles from the nest-we will talk and visit when we can." Mirai made a fatal mistake-or her parents in terms of her career. She is not a victim and is done very well for herself-how many skaters wish for opportunities that she had plus the innate talent?

I bet the parents and Mirai now regret that they did not push her when they should have. Do they wish their bright daughter to skip college? Or must she enroll in a day program to stay close to them? At what age will they trust people other than Japanese relatives? Mirai was criticized a lot for her childish behavior and things she said. Skaters are famously immature and protected, but her parents did her a disservice. The world is changing rapidly. One day you have family, next day they are gone. The best parents raise independent children. Mine were not good in many ways, but at 24, without speaking a word of Spanish, I set off for Guatemala, alone. Me who was afraid of everything but adventure. I went to learn Spanish, knowing I'd be more employable as a "helper" (social worker) if I were bi lingual. And now I cant do any trip alone. So Ireally do feel for Mirai, envy this very close family with a long history of cultural differences, but when you are an elite figureskater trying to become the best in the world, two hours away with a coach you know was no big deal. Really, Mirai was always so little girlish. Is Mirai happy now that her future may be running the family restaurant? I don't think so. Look atr her gala skate. She sobbed. She skated so beautifully.

Leaving Frank was where Mirai went wrong. We see she CAN rotate her jumps. And her body was more defined. So when she trains hard, she gets results. I also think Evan Lyasacek was agreat influence on her. It is very hard to be your own master. Most skaters need a touvh coach who knows when to crack the whip. I remember hearing Frank say on Tv by the boards in 2010 that Mirai was "the best skater in the world." She was. But she did not believe him. Mirai needs to believe in herself. She never has. She has been too protected, and if she continues, Japan is the best situation to train in. She must feel like a grown up there, in charge. I have found her adorable, and her LP in Vancouver was off the hook. Everyone appreciates Mirai. But it was a case of not enough and too late. Another door will open, but she needs to look. If the parents are still making her decisions, then she should be encouraged to find something else she likes to do, and see if college is financially possible. Scholarships should be easy given her resume.

Figure 8's

On the Ice
Only 4,308? Not a lot for all the noise some have been making. Mirai has been more gracious about it than many of her fans.

ANW

On the Ice
not much noise? well, that's because not many people in the US watch/care FS these days.
Only 4,308? Not a lot for all the noise some have been making. Mirai has been more gracious about it than many of her fans.

mary01

Final Flight
Agreed. But petitions aren't going to make the USFSA change their minds. The dunderheads.

Well even if it doesn't change their mind, and the team remains as it is, it will still make a difference since this will give them something to think about, and reflect upon!

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
That's just silly. Thousands of teenagers move out of the house at age 17 or 18 - yes, many to go to college, which is arguably a protected environment in some respects, but so would have been Mirai staying with a host family in Palm Springs, which I believe is what Frank said he desired for her. Not to mention many thousands of older teenagers move out of the house completely to get jobs, have their own apartments, pursue dreams in Hollywood, etc. And when you look at elite young figure skaters, I'm sure proportionally many more of them move out on their own or relocate, even across the world, to pursue their dreams.

Now, perhaps some of Mirai and her family's objections were cultural. Or maybe not, maybe her parents are just uber protective. But in a way, it seem symptomatic of why she hasn't been able to succeed at the highest levels, despite so much clear potential.

Anyway, I enjoy Mirai and I'm glad she had a good personal performance at Nationals. What's done is done, the decisions of 2010 or 2011 cannot be taken back now. I wish her the best at 4CC, would love to see her on the podium there.

If you think it is silly then you are not sensitive to cultural differences. In the culture I grew up for example, a girl was expected to live with her parents until marriage.

In any event, Frank said in interviews that the deciding factor above all was distance. He and Mirai did not have any problems between themselves. He said IIRC that Mirai would arrive 'exhausted' after a 2 hour drive (4 hours roundtrip). That would tax anyone day in and day out. Mirai's family finances were also sited as an issue. Remember that she lost funding as she went down in the ranks. I suspect this is the reason why her choreography hasn't been top drawer these past few years.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...nagasu-wendy-olson-world-junior-championships

But logistics played the major part in ending their professional relationship.

When Carroll stopped coaching at the Toyota Sports Center near Los Angeles airport and moved to a rink in Cathedral City so he could be closer to his home in Palm Springs, it left Nagasu (and her mother, who drove) with a four-hour commute two days a week. She worked with a variety of other coaches (and trained some days on her own) at rinks closer to her home in Arcadia the other days.

Nagasu told me earlier this year that her mother would not let her live on her own near Cathedral City and that such an arrangement would have taxed the family's finances in any case.

Frank Carroll in the same article quote:
"There was no problem between us as people," he said. "The two-hour drive each way was too much. She was exhausted by the time she got here."

How can you say she wasn't willing to take ownership? Money doesn't grow on trees some are limited... She made the choice to go to Japan and train under Mura and has made improvements. She needs more time with him obviously but you can't comment on skaters financials, you don't know them.

:agree:

Well even if it doesn't change their mind, and the team remains as it is, it will still make a difference since this will give them something to think about, and reflect upon!

Maybe. At least now they know the backlash that can happen when skaters ranked above others are left off of the Olympic team.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
at this point and time it is time to move on. Mirai has 4ccs and the olympic team needs to focus or the US could find themselves slipping down the ice and hitting a wall. Let the kids sleep and let politics and all be rid of.