Men FS - 2014 European Championships | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Men FS - 2014 European Championships

SamuraiKike

Medalist
Why does Italian Federation make TERRIBLE decisions about sending their skaters to the Olympics?

Bacchini in 2006, Fontana in 2006, now Parkinson in 2014. UGH.

Karel Zelenka was sent in 2006. I would send Bariev to Sochi :(

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
Pavel IGNATENKO (BLR)

Music: The Man in the Iron Mask (soundtrack) by Nick Glennie-Smith

Black pants and T-shirt with lots of gold and silver chains. Cuff on left arm

3A+2T - not a lot of ice coverage, but landed
3A
3F - e
3T
CSSp
StSq
3Lz - stepout, added futile +2T
3Lo - hand down
3Lz
CCoSp
2A+2A+SEQ
ChSt
FCSp

Good start to the program, but some messy landings crept in.

FS: 60.67 + 55.42 = 116.09 (PB), 172.08 (PB), 2nd (out of 4)

auser

Record Breaker
Uh, just what we all needed, another Carmen.
:laugh: Just thinking the same thing. He does look like a lovely young skater though. Flashed back to a list of drinking game rules for watching USA Nationals competition that was posted on Twitter.
If Carmen program, take a drink.

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
doesn't this bright orange I mean neon orange shirt just scream west side story to you? not :slink:

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
Yakov GODOROZHA (UKR)

Music: Westside Story by Leonard Bernstein

Blue "jeans" pants, tight orange shirt w/ blue collar

3A - hand down, fall
3Lz+3T - bit twofooted on lutz and toe
3A - fall, no combo
2F - stepout
FCSp - slow
StSq
3Lz
3Lo
2A
CCoSP
3S - skid landing
ChSt
CSSp

Falls on both triple axels and some other messy landings.

FS: 47.35+56.44-2.00 = 101.79, 158.88, 3rd (out of 5)

bartlebooth

Record Breaker
:laugh: Just thinking the same thing. He does look like a lovely young skater though. Flashed back to a list of drinking game rules for watching USA Nationals competition that was posted on Twitter.
If Carmen program, take a drink.

Carmen, Swan Lake, R&J, West Side Story... one can develop a drinking problem by the end of the season!

Frenchie

Medalist
Raya's really bringing it! Enjoyable to watch :)
EDIT: ok,
Lz e; F<; S< stepout - still enjoyable ;)

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
Javier RAYA (ESP)

Music: Sing Sing Sing by Louis Prima; Sing Sing Sing by Glenn Miller

Black pants, black/grey vest over white short. Blue tie

3A - borderline < on replay
3T+3T
3Lz
CCSp
3F+2T
2A+2T+2T
StSq
3F - stepout, looked <
3S - stepout, hands down
FSSp
ChSt - spread eagle, steps
2A
CCoSp

Some messy landings, but overall a very solid skate. He fist pumps and looks very happy.

FS: 59.04+63.20 = 122.24 (PB), 179.37 (PB), in 2nd (out of 6)

EdgeCall

Record Breaker
Carmen, Swan Lake, R&J, West Side Story... one can develop a drinking problem by the end of the season!
I wonder how "risky" it is to skate to a previously untried and unchoreographed music. A wrong choice of music or a poor choreo may make it more difficult for the jurors and the audience to connect to the performance, and degrade the skaters chances. Maybe this is why tried and proven music is prefered (and overused). How well can experienced coaches/choreographers foresee how a new music will be received in the skating hall?

Weiss touches on the russian men's situation, that Plushy will have a test skate next Tuesday and that the Olympic Team will be announced after that.
He says the rumour is: Plushy will do the Team event and another one will do the individual, but that's forbidden IN THEORY.
BUT loophole with wd'ing after the team event

There's no loophole any more. ISU just published a communication forbidding replacements between the team event and individual event.

Frenchie

Medalist
There's no loophole any more. ISU just published a communication forbidding replacements between the team event and individual event.
I know, I was just translating ;)
Cool interview with Streubel, for those who understand German that is. Describing the situation in Germany, lack of internal competitions to increase level. Very honest about lacking PCS, and acknowledging all those involved in working on that (Pasquale Camerlengo who did the programs; René Lohse;... )

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
Viktor PFEIFER (AUT)

Music: Breath of Life by Audiomachine; Sad Piano by Michael Orteta; Guardians at the Gate by Audiomachine

Black pants, black loose shirt with tapered sleeves and pleather details.

3Lz - 'tano
3F
3Lz+2T
CCSp
3Lo
1A
StSq
3S+3T
3T+2T+2T
2A - stepout
CCoSp
ChSt - hydroblading, steps
FSSp

Problems with the double axel, but otherwise solid. He smiles

FS: 62.59+65.58 = 128.17, 189.06, 1st (out of 7)

bartlebooth

Record Breaker
I wonder how "risky" it is to skate to a previously untried and unchoreographed music. A wrong choice of music or a poor choreo may make it more difficult for the jurors and the audience to connect to the performance, and degrade the skaters chances. Maybe this is why tried and proven music is prefered (and overused). How well can experienced coaches/choreographers foresee how a new music will be received in the skating hall?

It's absolutely true, and that's why I appreciate when someone comes out with something original (Papadakis/Cizeron with woodkid, for instance). Newcomers may want to rely on a well-known music and character, but the risk is to fall flat and really don't bring anything new to the piece - then again, Samantha Cesario's take on Carmen was heartfelt and nice to see. I'd like top tier skaters to take risks, either with less known music or with a radical, "signature" aprroach to warhorses, but I understand that it is about ticking boxes and scoring points at the end of the day.

Another beautiful, elegant performance from Pfeifer. Such a shame that he doesn't have the harder jumps.

Karel Zelenka was sent in 2006. I would send Bariev to Sochi :(

Yeah sorry. Zelenka bombing his SP and not qualifying to the FS was what I was referring to. I remember clapping to congratulate the Italian Fed whilst I was watching his SP.

bartlebooth

Record Breaker
The Axel is not his friend, but Pfeifer is really elegant (when he's not dislocating his shoulder) and musical.

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
Alexei BYCHENKO (SIR)

Music: ?

Black pants. Black/purple textured shirt with gold piping and silver stones. Black gloves

3A+2T
4T
2A+2T+2T
CCoSp
StSq
3Lo
3F+2T
2Lz
CSp
3F
3S
ChSt
FSSp

Lots of difficult jumps, but they were kinda sloppy. He needs a lot more work on posture too. But he seems pleased, and it was a solid skate.

FS: 70.00 + 65.08 = 135.08 (PB), 203.76 (PB), in 1st (out of 8)

I feel sorry for Israeli skaters having to have terrible Galit Chait choreography. Bychenko skated with a lot of speed, energy and flow throughout but his program was devoid of style and character.