Can Lipnitskaya close the gap on Mao & Kim in time for the Olympics? | Page 15 | Golden Skate

Can Lipnitskaya close the gap on Mao & Kim in time for the Olympics?

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That we don't know until the actual competition. Julia has done extremely well so far, and I respect her for that, but she has had zero experience at senior worlds/ Olympics. Plus the fact that the Olympics are in Russia, that might put extreme pressure on her and make her crumble like in COR. But then again, if she goes clean, she will be rewarded more.

This is a fair and sensible statement. All that should matter is who skates best in Sochi when it matters. Not silly notions like too junior, to old, to good not to win, and so on and so on. The best scenario is if the judges let the skaters decide the outcome. I think the top 6or7 have a fair and deserved shot at a medal. This should be upheld even at the expense of my hope for Julia getting a medal should she fail to rise to the occasion.

I guess it's just really hard to see someone you see so much talent and promise in torn apart by silly insults and ridiculous assertions of inferiority and not stick up for them. Julia is a beautiful skater and fierce competitor and one of the hardest working athletes in any sport. I'd say that is worthy of a medal as much as ANYONE else. I may be wrong but that is at least how I feel about it. May the best win. I've got my favorites and you've got yours, lets see who can deliver and all share in the magic as friends with a common interest. Now I'm really dreaming.

Country
Russia
Julia Lipnitskaia won the "Golden Podium" prize "Best Russian Athlete of Janiary 2014".
This prize is given monthly on results of voting by SMS and on sports site.
46.1% at first round (of 5 pretenders).
65.8% at final round (of two pretenders with highest result of first round).

http://news.sportbox.ru/Vidy_sporta...lotoy-piedestal-Viberi-luchshego-sportsmena-y
http://news.sportbox.ru/Vidy_sporta...pnickaya-i-Karginov-v-finale-Zolotogo-piedest
http://news.sportbox.ru/Vidy_sporta...pnickaya-viigrala-perviy-Zolotoy-piedestal-20

mskater93

Record Breaker
and one of the hardest working athletes in any sport.
I believe this could be said of any elite athlete. I don't know how you can quantify her as the hardest working athlete when compared to Mao, Yuna, Caro, Gracie, Ashley, Akiko, Kanako, Katelyn, Polina, Adelina, Zijun, Hanyu, Patrick, Jeremy, Jason, Javier, Tomas, or anyone else though. They ALL work hard or else they wouldn't be at this level. Period. I believe the more important thing to hard working is "are they working in the smartest way possible". The proof for this will be in the programs that are laid down. Look at the recent article on IN about Jeremy Abbott's approach to training to improve his competitive mindset and maintain his physical health for working in the smartest way possible - for him.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I believe this could be said of any elite athlete. I don't know how you can quantify her as the hardest working athlete when compared to Mao, Yuna, Caro, Gracie, Ashley, Akiko, Kanako, Katelyn, Polina, Adelina, Zijun, Hanyu, Patrick, Jeremy, Jason, Javier, Tomas, or anyone else though. They ALL work hard

That's my point. She is every bit as deserving of a medal as ANYONE. It was in response to the people who keep saying she basically isn't worthy of this medal or that medal do to certain constraints they have on the sport. It was in no way to implicate she deserved a medal more but simply as much as any of the other girls competing. I said I wanted the best skater of the night to win. Not the most "seniorish" or reputable and so on and so forth.

It's very easy to quantify that she is ONE of the hardest working athletes in all of sports. Look at the level of competition she has faced and measure her results. Read any article about her work out schedules and intensity level during training. If you factor in she is doing it at 15 yrs old, its easy to be wowed. I'm not saying you need to like her. I'm just trying to curb the notion that she isn't good enough for Gold and if she won it's some conspiracy or a disgrace to the sport in some way. They ALL deserve a medal, who can bring it should be the question.

Country
Russia
That we don't know until the actual competition. Julia has done extremely well so far, and I respect her for that, but she has had zero experience at senior worlds/ Olympics.
Julia had zero experience for:
Junior Internationals, and won her first JGP Event,
JGP Final, and won it,
JrWorlds, and won it,
GP Events, and had medal at her first GP Event,
the same - her first GP Final,
Senior ISU Championships, and won Euro.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
@Alexrus and Andyjo24

Mao also competed in nine Japanese nationals prior to this year winning six of them and still only managed 3rd place. This doesn't make her a less capable skater but it does suggest she is capable of less than a guaranteed medal in a field with much more depth.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
@Alexrus and Andyjo24

Mao also competed in nine Japanese nationals prior to this year winning six of them and still only managed 3rd place. This doesn't make her a less capable skater but it does suggest she is capable of less than a guaranteed medal in a field with much more depth.

I think any skater save for Kim has shown to be occasionally incapable of a medal if the field skates well.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Julia Lipnitskaia won the "Golden Podium" prize "Best Russian Athlete of Janiary 2014".
This prize is given monthly on results of voting by SMS and on sports site.
46.1% at first round (of 5 pretenders).
65.8% at final round (of two pretenders with highest result of first round).

http://news.sportbox.ru/Vidy_sporta...lotoy-piedestal-Viberi-luchshego-sportsmena-y
http://news.sportbox.ru/Vidy_sporta...pnickaya-i-Karginov-v-finale-Zolotogo-piedest
http://news.sportbox.ru/Vidy_sporta...pnickaya-viigrala-perviy-Zolotoy-piedestal-20

Awesome! And well deserved. First Russian Euros winner in 8 years! :clap:

Isabel_O'Reilly

Final Flight
I think any skater save for Kim has shown to be occasionally incapable of a medal if the field skates well.

And Julia. So far she has achieved the gold or the silver medal in every international event except for Trophée Eric Bompard, last year, where she skated while injured and nevertheless gained the bronze medal. Medaling in 13 out of 13 events over three years, she has nine gold, three silver, and one bronze.