Can Lipnitskaya close the gap on Mao & Kim in time for the Olympics? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Can Lipnitskaya close the gap on Mao & Kim in time for the Olympics?

HalfTriple

Match Penalty
If they put a clean julia over a clean yuna, they just don't do justice - -, i mean julia's ss, the quality of jumps are a mile apart from yuna...but if yuna bombs and julia is clean then of course she deserves her win, and the possibility of seeing mao clean is 0.5%, i hope she can finally skate a clean program in the olympics...

I think you do not understand the COP. The so called "clean" means a lot to the naked eyes. of course it is indeed important, but aside from a fact that what appears to be clean does not mean it is "clean" - there are many sub-contents need to be cleared - the COP does not operate that way. Even if you manage to perform without visible flaws, you are not automatically considered to win, or vice versa. Under the COP everything is compartmentalized and sectored; your failure of triple lutz wouldn't affect your triple axel. Moreover your fall on principle does not affect your PCS even if some judges will reflect it on the board. Instead you will get -1 mandatory deduction on that. Now what is critical in COP is your damage control. You may not like it but that's how the judging system works. The winner will be one who minimizes his damage and maximizes his merit in both TES and PCS. Your suggestion is only valid when those competitors are in equal level in every aspect of skating, which is not the case, unfortunately.

Ven

Match Penalty
Did anyone see Julia received +1s GOE on the 2A she botched the landing so bad she had to leave off the triple?

Mao88

Record Breaker
New article entitled: 'Lipnitskaia eyes Lipinski Olympic record'. Reads:-

Fifteen-year-old Julia Lipnitskaia, fresh from becoming the youngest woman to win the European figure skating title, has now fixed her sights on emulating American Tara Lipinski who won the Olympic gold at the same age.

Lipinski, now 31, became the youngest individual gold medallist when she won at the 1998 Nagano Games, the year Lipnitskaia was born, after taking the world title the previous year, but retired immediately after her Olympic success.

A somewhat misleading title. As I pointed out in my initial post:

If Lipnitskaya were to win the Olympic title, she would be at 15 years 260 days old, the 2nd youngest Ladies skater to ever win the title, missing the record of being the youngest by just 5 days (held by Tara Lipinski - 15 years 255 days old when she won in 1998). The current 2nd youngest is Sonja Henie, who was 15 years 315 days old when she won the title in 1928. Moreover, in winning at Euro's, Lipnitskaya became the youngest skater to win the European title

However, its frightening to think that when Tara Lipinski won the Olympic title on the 20th February 1998, Julia Lipnitskaya had not yet even been born. She was born on the 5th June 1998 - 105 days after Tara's Opympic win. Doesn't time fly....!

jatale

On the Ice
My problem with Julia possibly landing on the podium at the Olympics, is that her jumps are like little tiny hops, there is no real "jump" there. I'm sorry, but Olympic level jumps should look their name "olympic" not "miniature".

sweetskates1

Medalist
I agree!!!!!!!!!! Plus her artistry is a joke.

My problem with Julia possibly landing on the podium at the Olympics, is that her jumps are like little tiny hops, there is no real "jump" there. I'm sorry, but Olympic level jumps should look their name "olympic" not "miniature".

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
For her age, her artistry is fine. It's not even close to as refined as Mao, Sotnikova, Kostner or Kim but I remember Mao's 2010 Olympic skates being wayyy too grown up for her, and thinking that she was trying so hard to project maturity that she doesn't have. At least her SP & LP are "age-appropriate", if you will. Her jumps aren't the best in the world, but they are usually fully rotated, and she is consistent. Lipinski didn't have big jumps either, but she certainly went for exceedingly high difficulty and performed well.

Barb

Record Breaker
However, its frightening to think that when Tara Lipinski won the Olympic title on the 20th February 1998, Julia Lipnitskaya had not yet even been born. She was born on the 5th June 1998 - 105 days after Tara's Opympic win. Doesn't time fly....!
Wow, I remember it was the first OG I watched it. And it is scary that is Lipinski and Lipintskaya too .

TheCzar

On the Ice
If Julia wins, then great. Kim and Asada finishing behind her? I kind of don't give a damn anymore.

All I can say is that what makes skating great for me is that we have watched Kim, Asada, Kostner and Suzuki develop, stumble, grow and earn their merits through hard work and a very long and sustained competitive career. Julia has the potential to take over where these ladies will leave off, but if she wins, my fear would be that there's no way up for her. An OGM at 15 would be hitting the ceiling and she's only been a senior for two seasons.

Needless to say, I wish all the ladies the best.

TheCzar

On the Ice
Hopefully Mao holds up. it won't be fun if she doesn't put up a fight. At the very least- even if she does, it'll be certain that she'll put out one hell of a memorable step sequence!

Barb

Record Breaker
Well, Julia can go for the title of two-time olympic champion. If she wins gold medal in Sochi, I think she will continue competing all the way to PyeongChang in order to defend her olympic title. After all, She will be only 19 yrs old by then.
But it is improbable, Yuna and Katarina are rare cases.

HalfTriple

Match Penalty
Well, you know what they say, "NEVER SAY NEVER"...

Of course, never say never. But Chapis's assertion is fair and reasonable based on track record. The hype over Julia is just an illusion, just as Suzuki earned in Japan nationals over 210, or Osmond won national with 207 or something. People begin to think they are all too good not to clinch the podium. the word of wisdom: skaters do not become a phenom over night. What is really annoying is that the current ISU judging trend deludes people with big number without content. Remember the 2013 Worlds, the standing won't change much in Sochi as well as the gap between top rankers and the followers.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If they put a clean julia over a clean yuna, they just don't do justice - -, i mean julia's ss, the quality of jumps are a mile apart from yuna...but if yuna bombs and julia is clean then of course she deserves her win, and the possibility of seeing mao clean is 0.5%, i hope she can finally skate a clean program in the olympics...

Well, yes and no. Yu Na only does 6 triples; Julia does 7. Yu Na's jumps are better--they are better than anyone else's--but Julia has better spins and her long program is more engaging. Julia clean will score high--probably as high as Yu Na--on performance and interpretation. It would be close, overall. Yu Na would probably still win based on the GOE on her jumps and she probably gets the edge on PCS. But this would be one that would be argued about for a long time, just like Kwan and Lipinski.

Ven

Match Penalty
Julia should be receiving close to 60 PCS not 70. There's no reason for her PCS to be that high, and her GOEs on the jumps should almost always be ~0.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yuna's LP is amazing. No one can beat it if its skated to perfection. The only negatives in it are easily outweighed by her jumps amazing step up and crisp landings. Factor in her superb artistry and the table is set. I must admit the first couple times I watched I found myself wondering away at times. After watching it a few more times it really drew me in and has become one of my favorite FS's out there. Is it possible this happens to judges? By that I mean could Yuna lay down a performance that is superior only in hindsight? I think so and REALLY REALLY hope not. I want the best skater in Sochi to win as I suspect most who are involved in this sport will too. To me it's between Yuna,Mao,Julia,Adelina, and Suzuki(in any order with all DESERVING and easily being capable). I think a clean Julia could/would/should be neck and neck with Mao. I kinda thought Mao was over scored at GPF but let's not go there.

I strongly feel whoever wins will score around 209 with second and third being tight at 202'ish. I think we know who can achieve these scores. Lets go girls!!! Can't wait another second!!!

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Julia should be receiving close to 60 PCS not 70. There's no reason for her PCS to be that high, and her GOEs on the jumps should almost always be ~0.

Ven- I mean no disrespect but the way you attack, attack, attack reminds me of a certain persons FS. This line of thought seems to be the very one people on panels and in federations use to "inflate" scores. I just don't find it helpful. I do love your passion and take it with a grain of salt. I just think you could relax a bit and just enjoy what is sure to be an amazing show. I for one will be crying if a spastic tornado sweeps up the hearts of the whole world to the soundtrack of yet another standing ovation. There, I too have said it. Best wishes!!

nguyenghita

On the Ice
It would be close, overall. Yu Na would probably still win based on the GOE on her jumps and she probably gets the edge on PCS. But this would be one that would be argued about for a long time, just like Kwan and Lipinski.
Make no sense, sorry.

How can the clean Yuna win over clean Julia would be argued?????? :rolleye: :rolleye: :rolleye: :rolleye:

Instead, if the clean Julia win over clean Yuna that will be a huge upset for skating world, no matter how inflated home ice could scored :rolleye:

ahy

Final Flight
Make no sense, sorry.

How can the clean Yuna win over clean Julia would be argued?????? :rolleye: :rolleye: :rolleye: :rolleye:

Instead, if the clean Julia win over clean Yuna that will be a huge upset for skating world, no matter how inflated home ice could scored :rolleye:
Ita