Can Lipnitskaya close the gap on Mao & Kim in time for the Olympics? | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Can Lipnitskaya close the gap on Mao & Kim in time for the Olympics?

minze

Medalist
Don't take me wrong. I like Julia, I was one of them who gave her Standing Ovation and cheered to her in Budapest in the Arena.
BUT talking about details of the jumps, how it happened that she got 3 x 0 and 3x+1 (!!!) GOE for the edge-called Flutz!!

She is magnificent and makes an emotional impact on the audience with the quality and natural style and personality.
I would be happy if she was winning Oly Gold, but ONLY if Yu-na an Karolina makes mistakes or pops their jumps.
Mao can be beaten easily by Julia, because of her much worse jump technique (even worse edge and underrotations).
I'm saying that, but also like Mao. I think that her SP is the best so far this season.

What? Mao easily beating by Julia. GPF an imperfect Mao won over Julia. People on this thread are understimating Mao, she can afford to make mistakes and if judges are fsir Mao should win.

minze

Medalist
Don't take me wrong. I like Julia, I was one of them who gave her Standing Ovation and cheered to her in Budapest in the Arena.
BUT talking about details of the jumps, how it happened that she got 3 x 0 and 3x+1 (!!!) GOE for the edge-called Flutz!!

She is magnificent and makes an emotional impact on the audience with the quality and natural style and personality.
I would be happy if she was winning Oly Gold, but ONLY if Yu-na an Karolina makes mistakes or pops their jumps.
Mao can be beaten easily by Julia, because of her much worse jump technique (even worse edge and underrotations).
I'm saying that, but also like Mao. I think that her SP is the best so far this season.
Julia has beaten Carolina two times. Mao
Zero. So, easily beaten by julia not likely

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
@bigdeal

I for one appreciate a fair approach like yours stated above. :thumbsup:
On the details,its fair of you to correct me, I thought a flutz was -1 to -2 based on severity. I hardly think even Julia's worst critics would say her flutz is that severe given the speed at which its done and probably in need of video review. So if she satisfies four criteria for a GOE to earn +2 on a jump then also receives -2 for the most severe flutz possible would that not still be a 0 GOE? Do they negate the first 8 bullets if there is a flutz. I guess I'm not clear on this. Under my scenario, would not a +1 be fair if she only receives a -1 for the fluts(edge call)

My spell check does not like the word flutz!!!

Can anyone answer this...I'm unsure here.:slink:

This was in response to a poster that said Julia should never receive higher than 0 GOE for context purposes.

mary01

Final Flight
They havent met in Russia yet. And their only meeting this season when Julia became a real contender for the first time (as a senior) was in Japan. Julia was scored higher at Europeans than Mao ever has in her career, and that wasnt even in Russia. Mao has it in her power to beat Julia, even in Russia, of course. However I guarantee you that if Julia skates like Europeans or even Russian Nationals, Mao will need her best outing of the season to beat her. Skating like she did at the Grand Prix final and beating a clean Julia is never going to happen again at the Games in Russia, not a chance. An event in Japan vs an event on neutral ground, or an event on neutral ground vs an event in Russia, is already a World of difference. An event in Japan vs an event in Russia is more like a universe of difference.

Another game changer, that should be added and kept in mind is that Mao scored 207.59 while not being clean either of her programs, Julia did everything she could, and with the added inflation managed to score 209.72 That's less then two points more. That's practically nothing, Mao not doubling the 3S in NHK would have been all it would have taken to have made up the two points, or not getting level 3 in one spin would also have been enough to have exceeded Julias score (that's not even including the major points from the axels). Meaning while Julias ceiling is reached Mao's is far from reached, and Mao doesn't even need to reach her maximum ceiling to have scored higher, one less mistake would have been alll she needed to have made up the two points.
If both had reached their ceiling and these scores were the final outcome, I would be concerned but since it's not and seeing all the points Mao left here and there I'm not worried.
That following the possibility of this continuing in Sochi, another very likely scenery is that Julia and Adelinas scores will be adjusted since they are not the main or only contenders for the OL like they were at Europeans, that also makes a huge difference when making a comparison.

yuki90

On the Ice

I'm sure Julia's coach would agree on this. she said all of Asada's jumps are under rotated and land with toe not the blade.

mary01

Final Flight
I'm sure Julia's coach would agree on this. she said all of Asada's jumps are under rotated and land with toe not the blade.

If I remember correctly the one who made those atrocious comments was Elizaveta's coach after Liza finished far from the podium despite being clean in the free, and to your knowledge he made the same comments about the American and other skaters! guess even coaches can loose themselves and make untasteful and unprofessional comments in a moment of jealousy!

yuki90

On the Ice
If I remember correctly the one who made those atrocious comments was Elizaveta's coach after Liza finished far from the podium despite being clean in the free, and to your knowledge he made the same comments about the American and other skaters! guess even coaches can loose themselves and make untasteful and unprofessional comments in a moment of jealousy!

No. It was Julia's coach in interview with Russian media.

She only said about Mao, YuNa, Caro not other skaters.

Not only Julia's coach but Ksenia Makarova's coach, Evgeni Rukavitsyn said Asada's jumps are under rotated in an interview last year.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Another game changer, that should be added and kept in mind is that Mao scored 207.59 while not being clean either of her programs, Julia did everything she could, and with the added inflation managed to score 209.72

Julia was not 100% clean and could improve upon this program. Why not? She has done it all season long. Compare her now to any point in the last calendar year and tell me she has not improved each step of the way. That said I don't see Mao going clean. It's kinda not her thing these days.

Adelina has about a 50/50 of going clean and if she does it she could raise some eyebrows and sneak in for a medal. She is going to need to sell it with more than fist pumps and waiving though. She needs a bit more character in her FS and not the appearance, at least to me, that she is here to just rack up points.

Speaking of racking up points, is Mao going to do that boring skate around the rink for the first minute in her FS with zero artistic value while attempting two jumps purely for points that you get on sloppy landings too thing and what are the odds of it being clean?

Are the days of Yuna vs Mao closing or are they already done?

mary01

Final Flight
Julia was not 100% clean and could improve upon this program. Why not? She has done it all season long. Compare her now to any point in the last calendar year and tell me she has not improved each step of the way. That said I don't see Mao going clean. It's kinda not her thing these days.

Adelina has about a 50/50 of going clean and if she does it she could raise some eyebrows and sneak in for a medal. She is going to need to sell it with more than fist pumps and waiving though. She needs a bit more character in her FS and not the appearance, at least to me, that she is here to just rack up points.

Speaking of racking up points, is Mao going to do that boring skate around the rink for the first minute in her FS with zero artistic value while attempting two jumps purely for points that you get on sloppy landings too thing and what are the odds of it being clean?

I don't think that Julia suddenly losing the "e" is realistic, and technically that's the only way she could improve. as for her development since last year or the beginning of this season, I don't see a big difference, the only visible difference is that she got two better programs choreographed this season, but she hasn't regressed either, that also has to be said.
Like I mentioned earlier Mao wouldn't need to be completely clean to beat Julia, and the reason behind that I have already explained in my previous post.
as for you finding it boring to witness the only skater in the world try to land 2 3A's back to back, that's your opinion, I honestly can't think of something more exciting, no choreography or dramatic expressions can make up for that in my book. To your last question, I can only say that this is a sport where the judges can suddenly create a rivalry and make it vanish, that's just how much power they have, being favored and to be in the judges favor is huge advantage, no wonder so many skaters are choosing and changing programs according to what the judges like, instead of following and trying to find their own style, we will have to wait and see what will happen in Sochi!

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Great points. I do think Mao's 3a is exciting. Could she not work them into her program better, I'd say yes. It's just lost in the presentation to me. I know people don't like Julia's flexibility being so prevalent either but at least it's used somewhat tastefully IMO. I think Mao can bring it and she is a huge threat and one of the best ever. I really respect her and should leave it at that but Julia does have a shot to beat her and has closed that gap in my eyes.

minze

Medalist

Julia coach should talk about Asada. She needs to worry about fixing her students technique instead of worrying about a two time world champion with an Olympic medal. by the way, according to some people she was misquoted don't know I don't speak Russian

minze

Medalist
No. It was Julia's coach in interview with Russian media.

She only said about Mao, YuNa, Caro not other skaters.

Not only Julia's coach but Ksenia Makarova's coach, Evgeni Rukavitsyn said Asada's jumps are under rotated in an interview last year.

I forgot you love quotes. Didn't you say yesterday you have not seen articles about Mao. You found them. Ok:popcorn:

minze

Medalist

Isnt this COP system about racking points. All skaters do it

Layfan

Record Breaker
In my humble opinion, I just don't see what is so special about Yuna compared to Mao or Gracie. Yes, she has excellent jumps, but so does Gracie. Yuna's spins are far inferior to Gracie or Julia. I feel that we who love skating have to remember that this is a sport, not who deserves to win or has won in the past. Whoever skates the best at the Olympics should win. That being said I think Julia has a reasonable chance to take gold.
Can someone tell me what is so superior about Yuna's GOE's because I just don't see it. Her spins and spirals are inferior to other top skaters. What am I misusing???

If you saw her live and the other ladies, you would see it. The ice coverage she gets has no comparison. Only Caro comes close. Yuna is a majestic skater because of her speed and strong stroking. And her 3lz3t - I don't know if it's the highest but it's high, the technique is rock solid and she practically gets from one side of the rink to the other with just that move. (ok, not really but it seems like it). In terms of the other elements - she maybe not be the very best spinner or have perfect lines but she's a good spinner. Her spins may not be as fast as Julia's but neither are they a weakness.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I've never seen her live and I can see it. I can see it in all the ladies.

Figure 8's

On the Ice
let's face it, Yuna is the gold standard. If she is on she will be hard to beat. But she is going to have to be almost perfect because there are a lot of hungry skaters that could step up and give the performance of their life. I think Julia has the goods to challenge but still missing some of the pieces. Her jumps and style are not near as pretty as Yuna's. Or even Gracies. Julia still looks to me like a little girl but if she wins as a 15 year old, I say more power to her as long as she wins fairly.