Rétiré, anyone? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Rétiré, anyone?

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
that is a beginner position for a one-foot spin

There is no classic skating spin with the free leg in a retire position. However, the first one-foot spin learned by skaters has the free leg bent, hip turned in, and instep of the free foot aginst the knee area-as well described above. One thing to consider in comparing a balletic pirouette against a skaters spin-a ballerina goes around once, twice or three, times while a skater goes around many more; think 'physics' on this one. I think many skaters out there have a 'balletic style". Have a look at Emmanuel Sandhu's positions, as this young man spent many years training in ballet and eventually gave it up for skating. If memory serves, he was a member of the Royal Ballet of Canada's Academy. As it has been said, though, skating is not ballet. Skaters take dance training to be more graceful, not to do 'ballet on ice'.

Oh, as for Ilia Kulik in Center Stage: That was just on this weekend. I think he'd best stick to skating.

Last edited:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Matt:

Figure Skating and ballet have much in common and yet, are worlds apart.

A one foot spin in figure skating is done with the leg being drawn in towards the knee and then it crosses in front and the leg is slowly pushed down again towards the ice.

The reason the leg is drawn in slowly is to gain speed.

The figure skater is not attempting to strike a ballet pose. It is a pure figure skating move.

The reason skaters take ballet is to improve their posture and gain better poise. It also helps with their flexibility and stretching.

Some skaters do learn to blend some of their arm movements from ballet training with their skating. This always looks nice.