Pairs FS - 2014 European Championships | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Pairs FS - 2014 European Championships

Mao88

Record Breaker
PAIRS LONG PROGRAM - VIDEOS & RESULT - Updated

1. Tatiana VOLOSOZHAR / Maxim TRANKOV (RUS) - 220.38 Long Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
2. Ksenia STOLBOVA / Fedor KLIMOV (RUS) - 207.98 Long Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
3. Vera BAZAROVA / Yuri LARIONOV (RUS) - 201.61 Long Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
4. Stefania BERTON / Ondrej HOTAREK (ITA) - 195.61 Long Program, 2nd Copy
5. Vanessa JAMES / Morgan CIPRES (FRA)185.48 Long Program, 2nd Copy
6. Maylin WENDE / Daniel WENDE (GER) - 168.32 Long Program, 2nd Copy
7. Andrea DAVIDOVICH / Evgeni KRASNOPOLSKI (ISR) - 163.93 Long Program, 2nd Copy
8. Nicole DELLA MONICA / Matteo GUARISE (ITA) - 154.55
9. Mari VARTMANN / Aaron VAN CLEAVE (GER) - 153.21 Long Program
10. Natalja ZABIJAKO / Alexandr ZABOEV (EST) - 149.82 Long Program
11. Daria POPOVA / Bruno MASSOT (FRA) - 149.36 Long Program

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
If by awkward, you mean hilarious, then very.

Pairs skating would probably be removed from the Olympic program.

This win is essentially as bad, if not worse, as when Chan won Worlds over Ten last year. However both wins can be somewhat justified in that in spite of a disastrous FS they both had a clean SP and strong elements (quads in Chan's case, lifts and twist in V/T's case) in the FS that gave them enough to win over lesser skaters who skated clean in both segments.

Although at least Chan only won by 2 points and lost the FS by a good 5 points. It's insane that V/T still almost won the FS after those mistakes... And ended up with a whopping 220 points, 13 points higher than S/K, overall.

It's true that Savchenko was sick coming into this competition but they probably WD at least partly because of being so far behind V/T, not wanting to lose Euros by a big margin coming into the Olympics.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker

This win is essentially as bad, if not worse, as when Chan won Worlds over Ten last year. However both wins can be somewhat justified in that in spite of a disastrous FS they both had a clean SP and strong elements (quads in Chan's case, lifts and twist in V/T's case) in the FS that gave them enough to win over lesser skaters who skated clean in both segments.

Although at least Chan only won by 2 points and lost the FS by a good 5 points. It's insane that V/T still almost won the FS after those mistakes... And ended up with a whopping 220 points, 13 points higher than S/K, overall.

No, it wouldn't be removed from the Olympic program. And if by some happenstance this were to happen and Chan went clean, it would be even funnier.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty

coming from a Chan fanatic, hypocrite much :rolleye:
V/T 2 falls are about 7 points lower than S/S Personal Best
so realistically this is what S/S can hope to win the Olympics
but other than a clean program, no

and assuming they would have won had they competed in the FS, also unlikely
Aliona is sick and has throat and neck pains

wallylutz

Medalist
Good point about Pairs skating losing Olympic eligibility. IOC hates when a discipline is dominated by one or two countries. To see Russia 1-2-3 in Pairs will drive IOC mad and put the sport on notice, especially if the winner had a 3 falls win. After the Pairs skating controversy in 2002, the IOC will have no stomach for yet another Pairs skating shenanigans.

Scrufflet

Final Flight

1. Tatiana VOLOSOZHAR / Maxim TRANKOV (RUS) - 220.38 Long Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
2. Ksenia STOLBOVA / Fedor KLIMOV (RUS) - 207.98 Long Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
3. Vera BAZAROVA / Yuri LARIONOV (RUS) - 201.61 Long Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
7. Andrea DAVIDOVICH / Evgeni KRASNOPOLSKI (ISR) - 163.93 Long Program, 2nd Copy

Thanks, as always, Mao88! Results are interesting! I guess nothing's a lock in Sochi! Loved Stol/Klimov!

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Good point about Pairs skating losing Olympic eligibility. IOC hates when a discipline is dominated by one or two countries. To see Russia 1-2-3 in Pairs will drive IOC mad and put the sport on notice, especially if the winner had a 3 falls win. After the Pairs skating controversy in 2002, the IOC will have no stomach for yet another Pairs skating shenanigans.

the Pairs 2002 controversy was started and caused by North Americans especially the Canadians
ironic isn't it ? how quick can we forget the most deplorable pair that ever existed Sale/Pelettier and with their crocodile tears

wallylutz

Medalist
Even though the Olympics will be in Russia, the composition of the Pairs judging panel will change quite a bit - suffice to say, they will be a lot less prone to hand out candy marks than we just saw here, which feels like an inflated national championship. Let's see if S/S can recover on time. As for V/T, maybe the 3rd and 4th rank teams in the world from Canada will be looking to pull off a Shizuka Arakawa style upset if V/T continues to falter like this.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Even though the Olympics will be in Russia, the composition of the Pairs judging panel will change quite a bit - suffice to say, they will be a lot less prone to hand out candy marks than we just saw here, which feels like an inflated national championship. Let's see if S/S can recover on time. As for V/T, maybe the 3rd and 4th rank teams in the world from Canada will be looking to pull off a Shizuka Arakawa style upset if V/T continues to falter like this.

of course no better wish from Canada to have the 2002 SLC Pairs event scenario like that B/S and deplorale S/P,
didn't we learn already from what happened to Pairs in 2002 coupled with media obsession

Alex D

Record Breaker

Basketball is dominated by one Nation, still in the Programm since 36.

elif

Medalist
Stolbova/Klimov's triple twist looked good considering they didn't even try at Skate America.

gmyers

Record Breaker
If the IOC still has women's hockey which only US or Canada can win why not pairs? Because IJS abolished a unified technical element score 2 falls on 2 jumps out of 12 elements isn't bad and also points is based on rotation in jumps. IJS would need to abolish separation of elements.

Alex D

Record Breaker
Same for the rhythmic gymnastic. Important thing is participating nations.

Absolutely, but i also think it matters a lot how much money they can make with it.

AS long people are willing to pay 300 or more bucks for a day ticket, figure skating wont be going anywhere.

wallylutz

Medalist
Absolutely, but i also think it matters a lot how much money they can make with it.

AS long people are willing to pay 300 or more bucks for a day ticket, figure skating wont be going anywhere.

Try $3000 / ticket, that was the market price of ladies FS at the 2010 Olympics, I kid you not.

Women's ice hockey has been put on notice fyi. Many sports have since been removed from the Olympics, namely baseball.

Pairs skating had a serious issue back in 2002, I don't think it will happen again and Russia will unlikely go 1-2-3 at the Olympics. Nevertheless, the possibility for controversy is there based on its dark history.

Mao88

Record Breaker

Pairs LP Groups 1+2, Pairs LP Groups 3+4 plus Medal Ceremony

bekalc

Record Breaker

I think the Russian/Soviet program deserved to dominate pairs skating the way they did. Even if maybe one or two results were? I think in general this top three finish made sense too.

I like S/K a lot of all the younger teams, and I think the deserve to move up and yes maybe be considered for the bronze. I don't think the two Canadian teams are better. D/R especially I think he's spectacular but Meghan leaves a lot to be desired for me. I do like Radford a lot. While I think the guy in Ksensia is also weaker than her partner, her lines are for me still much better than Meghan's. M/T for me are okay.

I enjoy this program a lot from S/K and I think the deserve to move up and be in the bronze consideration. They are different from the typical Russian pair but I enjoy their choreography. The detail in this Adam's Family program is great. (and her landing edge after those throws)..

They are a team that deserves IMB to move up and if two Canadians should be considered two Russians too. I enjoy Vera's posture but she's never going to get the jumps right, and I think S/K are the better skaters. I'm glad the Russian judges and the international judges seem to be recognizing this.

In general the issue here isn't that Russia went top 3, they deserved to. Its V/T's scores. 9's for that performance is wrong, and I love that team. Its a huge problem that needs to be corrected.

I would hate to see pairs skating go down because I think its the most spectacular of all the disciplines. I also think its the hardest to do really well. Russia sadly is one of the few countries that does get how to make pairs work.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I haven't reviewed the protocols for this event... but I would hope their PCS took a big hit, especially in performance and execution.

Falls aside, the program was flat overall.

Hey, ISU... when the fans start whistling in protest that skaters' marks are too HIGH... perhaps it's time to evaluate what's going on.

Edit: It might not be a punishable break in the program according to the rules, but the lengthy posing in the middle of the program should cause a hit in the choreography as well.

bekalc

Record Breaker
I haven't reviewed the protocols for this event... but I would hope their PCS took a big hit, especially in performance and execution.

Falls aside, the program was flat overall.

Hey, ISU... when the fans start whistling in protest that skaters' marks are too HIGH... perhaps it's time to evaluate what's going on.

Edit: It might not be a punishable break in the program according to the rules, but the lengthy posing in the middle of the program should cause a hit in the choreography as well.

Nope they didn't, their PCS were much higher than S/K's. It was ridiculous. I love V/T think they are fabulous team, and maybe due to their big short program lead that was pretty much deserved. (although S/K PCS may go up), the win overall was deserved. But they were within a point of S/K in the free and that's just wrong, very wrong.

I don't love V/T so much though that I have to see them win even when they are skating like crap. At this point maybe they should just reward the medals after practice.

No way is IJS really an improvement, it seems the judges have learned to cheat better. Its nearly impossible for a team with lesser rep to win.

In fairness to them though V/T looked defeated on that podium.