Johnny Weir, just stop talking | Golden Skate

Johnny Weir, just stop talking

jennyanydots

On the Ice
Well, he's gotten a lot of harassment over this subject. As an gay athlete he certainly has the right to express his views amd he's constantly asked about it anyways. Yeah he does put his foot in his mouth at times, but generally I find him articulate and well-spoken with a bit of quirkiness to keep it interesting.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
He's entitled to his point of view but, particularly as a gay person, he should really not be trivializing the attempted response at criticizing these discriminatory laws. I mean, if he were Russian he wouldn't even be married.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I understand that people have differing views on Johnny and this topic.

Yes, as a gay athlete he certainly has a right to express his opinion... but he would have that right whether he were gay or not. His views on the (non)-boycott come from the athlete inside him... not from the point of view of a "gay" athlete.

I'm not a huge fan of his skating. His style doesn't suit my eye. But I think he's taken too much flack because he does not wish to become the standard-bearer for this issue.

millie

Medalist
Why are Americans so caught up in this topic about Russia and the LGBT........If they are so concerned, why don't they leagalize Gay and Lesbian marriages in the US. Why don't the US give these human beings the same rights and so called straight people. Like Johnny said, the Olympics is not a forum to fight this fight. Why didn't Ashley demonstrate at her own Nationals for the same rights for the American gay and lesbians as she is going to do in Russia. Just trying to make the headlines.

gmyers

Record Breaker
I
Why are Americans so caught up in this topic about Russia and the LGBT........If they are so concerned, why don't they leagalize Gay and Lesbian marriages in the US. Why don't the US give these human beings the same rights and so called straight people. Like Johnny said, the Olympics is not a forum to fight this fight. Why didn't Ashley demonstrate at her own Nationals for the same rights for the American gay and lesbians as she is going to do in Russia. Just trying to make the headlines.

True! Like there is universal gay marriage in the US and how Russia would need to completely legalize gay marriage not to have laws that repress homosexuality. That's how much things have to change. Any country that doesn't have gay marriage is repressive and hostile to homosexuality now! So why don't wier and Wagner and Bode miller and nick symmonds and biking jean king go campaigning in America before they use sporting events and the Olympics to campaign.

noskates

Record Breaker
I like Johnny. I love his skating (and it wasn't slow)love his commentating and he does have the right to his opinion and is probably tired of being asked about it. But I do wish the US would take care of its own problems before it sticks its nose in someone else's issues. And I truly do not believe a sporting event or a sport should get involved.

fadeevfan

Rinkside

What a remarkably uninformed comment. Gay marriage has been "leagalized" in an increasing number of U.S. states in the past year, the U.S. Supreme Court paved the way for the remaining states to do it, it's now supported by the majority of Americans in polls. That's precisely why the Russian government's flagrant, horrifying homophobia is getting such a push back from the U.S. and many other countries. CNN is now reporting that Russia may pass another anti-gay law that will take children from gay parents -- but only after the Sochi games: http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/16/world/europe/russia-new-gay-law/

So there's really no separating the Olympics from what has become shameful behavior on the part of Russia's autocrats -- and frankly, its populace, which seems to be content with sitting by and putting up with it.

fadeevfan

Rinkside
Oh, and Johnny? Remember that he came out only when it was convenient for him to promote that reality show of his. He's hardly an authentic voice on gay rights. I think Johnny is smart as a whip and a charming commentator. But on gay issues, he's an opportunist, openly gay when he can gin up a little publicity (IMHO).

fadeevfan

Rinkside
I

"Biking jean king" doesn't need to campaign in the U.S. anymore -- that fight is largely over. Making a point about Russian homophobia is about making a statement on basic human rights -- which the Olympics has frequently been a venue for. And in Russia, it's not about gay marriage, it's about the government formalizing anti-gay bias in law. In 20 years, it will seem positively medieval even to those who don't quite see it now.

millie

Medalist
Oh, and Johnny? Remember that he came out only when it was convenient for him to promote that reality show of his. He's hardly an authentic voice on gay rights. I think Johnny is smart as a whip and a charming commentator. But on gay issues, he's an opportunist, openly gay when he can gin up a little publicity (IMHO).

Words have never been spoken more clearer from a true homophobic!!! What are the rules on being an authentic gay and having an authentic voice on gay rights? It's people like you with your bashing opinions that make life hard for this young man and others like him.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I

True! Like there is universal gay marriage in the US and how Russia would need to completely legalize gay marriage not to have laws that repress homosexuality. That's how much things have to change. Any country that doesn't have gay marriage is repressive and hostile to homosexuality now! So why don't wier and Wagner and Bode miller and nick symmonds and biking jean king go campaigning in America before they use sporting events and the Olympics to campaign.

There is quite a lot of middle ground between laws that persecute people for being gay and laws that allow gay people to marry each other. And while both instances treat gays as second class citizens, obviously the Russian laws are more severe and detrimental to LGBT citizens.

Yes, every country that doesn't allow LGBT people the same legal rights and recognition as married couples is treating them like second class citizens by virtue of denying them civil liberties that straight people get. But at least they're not throwing them in jail or deporting them or putting them to death.

fadeevfan

Rinkside
Words have never been spoken more clearer from a true homophobic!!! What are the rules on being an authentic gay and having an authentic voice on gay rights? It's people like you with your bashing opinions that make life hard for this young man and others like him.

You gotta really twist words to come up with this nonsense. Nice try, though!

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

As a gay person, my opinion is that Weir is indeed an attention-seeker and opportunist, particularly in the context of queer issues. Ask the vast majority of LGBT people, and they will vehemently tell you that Johnny Weir and his opinions most certainly do NOT represent them.

As I said, if Weir were a Russian citizen, he would be a very different person. Unable to be proud of his sexuality, and certainly wouldn't be allowed to marry his husband.

He also comes from a privileged background and a relatively non-homophobic society, so asking him about the plight of LGBT individuals and oppression in Russia would be like asking Paris Hilton how she feels about poverty in Africa and using her opinion as a paradigm.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

So, what you're saying is that he's not the type of gay you approve of?

I'm not gay, and I'm glad, because if I were there would be no shortage of experts advising me when to come out, if to come out, what to think, what to say, how to act, when to be open, when to be circumspect, what jobs to take, what causes to champion...

I don't know how gay people live under the pressure, and I am completely serious when I say that.

I'm not even a particular fan of Johnny, but it doesn't take a fan to believe he's being treated unfairly.

gmyers

Record Breaker
"Biking jean king" doesn't need to campaign in the U.S. anymore -- that fight is largely over. Making a point about Russian homophobia is about making a statement on basic human rights -- which the Olympics has frequently been a venue for. And in Russia, it's not about gay marriage, it's about the government formalizing anti-gay bias in law. In 20 years, it will seem positively medieval even to those who don't quite see it now.

But not having gay marriage is totally midieval to almost everyone now but why didn't the Supreme Court and all states legalized gay marriae already? Gay marriage would have to be lagalized for a country not to be hateful bigots toward homosexuals. That's the new standard. I don't agree there is a middle ground. Hate based law is hate based law and no gay marriage is hate based. When the World Cup is in UAE thats even more hate based.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
As a gay person, my opinion is that Weir is indeed an attention-seeker and opportunist, particularly in the context of queer issues. Ask the vast majority of LGBT people, and they will vehemently tell you that Johnny Weir and his opinions most certainly do NOT represent them.

I may have missed it, but I don't recall that Johnny has ever claimed to represent the voices of LGBT people. That burden has been placed on him by others.

Although I'm not aware of him saying so in so many words, my reading of the subtext is that it is not a burden that he welcomes.

millie

Medalist
But not having gay marriage is totally midieval to almost everyone now but why didn't the Supreme Court and all states legalized gay marriae already? Gay marriage would have to be lagalized for a country not to be hateful bigots toward homosexuals. That's the new standard. I don't agree there is a middle ground. Hate based law is hate based law and no gay marriage is hate based. When the World Cup is in UAE thats even more hate based.

Where I live gay marriage is legal. Gays and lesbians are equal in the work force....no discrimination. My brother and his partner has been married for 10 years. Where I live it's the norm. A so called civilized country like the US, what's their problem with not legalizing same sex marriages....bigotry starts at home.

fadeevfan

Rinkside
There is quite a lot of middle ground between laws that persecute people for being gay and laws that allow gay people to marry each other. And while both instances treat gays as second class citizens, obviously the Russian laws are more severe and detrimental to LGBT citizens.

Yes, every country that doesn't allow LGBT people the same legal rights and recognition as married couples is treating them like second class citizens by virtue of denying them civil liberties that straight people get. But at least they're not throwing them in jail or deporting them or putting them to death.

Perfectly put.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Where I live gay marriage is legal. Gays and lesbians are equal in the work force....no discrimination. My brother and his partner has been married for 10 years. Where I live it's the norm. A so called civilized country like the US, what's their problem with not legalizing same sex marriages....bigotry starts at home.

The problem is that the country is founded on religious fundamentalism. While that's starting to wane, it is still very prominent. A lot of people are more accepting of LGBT people but America is still a Christian country, at least in name (less so in practice, as time goes on). Same-sex marriage is one of the last bastions of Christian authoritarianism in the US, so they are fighting tooth and nail to ensure gays can't get married.

But as of January 2014, 17 states have legalized same-sex marriage. A year and a half ago, only 7. Five years ago, only one. There will always be the "red states", but it's an inevitability that same-sex marriage will be a right given in most US states within the next 5-10 years.