Johnny Weir, just stop talking | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Johnny Weir, just stop talking

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
So because you've seen it, it doesn't exist. Have you seen an interracial couple kiss in public? It's about giving same-sex couples the right to show affection the way straight couples do should they so choose (and not be incriminated for it), even if not every single couple will exercise that right (just like every straight couple does not kiss or hold hands in public either).

If I understand it correctly, it shouldn't be a problem to the law, but it will be to the culture.

Here's a question: what if a gay athlete decides to kiss his male partner or her female partner at the Olympics, say, after they compete? Will this be construed as a political statement or homosexual propaganda and is this forbidden by the IOC/Russians?

We have seen two straight Russian female athletes kiss on the podium already. It is not a problem. Two men kissing briefly on the lips seems the custom of some of their ethnic groups when they are greeting each other. As of two male athletes kissing on the lips passionately after the win in front of the camera, I'd think that they would yuck a great deal to the majority of the Russian people as well as the most people in front of the TV around the world more than the kissers would succeed in their purpose of demonstration.:p I'd think that IOC and the Russian government would not jump into such silly non-sense of kissing contest. If that's what you want... ;)

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
You know what I mean, I'm not talking about Russian customs here. What if a male athlete went up to their significant other after competing and kissed them (as we've seen male athletes kiss their girlfriend, like Charles Hamelin in 2010)? And why is it a "demonstration" (and a "yucky" one at that) if it was a gay couple... versus a straight couple kissing which would be deemed as a sweet, "awww" moment? It gets back to the initial root of all this... two men or women kissing isn't a "demonstration", it's simply a show of affection, just like two straight people kissing.

And here's the thing: LGBT people don't WANT kissing or holding hands with their partner to be a big deal... we want to be able to hold hands/kiss our boyfriends and girlfriends in public, and not have people cringe or think we're deliberately trying to make them uncomfortable or trying to make some statement.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Two men kissing briefly on the lips seems the custom of some of their ethnic groups when they are greeting each other. As of two male athletes kissing on the lips passionately after the win in front of the camera, I'd think that they would yuck a great deal to the majority of the Russian people as well as the most people in front of the TV around the world more than the kissers would succeed in their purpose of demonstration.:p I'd think that IOC and the Russian government would not jump into such silly non-sense of kissing contest. If that's what you want... ;)
Like this - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Breznev-Honecker_1979.jpg?

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker

Thank you for your reasoned take on the situation. Of course it's a cynical power play: target the weakest group and gussy up your power grab with "religion" and "morality." That's what scapegoating is all about. And it's VERY effective. But there does come a point where the scapegoated group will come to believe, we have nothing to lose. And that's when the real fight begins.

But to think this has ANYTHING to do with "protecting the children" and "morality" and the like is extremely naive.