What will happen in Ice Dancing this year? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

What will happen in Ice Dancing this year?

First Skate

Rinkside
Have D/W ever formally discussed when they plan to retire? During the Olympic Hangout with Michael Buckley Charlie said something along the lines of "Worlds will be a great way to end the season" (I forget the exact phrasing) but there was no mention of retirement which I thought was interesting. I'm excited about the battle for bronze, I hope there is one and that no one benefits from overly generous scoring.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Have D/W ever formally discussed when they plan to retire? During the Olympic Hangout with Michael Buckley Charlie said something along the lines of "Worlds will be a great way to end the season" (I forget the exact phrasing) but there was no mention of retirement which I thought was interesting. I'm excited about the battle for bronze, I hope there is one and that no one benefits from overly generous scoring.

The could totally be the second Grishuk and platov and win 2 Olympics or maybe 3. This is a team that's made no errors in five years! And unless it changes or they have personal or professional desires or interests outside of skating have no reason to leave and there's barely a pro circuit in the US- close to none- they can only compete to skate and there are no close competitors outside of v/m and never would be ever probably.

lmarie086

Medalist
I love D/W, but it's absolutely wrong to say they haven't made any errors in five years. They certainly have. But overall they are very, very consistent. And that has really helped to mold a great reputation for them, along with improvements to their skating.

I refuse to make a prediction about ice dance at the Olympics because I still think it could go either way. I'd love to see D/W win, that is what I hope for, but they really need to beef up the SD. It's lacking in choreography; I don't see many Derek Hough touches, which makes me wonder if most of what he did for it has not been seen in competition. V/M have the better SD, and though this FD is probably one of my least favorite of theirs (along with 'Umbrellas' and 'Mahler'), it's definitely not bad. But I don't think it's as good as Scheherezade is for D/W.

gmyers

Record Breaker
I have looked and except for a level 3 instead level 4 d/w have not had any real damaging mistakes in any program at any time in the past five years. Every single other couple Has a failed lift or twizzle or level 1 or fall or something. And d/w are really really amazing in how there's been not one error or one mistake!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I love D/W, but it's absolutely wrong to say they haven't made any errors in five years. They certainly have. But overall they are very, very consistent. And that has really helped to mold a great reputation for them, along with improvements to their skating.

I refuse to make a prediction about ice dance at the Olympics because I still think it could go either way. I'd love to see D/W win, that is what I hope for, but they really need to beef up the SD. It's lacking in choreography; I don't see many Derek Hough touches, which makes me wonder if most of what he did for it has not been seen in competition. V/M have the better SD, and though this FD is probably one of my least favorite of theirs (along with 'Umbrellas' and 'Mahler'), it's definitely not bad. But I don't think it's as good as Scheherezade is for D/W.

I would have Virtue and Moir about 2.1 points ahead in the SD and D and W about 1.7 ahead in the FD if they skated their best. It would be close; it still bothers me that as good as D/W are they are as charismatic as a lot of the top oly teams in the past. They are a nice couple but imho even if you didn't like their skating with ie. Gritschuk and Platov they had a lot of charisma especially her likewise Bestmianvoa and Bukin, Klimova and Pomarenko, Usova and Zhulin, Navka andKostomorov, Minnie and Mo, etc. But what I think doesn't matter the judges will do what they want. I seriously doubt though D and W will make it another quad without a meltdown. Someone will rival them whehter it be that French team first year in seniors or a Russian team or WEave and Poje of their compatriots.

gmyers

Record Breaker
I would have Virtue and Moir about 2.1 points ahead in the SD and D and W about 1.7 ahead in the FD if they skated their best. It would be close; it still bothers me that as good as D/W are they are as charismatic as a lot of the top oly teams in the past. They are a nice couple but imho even if you didn't like their skating with ie. Gritschuk and Platov they had a lot of charisma especially her likewise Bestmianvoa and Bukin, Klimova and Pomarenko, Usova and Zhulin, Navka andKostomorov, Minnie and Mo, etc. But what I think doesn't matter the judges will do what they want. I seriously doubt though D and W will make it another quad without a meltdown. Someone will rival them whehter it be that French team first year in seniors or a Russian team or WEave and Poje of their compatriots.

If you mean "not as charismatic" than I totally agree! One thing to blame and that's usfs training i think! I am just glad they moved to actually saying they want gold! What an enormous breakthrough for them in terms of pr.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I fully agree that the teams are close, and I agree they're both a notch ahead of the rest of the field.

But, if you look at competitive results, the international judges have shown a clear preference for D/W for a couple of years. There must be some reason why... and I don't think it's just the "judges doing what they do." Looking at the past quad, the pattern shows that D/W caught up, and then surpassed, V/M.

Of course, anything can still happen... I didn't think it was possible that the DF program would not win the WC... but it didn't.

samson

Medalist
Thanks goodness real competition begins in two weeks. I don't know if I'll be able to sake much more suspense.

I wonder if both teams will be likely to skip out on the team event. They certainly have strong replacements with Chock/Bates and Weaver/Poje.

I remember thinking last year how utterly fabulous Davis and White were at Nationals and they still managed to increase on what they did for worlds. Their performance at Nationals was extraordinary, but honestly even within that, I felt like I saw room for growth... oddly enough I also feel like they deserved a perfect score but hey...

From my view, I think V/M have grown with their SD more and I think D/W have grown with their FD more.

Near

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Thanks goodness real competition begins in two weeks. I don't know if I'll be able to sake much more suspense.

I wonder if both teams will be likely to skip out on the team event. They certainly have strong replacements with Chock/Bates and Weaver/Poje.

I remember thinking last year how utterly fabulous Davis and White were at Nationals and they still managed to increase on what they did for worlds. Their performance at Nationals was extraordinary, but honestly even within that, I felt like I saw room for growth... oddly enough I also feel like they deserved a perfect score but hey...

From my view, I think V/M have grown with their SD more and I think D/W have grown with their FD more.

It would be insane for either team to skip the team event - its basically a free medal.

blackswanphoto

On the Ice
The could totally be the second Grishuk and platov and win 2 Olympics or maybe 3. This is a team that's made no errors in five years! And unless it changes or they have personal or professional desires or interests outside of skating have no reason to leave and there's barely a pro circuit in the US- close to none- they can only compete to skate and there are no close competitors outside of v/m and never would be ever probably.

There have been several errors within five years for Davis/White, they had a fall in 2010 and 2011. That being said this year they do have a much, much better FD than Virtue/Moir and an equal SD. The biggest problem with Virtue/Moir FD is that its similar to Mahler but not nearly as good, which will invite comparisons in a negative light. The other thing is that it is just not an Olympic champion program. The music is the culprit. The biggest issue though is that it is too subtle for casual skating viewers, or someone that does not know about skating to appreciate. It just does not have the excitement for people that watch the Olympics every four years. They would probably tune it out. Even the Canadian commentators were saying something along these lines, which shocked me because they are usually all praises.

gmyers

Record Breaker
There have been several errors within five years for Davis/White, they had a fall in 2010 and 2011. That being said this year they do have a much, much better FD than Virtue/Moir and an equal SD. The biggest problem with Virtue/Moir FD is that its similar to Mahler but not nearly as good, which will invite comparisons in a negative light. The other thing is that it is just not an Olympic champion program. The music is the culprit. The biggest issue though is that it is too subtle for casual skating viewers, or someone that does not know about skating to appreciate. It just does not have the excitement for people that watch the Olympics every four years. They would probably tune it out. Even the Canadian commentators were saying something along these lines, which shocked me because they are usually all praises.

Falls in 2010 and 2011? They have not missed an element. Those situations were not p/b at 2011 worlds situations. They have none of them in 5 years. They have perfectly executed or nearly perfectly execute every technical element in 5 years.

blackswanphoto

On the Ice
Falls in 2010 and 2011? They have not missed an element. Those situations were not p/b at 2011 worlds situations. They have none of them in 5 years. They have perfectly executed or nearly perfectly execute every technical element in 5 years.

Check out the grand prix series.. They had a fall at Skate America 2010 (Could be another GP event) in the tango long program. And Charlie fell in the short dance at Cup of Russia 2011.. There were errors at other competitions like Four Continents 2012.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
At Sskam 2010, they were doing a posing section & tripped over each other. The protocol shows -2.00 deductions for falls.

At cor 2011 SD, Charlie's blade caught in a rut in the ice, and he tripped, but didn't fall. No record of this shows on the protocol, because he wasn't doing an element at the time

Last edited:

SoundtracksOnIce

On the Ice
At Sskam 2010, they were doing a posing section & tripped over each other. The protocol shows -2.00 deductions for falls.

At cor 2011 SD, Charlie's blade caught in a rut in the ice, and he tripped, but didn't fall. No record of this shows on the protocol, because he wasn't doing an element at the time

Question - what's with the tension this time around between the two teams? I thought they were good friends, especially Scott and Charlie.

slider11

Medalist
Davis and White Play their options

I think Davis and White will command at the Olympics. They are such an intelligent pair of athletes! I think they epitomize the complete athlete-body and mind. The only thing I think that could derail their continued competitive goals are their personal goals. Both are very entrenched in completing their education. And Tanith may be pressuring Charlie for a formal commitment i.e. marriage. Also, Meryl recently mentioned in an article that she was dating a skating coach. Any idea who that is? Hope not Igor!! Either way they are both soaring with endorsements and deserve the money they are pulling in. Maybe that's worth sticking around for another year or so.

blackswanphoto

On the Ice
Question - what's with the tension this time around between the two teams? I thought they were good friends, especially Scott and Charlie.

Well pretty much V/M have to win gold in Sochi or their value for sponsors absolutely plummet. It already looks kinda bad with them being beaten by Davis/White so often. V/M would not be very marketable with a loss in Sochi, even for Canadian sponsors, as they have Eugenie Bouchard and Patrick Chan now.

SoundtracksOnIce

On the Ice
That's too bad. I'll admit, I'm hoping for them rather than Davis & White. They were so magical in 2010 I'd love to see them go out on top. And the thought of them actually being dethroned at the Games is depressing. It's different when the skater has retired by the next Games or can't compete.

slider11

Medalist
Virtue and Moir are a fabulous pair and certainly shined at the 2010 Olympics. Their Mahler performance was fabulous. But it baffles me after they won not one but two Worlds, why they didn't pack it in. It seemed pretty evident that Tessa, particularly, had hit the end. With her physical limitations, it would have made sense to go out on top after the 2012 Worlds and try to package sponsors. If sponsors didn't flock after 2010 why would they now even if they did pull out a win.