Spins are driving me crazy | Golden Skate

Spins are driving me crazy

vaskula

Spectator
Hey, everybody. I've been skating recreationally for most of my life [i'm 25], but nothing major, just like gliding and crossovers. Now I finally started doing some real stuff [group lessons], I manage to do three-turns, waltz jump, spiral decently, but I can't get the gimmick to spins - I start from forward pivot, but then quickly lose balance once rotating. Most I can do is 2 or 3 turns. How can other people hold the balance on one, even two feet for as long as they want???

icer

Rinkside
I have just gotten comfortable spinning over the past few months and consider it a huge triumph. What I think helped me:

1. Keep practicing.
2. For me, the 1 foot spin was MUCH easier than the 2-foot once I got it.
3. Pulling my stomach in helps me make sense of centering the spin.
4. If you don't get your shoulders even FAST, you won't be able to center fast enough to "save" your spin.
5. It really helps to have someone watch (I have a great coach) to tell me where I'm losing it- sometimes it's already off by the time you get into it. Also, he counts how many times I'm spinning- once things clicked, I thought I was spinning about 3 or 4 times, and it was really about double that.
6. Try to relax and enjoy the momentum.

Now that I have the forward spin, I'm going on the the backwards- right now a complete and frustrating mystery.

Good luck.

Yazmeen

On the Ice
Key for me with the two foot is getting down deep into my knees with the push around and holding my arms out for a rev or two before bringing them in with strength, meaning pulling in as though I am holding a weight in my hands. I'm working on the one foot, and I find that keeping the free leg back going into it, similar to how one starts a salchow can hold the balance better and increase the chance of more revs. Also, bring the free leg and corresponding arm around together.

With both spins, don't overdo with the other arm. I often sabotaged my spin by throwing it two far around (my left arm is what I'm speaking of as I'm a CCW spinner). Icer, I agree about the shoulders, which is what I'm trying to say here with the free arm--keep things square. Isn't it fascinating that we think we've only gone around a few times and then we find out its much more? Ahh, physics!!!!

beebeeuk

Rinkside
Spins are what make jumps.
i took SIX years to get the backspin, but it's been my sole motivator.
Stephane Lambiel practised spins for hours before he moved on to jumps.
I think you have to practise 2 foot spins and feel the balance.
it is not easy to teach by writing. If you can do 2 to 3 rotations, work on having 4 to 5. Build from there. I wish you well.
It's great that you're moving on to spirals though - some of the prettiest moves are in spirals. xox

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
I can spin many rotations on 2 feet but cannot spin on one foot for ANYTHING! I guess I just don't "get it". Of course, maybe if I weren't using cheap rental skates that have the dullest of edges, I might actually "get it"...! :laugh:

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
RealtorGal-
When are we going skating? I can help you with those one foot spins:)

Those cheap rental skates are the pitts!:p

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Okay, I'm game! After the school year ends, okay? Then I won't be in charge of the PTA or any fundraisers (I'm buried knee-deep in one for the school right now)--I'll be FREE! :)

I love the rink in UTC because we can have lunch in the Courtyard, but I'm fine with the one in Escondido, too.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Great! I've lost almost 10 lbs. since we met at Stars On Ice! By the end of the school year, I'm hoping to have reached my goal of another 20! I'll be a lean(er), mean(er) skating machine! :laugh: :D :laugh: :D

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
10lbs!:eek: since Stars On Ice- WOW! I hope you are eating good and exercising. I read somewhere that skating can burn up to 600 calories an hour. So I went skating twice this week for about 3 hours which means that I burned 1800 calories:eek: Where's the ice cream:laugh: :laugh:

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
dlkksk8fan said:
10lbs!:eek: since Stars On Ice- WOW! I hope you are eating good and exercising. I read somewhere that skating can burn up to 600 calories an hour. So I went skating twice this week for about 3 hours which means that I burned 1800 calories:eek: Where's the ice cream:laugh: :laugh:

There has been NO ice cream, I can assure you! :laugh:

Actually, it's thanks to Weight Watchers--the easiest diet ever created. Mr. RG asked me how I've been doing so well when it doesn't appear to him that I've been starving. I told him that the word "No" has been crossing my lips in place of the french fries I usually put there!
:laugh: :D

Yazmeen

On the Ice
Congrats, RG, from a fellow "WW," lifetime since October 2000 (maintaining roughly a 20 pound loss). Weight Watcher's is truly great--it really teaches you portion sizes. No food is forbidden, you just have to learn how to fit what you love into your plan. Good for you!!! "First Rate!!!!"