Pairs- Short Program 4cc 2014 | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Pairs- Short Program 4cc 2014

samson

Medalist
For what it's worth that's the highest personal best of any American pair internationally right now.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I love Sui/Han! That was great...42+ TES woah!

Her throw 3F was HUGE; I really loved the transition into it.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
United States of Canada...LOL....the announcer is a bit flustered today...

samson

Medalist
For a watered down field of pairs, the teams really brought it tonight. At least 4 clean, engaging performances!

samson

Medalist
Not to tempt the skating Gods, but if these three teams manage to stay together for four more years, we might actually have some interesting US pairs skating to watch for the next quad. But who am I kidding, all 6 of these kids will have new partners by the start of the fall...

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Denney/Frazier look disappointed. The score did seem a bit low...but they might had a 3T< I think.

samson

Medalist
^With a skate that clean and polished I bet they were probably hoping to hit 60. They missed their personal best by .1. It does make me wonder if they had a < on the 3 toe.

They should keep their spirits up though! All in all it was a great performance and one to build off of for the future. I'll be interested to see the protocols to see how they separated the teams.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
So unfortunate China can't send a 3rd team. S/H threw down one of the highest SP scores ever! :clap:

It eclipses P/Z's personal best of 68 points.

Mao88

Record Breaker

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I agree they probably were better off staying together, but ultimately if Narumi's goal was to go to the Olympics, she had to do what she needed to do.

Narumi's chance of going to the Olympics (not as part of the team competition) in the future is very low at this point with this current partner.
However, Tran has a better chance in the future. The quality of the male partner is 70% of a pair, I believe. Narumi's current partner can take her nowhere.

cptnhastings

On the Ice
Can one of the resident experts who watch and post here (which is virtually everyone beside me :) explain to me why S&K got level 1 on the 3TW? I thought I was finally getting a handle on the different levels.

Maybe no hard entrance footwork and maybe not enough of a split, but her hands were above her head at the end and his went down to his side in the middle and I didn't see a "crash landing"? I thought those three be enough to get beyond level 1? (Off the top of my head from what I remember reading elsewhere here on the levels.)

This stuff gets so confusing sometimes.

gold12345

Medalist
Sui/Han's SP looked really great. They've been hot and cold this season, but that sure was a confident, strong performance. Such a shame they can't be in Sochi along with Peng/Zhang, especially since they are more than capable of outscoring P/Z on any given day. For the US pairs, it's a shame Scimeca/Knierim won't be in Sochi either. They obviously have great scoring potential and looked wonderful here in the SP. But they can feel very proud to have skated it strongly, especially after the struggles they had in the SP a week and a half ago at Nationals.

gold12345

Medalist
Can one of the resident experts who watch and post here (which is virtually everyone beside me :) explain to me why S&K got level 1 on the 3TW? I thought I was finally getting a handle on the different levels.

Maybe no hard entrance footwork and maybe not enough of a split, but her hands were above her head at the end and his went down to his side in the middle and I didn't see a "crash landing"? I thought those three be enough to get beyond level 1? (Off the top of my head from what I remember reading elsewhere here on the levels.)

This stuff gets so confusing sometimes.

I was wondering the same thing. Their twist looked no different than it usually does, and it typically receives Lvl 2.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wow. Their score of 66+ is even more impressive if a major element was only rated L1.

Very interesting.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Narumi's chance of going to the Olympics (not as part of the team competition) in the future is very low at this point with this current partner.
However, Tran has a better chance in the future. The quality of the male partner is 70% of a pair, I believe. Narumi's current partner can take her nowhere.

In Sochi, Takahashi/Kihara will compete as a pair both in the team event and in the competition for the individual discipline, right?

Based on their placement at Nebelhorn, they were the first alternates for the individual discipline.
And my understanding is that then one of the countries that had a pairs slot for Sochi had to give it up b/c of a citizenship issue with one of the skaters.

s_parks

Record Breaker
Sui/Han were amazing... they seem to be more synchronized on their side by side jumps than before(which used to bother me), and more put together in general. i wish they'd go to worlds... does anyone know if pang/tong are planning to skate after sochi?