2014 Four Continents- Men's Short Program | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2014 Four Continents- Men's Short Program

nam57

Rinkside
What happened to Michael Christianson? I was looking forward to the rivalry after all the nasty things his mom wrote about Chris? Also is Ronald Lam related to Vanessa Lam?

burntBREAD

Medalist
What happened to Michael Christianson? I was looking forward to the rivalry after all the nasty things his mom wrote about Chris? Also is Ronald Lam related to Vanessa Lam?

Michael Christian Martinez has been injured for a while, it seems. Hope he's better for the Olympics!

I highly doubt the Lams are related - it's not a super uncommon last name, and Vanessa is Vietnamese American, IIRC, while Ronald represents Hong Kong.

MasterB

Final Flight
LOL, I've been wondering all season why they gave Joshua, who seems to be a prototypically "nice guy you bring home to meet the folks," a tango. A tango! The sexiest of all dances! Holy Cognitive Dissonance Batman! I agree with you on his attack and passion, which are indeed wonderful. Why not harness that to some really great raucous jazz. Think some of the more experimental Duke Ellington pieces. Or something more avant dance pop like The Art of Noise or Woodkid. I think it would really stretch his considerable talents, contrast nicely with the elegance of his Schindler's FD, and make him stand out (but not in a what the ___?! way like this tango is doing).

Ok, these crazy hours to watch these programs live are getting to me! LOL!

^^ Love your description but, I do not see what others see. I think the SP is really good and has tons of details that he seems to hit right on the music for instance the step step he does as he comes out of the lutz, I like those little things. There is quite a juxtaposition between his masculine physique and his dainty hands.

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
I just saw the BEsp highlights, and didn't understand why they chose to show Keiji Tanaka's 14th place SP rather than Jeremy Ten who was 6th. :confused: Or the 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th, and 13th place finishers... Tanaka was technically bad (2F2T, slow spins), and I thought he was really uninteresting artistically as well... Anyway...

^^ Love your description but, I do not see what others see. I think the SP is really good and has tons of details that he seems to hit right on the music for instance the step step he does as he comes out of the lutz, I like those little things. There is quite a juxtaposition between his masculine physique and his dainty hands.
I agree with you, I think this tango fits Joshua Farris very well, and in addition to his Schindler's List FS shows a nice range of style. I find him to be very sharp and... "latin" in this. :agree:

lovintabbs85

Rinkside
Michael Christian Martinez has been injured for a while, it seems. Hope he's better for the Olympics!

I highly doubt the Lams are related - it's not a super uncommon last name, and Vanessa is Vietnamese American, IIRC, while Ronald represents Hong Kong.

I am probably late on this but why is Martinez going to the Olympics for the Philippines and not the more seasoned Christopher Caluza? Thanks in advance!

samson

Medalist
For me, both of Joshua's programs are really nice growing pieces for him artistically. His jumps didn't really seem to be here this season like I remember them last year, but he also made it pretty clear his focus was on the in betweens and his relationship to the music.

The aren't necessarily programs that we'll be talking about for ages, but I think we'll point to them as important moments when he pushed himself artistically to expand his range and begin to define himself as a skater, independent of the elements.

samson

Medalist
And as per Adam, I feel bad for him that he had a skate like that. Hopefully he can turn it around. My wonder is if Rafael stayed in Cali to help Ashley create her new Samson and Delilah, I would imagine the USFSA probably strongly leaned into him staying with Ashley to make sure she shows up in Sochi with something great.

At least I hope that's why he's not there. Adam really has seemed to take some great technical strides with Rafael, and great instincts for him. I mean to put Adam with Tom Dickson and then create Afternoon of the a Faun... genius. I forget where I read (or heard) it, I think it was The Skating Lesson, but I remember some mentioning of the fact that Ashley and Adam also have the same agent, and Rafael felt the agent was pulling too much focus from training and doing their job as skaters... it was interesting to hear. Unfortunately for Adam, I would imagine the let down of Nationals combined with the turn around of this event was probably not enough time to turn things around.

I wonder why they changed his jump layout again. This is the fourth jump layout in four competitions we've seen for Adam's sp. Makes me wonder if the same thing will happen with the layout in the long... and why?

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Terrible what happened to Martinez ? why he withdrew ? :disapp:
if its injury , there goes competing in the Olympics

MasterB

Final Flight
Anyone know why Denis Ten received less credit for his Gorgeous triple axel (9.64) than the following guys:

Song 10.21
Dornbush 10.07
farris 10.21

breathesgelatin

Final Flight
And as per Adam, I feel bad for him that he had a skate like that. Hopefully he can turn it around. My wonder is if Rafael stayed in Cali to help Ashley create her new Samson and Delilah, I would imagine the USFSA probably strongly leaned into him staying with Ashley to make sure she shows up in Sochi with something great.

At least I hope that's why he's not there. Adam really has seemed to take some great technical strides with Rafael, and great instincts for him. I mean to put Adam with Tom Dickson and then create Afternoon of the a Faun... genius. I forget where I read (or heard) it, I think it was The Skating Lesson, but I remember some mentioning of the fact that Ashley and Adam also have the same agent, and Rafael felt the agent was pulling too much focus from training and doing their job as skaters... it was interesting to hear. Unfortunately for Adam, I would imagine the let down of Nationals combined with the turn around of this event was probably not enough time to turn things around.

I wonder why they changed his jump layout again. This is the fourth jump layout in four competitions we've seen for Adam's sp. Makes me wonder if the same thing will happen with the layout in the long... and why?

You're right, I hadn't thought, Rafael is probably needed in California to assist Ashley.

I agree, I think Adam has made progress with Rafael these past two years. I love his long program. It was The Skating Lesson, in their podcast about US Nationals, that mentioned the issue of Rafael vs. the agents...

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Wow, what a tough panel! The highest score for PCS was 38.99 :eek:
But... only 37.21 for Farris? :eek:hwell:

burntBREAD

Medalist
I am probably late on this but why is Martinez going to the Olympics for the Philippines and not the more seasoned Christopher Caluza? Thanks in advance!

There was a ton of drama about this a couple months ago, so from what I remember:

Martinez was the one who actually qualified the Olympic spot via his placement in Nebelhorn (which I think was 5th?)
He also has a higher PB and might've been the National Champ at the time? I know he withdrew from the most recent Nationals.

lovintabbs85

Rinkside
There was a ton of drama about this a couple months ago, so from what I remember:

Martinez was the one who actually qualified the Olympic spot via his placement in Nebelhorn (which I think was 5th?)
He also has a higher PB and might've been the National Champ at the time? I know he withdrew from the most recent Nationals.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see then...I hope Caluza skates well in the free and sneaks into the top 10.

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
Takahito Mura's 4T got 3x +2GOE and 3x -2GOE. :confused:

I hope whoever of Caluza and Martinez goes to Worlds gets in the top 10 to get 2 spots for next year, because they're both very interesting to watch, each in his own way.

s_parks

Record Breaker
i'm a bit puzzled by ten's score. i realize that he messed up the quad and didn't exactly do the other jumps textbook, but 76.34? can someone explain a bit more, i'm not an expert.