Russia chooses Plushenko for Sochi Olympics | Golden Skate

Russia chooses Plushenko for Sochi Olympics

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/plushenko-set-skate-individual-program-160430587--oly.html

Not sure if this is set in stone...official announcement on Thursday. It's weird that this article is out when it's still not official.

"Plushenko performed a test skate behind closed doors on Tuesday in front of Russian officials and leading judges."

So much for transparency. :rolleye: I hope at least Voronov and Kovtun's people were able to attend the skate. I'm assuming video footage was strictly forbidden.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
So much for transparency. :rolleye: I hope at least Voronov and Kovtun's people were able to attend the skate. I'm assuming video footage was strictly forbidden.

Well, the public kind of knows what Plushenko's form is currently based on Russian nationals. Kwan's test skate was under similar conditions yet no one saw her compete for almost a year.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
"Plushenko performed a test skate behind closed doors on Tuesday in front of Russian officials and leading judges."

The decision to close the skate was the federation's. Mishin and Plushenko wanted it to be open. But by all means, continue bashing Plushenko for others' words.

SaraM

Final Flight
Country
Norway
I cant believe he has the heart too deny a younger skater an olympic experience when he has plenty And is not as good as he used too be If he gets accurate pcs he should be way down there and he has no chance medaling whatsoever what a boring aspect of the olympics he will be... the most overscored boooring skater ever im gonna change the channel when hes gonna skate. Poor kovtun and voronov who were both soo much deserving than this!! The guy hasent even skated internationaly this season, except for a lame senior B

gmyers

Record Breaker
I cant believe he has the heart too deny a younger skater an olympic experience when he has plenty And is not as good as he used too be If he gets accurate pcs he should be way down there and he has no chance medaling whatsoever what a boring aspect of the olympics he will be... the most overscored boooring skater ever im gonna change the channel when hes gonna skate. Poor kovtun and voronov who were both soo much deserving than this!! The guy hasent even skated internationaly this season, except for a lame senior B

Plushenko always has said it's up to younger to prove thrnselves against older skaters! And kovtun ,disregarding plushenko totally, didn't surpass voronov menshov! But this could be premature.

ingofan1

Rinkside
Kovtun gave them an out when he bombed at Euros .Get ready for some hip shaking posing overscored skating from Plushenko.This is ridiculous this guy has been to 3 Olympics.The Russians are so greedy for the team gold they cannot see their future with Kovtun.I hope he falls all over the place.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
The decision to close the skate was the federation's. Mishin and Plushenko wanted it to be open. But by all means, continue bashing Plushenko for others' words.

Yes, and I'm saying it was shady of the Russian federation to do so. Did Mishin/Plushenko make an actual statement about wanting the skate to be open?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Plushenko always has said it's up to younger to prove thrnselves against older skaters! And kovtun ,disregarding plushenko totally, didn't surpass voronov menshov! But this could be premature.

Problem is, Plushenko himself might not have surpassed Voronov and Menshov, given their scores at Euros.

Danibellerika

Medalist

It's a dog eat dog world in skating and he doesn't really owe them anything. And he pointed out that at their age he was bringing home medals and securing spots for his fellow Russian skaters, so I don't think he's very impressed with these guys to feel all that bad. Kwan technically originally denied Emily Hughes the chance before Kwan ultimately pulled out due to injury and she had a lot of Olympic experience too. You can certainly turn the channel, but here in the US he'll actually get airtime for that to be an option as opposed to the other Russians who very likely wouldn't even be shown. Plushenko brings ratings and he's been training for this like the others. At the end of the day it's not even his decision, it's the committee's so if anything they should get the blame. And we really won't know for sure until Thursday.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Kovtun gave them an out when he bombed at Euros .Get ready for some hip shaking posing overscored skating from Plushenko.This is ridiculous this guy has been to 3 Olympics.The Russians are so greedy for the team gold they cannot see their future with Kovtun.I hope he falls all over the place.

Kovtun was given the push this season to beat Plushenko
but what does he do at high pressure events ? bombed the GPF SP and at Euros

meteorlight8

Rinkside

Hate to break it to ya, but this is a SPORT and results/a Gold medal matters. Plushenko's experience and ability to handle pressure makes him a safer choice than Kovtun in the team comp, and neither really has any chance of medaling in the individual. I agree Kovtun has a lot of potential, but frankly I don't think it's at all certain that he's the be all end all of the future of Russian men (look what happened to Gachinsky). Personally, I see Adian Pitkeev on a trajectory to challenge and/or overtake him in the next quad.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
And what or who has Plushenko beaten in the last 4 years?

Well, he did win Euros/Nationals in 2012 with good performances. But the last 2 years haven't been much to shake a stick at. It's certainly been ages since he competed against Chan/Fernandez/Ten and they're loads better now than in 2010 and he's never faced off against Hanyu, who should easily beat him.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Hate to break it to ya, but this is a SPORT and results/a Gold medal matters. Plushenko's experience and ability to handle pressure makes him a safer choice than Kovtun in the team comp

I agree he's a safer choice, but he didn't exactly show ability to handle pressure in his Russian FS nationals, which was arguably his most important Russian nationals with there being only 1 spot and not a spot he was assured of.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Problem is, Plushenko himself might not have surpassed Voronov and Menshov, given their scores at Euros.

That's totally true! Obviously menshov wouldn't have been there but it's totally possible he would've been below kovtun. So then it's interesting that may have decided this test skate displayed all they wanted. Lol I almost wrote test show.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary

Eteri Tutberidze Voronov's coach: ( google translate)

"As for Plushenko , I believe that this man should be put somehow separately and discuss it separately. Perhaps he's got any in history , he took part in three Olympics. That's 12 years of visual work , plus now he's trying to be on the level. This country is not Russia - Plyuschendiya (laughs). I joke , of course, I say, but it really is presents itself. This man -is a history, a separate unit ."

seniorita

Record Breaker
Kovtun is really overhyped, at least what I saw at euros was not impressive, besides the jumps I mean, that happened not to be impresssive too. What was good was his music that carried you away and I dont know what Tarasova was thinking because he is not that matured or aged for this piece. I think they did not let him develop at his own pace.He was lost even before he started.

There is a case Plushenko might crumble under pressure too but going by the odds here he maybe not, and it is huge boost, look at Tatiana and Maxim and how they are messed up. I dont know how you can love figure skating and wish Plush falls all over the place. I certainly didnt wish Kovtun to fall and gave a cheering SO to both Voronov and Menshov. Especially Menshov and his awesome Lp!

Nobody of the three guarantees a team Gold for Russia anyway, and maybe not even Plush. If he manages to have a Euros 2012 skate with one quad (I hope he does just that really) it will be enough for the team, super Javier had almost the same marks on Saturday. If they send him I think it will be a great Olympic moment. In Euros I met so many people travelling to see Plush and Joubs last Euro skate I was almost shocked. And the love Jouby got from the crowd was amazing, I found it a great highlight of Euros!

Last edited:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I am very interested to see how he skates in Sochi actually. The pressure has never been off of him like it is now; in the previous three Olympics he was either the co-favorite or only favorite for gold. No one is expecting a medal from him so hopefully he can take advantage of that and skate his best.