Russia chooses Plushenko for Sochi Olympics | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Russia chooses Plushenko for Sochi Olympics

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I really really hope, of Russian Fed choose tomorrow Kovtun, that people who now support him will still support him at the olympics and are not showing now support only because they don't want Plushenko.

But i am sure, that next year most on this forum will see only the bad sides of Kovtun's skating and complain about his PCS and when a new face will come will abandon him for the new comer.

he-he yes.. I'm sure

AlexNY

Spectator
To plushyfan: I am not quite sure how to outline it in an appropriate way to you – it is not about who hates whom and what party some leaders represent.
It is about facts.
I am not a Plushenko/Kovtun/or any other Russian figure skater fan – I love statistics and love the numbers. So when you say “what petition?” – there is a fact for you. ( Since you questioned the very existence of it).
When you state “ majority” – there are facts against it.

We are all free to express our own opinion, but to present it is a given fact is absolutely wrong; unless, of course dealing with the facts for you is something like shuffling a deck of cards and pulling the one that suites your opinion.
So, whenever you get into a pile of information ( incl. comments, Wikipedia links, etc), instead of just a cursory look , take some time to peruse it.

And you are right, Plushenko was chose the best athlete of Russia in 2013.

But please give to everybody the fact about this highly scientific poll ( since you are so much into denouncing other’s political affiliations): the poll was conducted by the state run, government funded agency.

1600 people were polled.
159 voted for Plushensko.
10%.
Population of Russia - 143 million people

Honestly, I would not even mention this poll.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
s

Do you talking about Zhirinovky? OMG! He is a stupid ultra nationalist politician, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zhirinovsky who hates the gays, the figure skating. He was angry with Plushy because he did his surgery in Israel..he is an anti-zionist..Isn't a good supporter for Kovtun..:DDD

Plushy won the voting. The russians wanted to him for flag bearers. Pushy won a voting, the Russians want to see him in Sochi. Plushenko was the athlets of the year in 2013. He didn't compete and he beat Isinbaeva who was world champion again..

http://evgeni-plushenko.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6&start=2700 read it

http://evgeni-plushenko.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=268&p=81909&hilit=lady#p81909 the whole Eteri's interview

and an older interview of her http://evgeni-plushenko.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6&p=79790&hilit=tutberidze#p79790

There's most certainly a difference between the majority of Russians wanting to see Plushenko there in general (I think most Russians want to see him there regardless of who else is competing), and the number of Russians who think Plushenko has actually earned his spot over Kovtun based on this season's competitive results.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Huh? Why would a politician mind Plushenko having surgery in Israel?
I m ok with the facts I m just questioning the bureocratic comment they made and what is their motive, are they interested in figure skating and sent a letter for this? Cause if I can judge from our political situation, it is not a surprise they will use an excuse, ex Plushenko to fight the Games. I guess in every Olys a letter about Plushy is mandatory.

off topic but Isibayeva is one of my fav athletes ever!:love:So which athlete Russians want to see in Winter Olys? What is the petition about? I m really interested how they view this. RF must send someone anyway! I start to think other countries might root more for Plushenko than Russians, he has made the news today even here.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
To plushyfan: I am not quite sure how to outline it in an appropriate way to you – it is not about who hates whom and what party some leaders represent.
It is about facts.
I am not a Plushenko/Kovtun/or any other Russian figure skater fan – I love statistics and love the numbers. So when you say “what petition?” – there is a fact for you. ( Since you questioned the very existence of it).
When you state “ majority” – there are facts against it.

We are all free to express our own opinion, but to present it is a given fact is absolutely wrong; unless, of course dealing with the facts for you is something like shuffling a deck of cards and pulling the one that suites your opinion.
So, whenever you get into a pile of information ( incl. comments, Wikipedia links, etc), instead of just a cursory look , take some time to peruse it.

And you are right, Plushenko was chose the best athlete of Russia in 2013.

But please give to everybody the fact about this highly scientific poll ( since you are so much into denouncing other’s political affiliations): the poll was conducted by the state run, government funded agency.

1600 people were polled.
159 voted for Plushensko.
10%.
Population of Russia - 143 million people

Honestly, I would not even mention this poll.

OK. Read it . http://evgeni-plushenko.com/forum/vi...t=6&start=2700 in that thread you can read everything, who is the supporters and who is the opponents.
and read the "other interesting news" and the "press about evgeni on ice thread"

http://www.sportion.ru/news/4559
78% of Russia's population will watch the Olympics in Sochi

Became known research results of the All-Russian Public Opinion Research Center (WCIOM) for Russians' interest in the upcoming Winter Olympics in Sochi.

The most popular winter sports in our country remain hockey, biathlon, figure skating. Among the athletes greatest excitement cause skater Evgeni Plushenko (poll leader, who has received 9 % of the respondents), hockey players Alexander Ovechkin and Evgeni Malkin (3 %), as well as biathletes Olga Zaitseva (4 %) and Anton SHIPULIN.

--------------------

... Among the most recognizable athletes, as "Face of the Sochi Olympics " interviewed called E. Plushenko, Zaitseva, Ovechkin, Malikin and Shipulin... With a significant margin leads E. Plushenko - 9 %, then O. Zaitseva - 4%. Option "I cheer for all, for Russia" also scored 4% , Shipulin and Ovechkin (3 %).

http://vppress.ru/stories/Za-Plyuschenko-boleyut-vse-21588

http://wciom.ru/index.php?id=459&uid=114678
Rating of Russian elite 2013"

Voting of Russian citizens in annual Poll by All-Russian Public Opinion Research Center (WCIOM)
By voting of Russian citizens - Plushy got 5% of votes (17th place, in total) and he is AGAIN first among Russian athletes! http://evgeni-plushenko.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=55&start=830

Please name the 10 people who, in your opinion, in the first place can be attributed as Russian elite;
those who has greatest merit to Russia (this may be the polictics, deputies... business leaders... famous scientists, writers, artists, composers, artists, pop composers, rock musicians, athletes, journalists, leading television programs)

http://www.team-russia2014.ru/article/13399.html

More than 15 million fans have already participated in voting for the Russian Olympic team flag bearer at the opening ceremony of the 2014 Games in Sochi! Evgeni Plushenko by a large margin ahead of Olga Zaitseva

1. Евгений Плющенко (фигурное катание), олимпийский чемпион, трёхкратный чемпион мира – 6458 голосов (41,6 процента всех проголосовавших)
2. Ольга Зайцева (биатлон), двукратная олимпийская чемпионка, трёхкратная чемпионка мира – 3119 (20,1)
3. Илья Ковальчук (хоккей), призёр Олимпийских игр, двукратный чемпион мира – 1885 (12,1)
4. Виктор Ан (шорт-трек), трехкратный олимпийский чемпион, 20-кратный чемпион мира – 1153 (7,4)
5. Никита Крюков (лыжные гонки), олимпийский чемпион, двукратный чемпион мира – 740 (4,8)
6. Александр Зубков (бобслей), двукратный призёр Олимпийских игр, чемпион мира – 543 (3,5)
7-8. Екатерина Тудегешева (сноуборд), двукратная чемпионка мира – 475 (3,1)
7-8. Альберт Демченко (санный спорт), призёр Олимпийских игр – 475 (3,1)
9. Александр Третьяков (скелетон), призёр Олимпийских игр, чемпион мира – 355 (2,3)
10. Иван Скобрев (конькобежный спорт), двукратный призёр Олимпийских игр – 318 (2,0)

http://vk.com/teamrussia2014?fixed=1

WARNING! POLL! Who should carry the banner of Russia at the opening of the Olympic Winter Games of 2014 in Sochi?

http://fsnews.ru/polls-id-61.html Who should represent Russia in the men's figure skating at the Olympics in 2014?
this is a FS site

Do you want more?

I'm right you believe me.

Keep your conditioning up, Maxim. Regardless of what the potentates are saying now, I bet Plushenko skates in the team event and wins a silver medal, while unfortunately aggrevating his injuries to the point that he cannot continue in the individual competition. A way will then be found for Kovtun to enter the fray. :yes:

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
^ Get your facts straight Mathman, Plushenko will be the first skater ever to win back to back platinum medals. :yay:

Big Deal

Final Flight
^ Get your facts straight Mathman, Plushenko will be the first skater ever to win back to back platinum medals. :yay:

I love that :)
I don't care of Plushenko.
He already killed some of the young one's. Why he needed to win another European title in 2012, to beat Gachinski, the young talent there.
Look what happened with Gachinski after that.
Doing well under pressure? What happened last year (weak) Euro?? 5th place in short Programmme and than "injury". If you can call his permanent arrogance a "good handling of pressure" it is not me.

I want to see Chan, Hanyu, Fernandez, Brown, Takahashi, Abbott, Machida, not the arteficial "drama" which only wants to create 0.50 more points in PCS section.
Boring and disgusting.

I quite liked Menshov in Budapest watching alive. I personally prefer him.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Huh? Why would a politician mind Plushenko having surgery in Israel?
I m ok with the facts I m just questioning the bureocratic comment they made and what is their motive, are they interested in figure skating and sent a letter for this? Cause if I can judge from our political situation, it is not a surprise they will use an excuse, ex Plushenko to fight the Games. I guess in every Olys a letter about Plushy is mandatory.

off topic but Isibayeva is one of my fav athletes ever!:love:So which athlete Russians want to see in Winter Olys? What is the petition about? I m really interested how they view this. RF must send someone anyway! I start to think other countries might root more for Plushenko than Russians, he has made the news today even here.

Zhironovsky uses every excuse to bash Israel/Jews! It's his thing.

Big Deal

Final Flight
Keep your conditioning up, Maxim. Regardless of what the potentates are saying now, I bet Plushenko skates in the team event and wins a silver medal, while unfortunately aggrevating his injuries to the point that he cannot continue in the individual competition. A way will then be found for Kovtun to enter the fray. :yes:

I unfortunately think that you are perfectly right, like I also mentioned in another topic before. Even if Plushenko made a HUGE PR mistake to announce that "I will only participate in the team event" with wrong timing, far too early, after the Russian National, the Russians will be brave enough in Sochi to do this "trick" succesfully hiding the facts Plushenko doesn't even have a decent Long Program this season ( concerning what I've seen in the Russian National without jumps and real choreography and a medley of past music cuts...." He prefer to be a hero getting a new medal with his (only )short program and than ready to cheat everyone for that??? Give me a break. This is an OLYMPIC with its general idea....

I don't know why he has decided to stop giving something positive to this sport and started to only self advertise himself.
His past results have been perfectly enough for that without this sad chapter of the "story".

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I unfortunately think that you are perfectly right, like I also mentioned in another topic before. Even if Plushenko made a HUGE PR mistake to announce that "I will only participate in the team event" with wrong timing, far too early, after the Russian National, the Russians will be brave enough in Sochi to do this "trick" succesfully hiding the facts Plushenko doesn't even have a decent Long Program this season ( concerning what I've seen in the Russian National without jumps and real choreography and a medley of past music cuts...." He prefer to be a hero getting a new medal with his (only )short program and than ready to cheat everyone for that??? Give me a break. This is an OLYMPIC with its general idea....

I don't know why he has decided to stop giving something positive to this sport and started to only self advertise himself.
His past results have been perfectly enough for that without this sad chapter of the "story".

I can see this happening but I also see if Plushy can skate he will skate. I am not trying to give him the benfit of the doubt but I think he would try.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

*sigh*

Yep, that's it, keep spreading misinformation...

Plushy said that he would choose the team event in response to a DIRECT question from a journalist that asked which he would choose - the team or individual. At the time he did not know he couldn't choose and that he had to do both. When he found out that he couldn't choose, he said he would do both.

Personally, I am very suspicious of how many journalists are asking direct questions that set Plushy up for controversy. Between this one and the "heir" question...hm. Tarasova's power at work, no doubt.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Thanks! I haven't heard from seniorita who edited my post, but Mathman was kind enough to send me a pm to explain the technical aspects of it all. :agree:

Happy to hear that you received an explanation from MM. Although GS is not a democracy, the default mode of the mods is benevolence, as far as I can tell. :)

amc987

On the Ice
I don't get this at all. I know Kovtun is young and still far from reaching his potential, but Plushenko is well past his prime. He'd need a miracle to win a medal in Sochi given how poorly he compares with the top men. He's not as good as they are technically any more- I think he has one quad planned in his FS and most of the top men have 2- and he's never been a very good artistic skater. Kovtun has way more to gain from going to Sochi skating-wise. If the Russian Fed wants to send him for monetary/sponsorship purposes, can't they just give him a booth or some sort of visible platform at the Games and be done with it? I'll feel bad for Kovtun if he gets bumped.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
‏@EvgeniPlushenko
Спасибо всем за поддержку!Вы мне дали сил и уверенности!Эта маленькая победа наша с вами!Люблю
10:49 PM - 22 Jan 2014
https://twitter.com/EvgeniPlushenko/status/426245337112911872

Very rough translation (corrections welcome):
Thanks to all for your support. You have given me strength and reassurance. I share this small victory with you. I love you.

amber68

On the Ice
, the Russians will be brave enough in Sochi to do this "trick" succesfully hiding the facts Plushenko doesn't even have a decent Long Program this season ( concerning what I've seen in the Russian National without jumps and real choreography and a medley of past music cuts...." He prefer to be a hero getting a new medal with his (only )short program and than ready to cheat everyone for that??? Give me a break. This is an OLYMPIC with its general idea....

It is incredibly how some people get so annoyed, miffed, mad, furious over things that have not happened yet :laugh:
Breaking News: Olympics have not started and Plushenko has not skated yet!
He hasn't yet made any mistake on any of his jumps, he hasn't got any medal, he hasn't awarded himself any medal, he hasn't been given any inflated marks, he has not retired from any event and he has not killed anyone's cat!
So could you please ***** and moan AFTER all the above things actually happen?

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
It is incredibly how some people get so annoyed, miffed, mad, furious over things that have not happened yet :laugh:
He hasn't yet made any mistake on any of his jumps, he hasn't got any medal, he hasn't awarded himself any medal, he hasn't been given any inflated marks, he has not retired from any event and he has not killed anyone's cat!

:bow::clap:

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist

Why not pre-moan, since we know 5 out of those 7 will happen:
Olympics will start - check.
Plushenko will skate - check.
Plushenko will make some mistake on some of his jumps - check. Duh.
Plushenko will get a medal - check, since as you guys keep pointing out, it's pretty irrelevant who the Russian Man is for the Team to medal.
Plushenko will award himself a medal - I guess not this time around ;)
Plushenko will be given inflated marks - triple check. Since he always emphasized the importance of quads: Quadruple check.
Plushenko will retire from an event - check. Either they still go for the foreshadowed switching identities thing, or he tries the individual SP and quits when he's not in the top 6.
Plushenko will kill anyone's cat - I swear I do not know Plushy's stance on cats. :hb:

:bow::clap: