Russia chooses Plushenko for Sochi Olympics | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Russia chooses Plushenko for Sochi Olympics

seniorita

Record Breaker
If he withdraws and is replaced, there will indeed be an outcry. If he's unable to be replaced there will also be an outcry because presumably Kovtun or Voronov could have at least competed in both events, instead of Plushenko scooping up a guaranteed medal and calling it a day.
Thats the thing, people dont read nothing or half of it but like to cry out loud. It is also the problem of journalists omitting to read and report whatever.. The communication which I dont know why is so hard to bother and read says there is a meet up on Feb 5th, after this time no skater can be replaced for Team event and 10th Feb meeting for individulas, and an athlete can be replaced there and not after, the reasons are checked and needs the approval from Olympic Commitee.
If Peter Liebers or Jenna McCorkell are injured after Team event they can be replaced and there is no loophole.

Last edited:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Thats the thing, people dont read nothing or half of it but like to cry out loud. It is also the problem of journalists omitting to read and report whatever.. The communication which I dont know why is so hard to bother and read says there is a meet up on Feb 5th, after this time no skater can be replaced for Team event and 10th Feb meeting for individulas, and an athlete can be replaced there and not after, the reasons are checked and needs the approval from Olympic Commitee.
If Peter Liebers or Jenna McCorkell are injured after Team event they can be replaced and there is no loophole.

I think it's more of an outcry because he himself said he'd skate the Team event and leave the individual event to another, without realizing he let the cat out of the bag as per what the Russian federation might have intended to do all along. Now it looks super sketchy and questionable if he withdraws after scooping up a team medal due to "injury" and Kovtun (to everyone's surprise!) comes in for the individual event. It's pre-emptive although I don't think anyone can do anything about it even if the Russian fed deliberately uses this loophole to their advantage -- it is their Olympics after all.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Replacing an athlete due to injury at Olympic Games is not a loophole no matter how many times you repeat it and it is not the first time it would happen either.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I think it's more of an outcry because he himself said he'd skate the Team event and leave the individual event to another, without realizing he let the cat out of the bag as per what the Russian federation might have intended to do all along. Now it looks super sketchy and questionable if he withdraws after scooping up a team medal due to "injury" and Kovtun (to everyone's surprise!) comes in for the individual event. It's pre-emptive although I don't think anyone can do anything about it even if the Russian fed deliberately uses this loophole to their advantage -- it is their Olympics after all.

Oh for crying out loud!

He was ASKED DIRECTLY by a journalist to choose between the two events. He said the team event as an answer to a DIRECT QUESTION. He DID NOT KNOW that he would have to do both. When he was corrected on that assumption, he immediately said that he would do both.

This is going to be just like the platinum medal rubbish isn't it? The North American skating press just LOVES to deliberately misquote him or attribute things to him that he never said.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker

This is why I generally don't like loopholes because someone shouldn't have to be "injured" to get a spot on a team. If they are qualified they are qualified, if not they aren't. In the same way I think Ashley should not have to be injured to get an Olympic spot if she is otherwise qualified, Plushenko should not have to claim an injury to give his spot to Kotvun if he is qualified based on the minimum score.

afsmlou

Spectator
alternate 1

Back to FS; Kovtun is now officially named as the alternate No. 1[/QUOTE]

Where did you get that information? I can't find it. They list both names but nothing about the order.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Sadly Kovtun has not competed the way we know he can skate. I don't care, I just hope there is not a deal where Plush gets bronze cuz he is the great Plushy. I think I would miss him, were he not skating. I just hope he does not let everyone down and embarrass himself. Realistically, he will get overscored and push someone down, but hopefully not a deserving bronze medalist.

I can't imagine this would happen-I hope not.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
So if Plushenko withdraws after nabbing a medal, and withdraws due to injury, I suppose we should all take him and the Russian fed at his word, and not suspect any foul play? Perhaps the German and Chinese pairs should send their alternates to compete in the team event in order to give them experience and to rest up P/T and S/S and we can say that those alternates unfortunately got injured and P/T and S/S could step in? Maybe send Nan Song to compete in Men's team event and then "withdraw due to injury" to allow a rested Yan to freshly compete in the individual event.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
This is going to be just like the platinum medal rubbish isn't it? The North American skating press just LOVES to deliberately misquote him or attribute things to him that he never said.

As if he's absolved of anything negative he has said. I suppose tweeting Chan's world title was won by his federation and the nasty attempt to throw Kovtun under the bus were the North American skating press twisting his words.

Becki

Medalist
So if Plushenko withdraws after nabbing a medal, and withdraws due to injury, I suppose we should all take him and the Russian fed at his word, and not suspect any foul play? Perhaps the German and Chinese pairs should send their alternates to compete in the team event in order to give them experience and to rest up P/T and S/S and we can say that those alternates unfortunately got injured and P/T and S/S could step in? Maybe send Nan Song to compete in Men's team event and then "withdraw due to injury" to allow a rested Yan to freshly compete in the individual event.

I don't think that's allowed. If an athlete or team withdraws after the Team event, there will be no replacement. The alternate can only substitute before the event, and not after.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I don't think that's allowed. If an athlete or team withdraws after the Team event, there will be no replacement. The alternate can only substitute before the event, and not after.

People seem to be saying otherwise. Which is it? I hope that is not allowed as we all know the Russian fed would exploit - ahem, "benefit from" - that.

seniorita

Record Breaker
If by people you mean ISU the yes, it seems people say otherwise.

ISU communication 1844
Olympic Winter Games 2014 - Sochi - Clarifications Related to the Figure Skating Team Event and Replacements/Substitutions for Medical Reasons

Contrary to the ISU Events for which the ISU Rules for substitutes/replacements apply, in the case of
the Olympic Winter Games the IOC Late Athlete Replacement Policy applies exclusively. ..
Team Event

.. for entries related to the Figure Skating Team Event as a whole, it is possible to make athletes replacements
only up to and during the Team Leaders confirmation meeting for the Figure Skating Team Event,
scheduled for 10.00 a.m. on February 5th, 2014. After that time/date a replacement for the Team Event
is not any more possible..

Individuals
for entries related to individual Figure Skating events (Pair Skating, Men, Ice Dance, Ladies) it is possible to make athletes replacements only up to and during the Team Leaders meeting for the Figure Skating (individual) events scheduled for 10.00 a.m. on February 10 th , 2014, for the same circumstances as mentioned above (injury and/or sickness)

It is Piseev who announced Kovtun as the alternate, but now I cant seem to find the article. Maybe it will be posted in RF page.

yaya124

On the Ice
Kovtun and Voronov are the alternates. As a national Champion probably Kovtun is in the first order.

And you should all thank Plushenko by giving your vivid imagination a release. No use to convince people anything since anyway they would only look at things in their way and ignore any opposite possibilities. I say it for both fans and haters.

It is not far from the 6th of Feb. Let's wait and see. Soon it will be all over.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
If by people you mean ISU the yes, it seems people say otherwise.

ISU communication 1844
Olympic Winter Games 2014 - Sochi - Clarifications Related to the Figure Skating Team Event and Replacements/Substitutions for Medical Reasons

Team Eventq

Individuals

It is Piseev who announced Kovtun as the alternate, but now I cant seem to find the article. Maybe it will be posted in RF page.

Thanks for clarifying! On some level even though the Russian fed would be cheating with Plushenko's inevitable and predictable "withdrawal due to injury" at least it would let Maxim compete even though its Plushenko scooping up the easy medal.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
People seem to be saying otherwise. Which is it? I hope that is not allowed as we all know the Russian fed would exploit - ahem, "benefit from" - that.

has there been a written or rule which states no replacement ?
Zhenya has had injuries before, so we cannot rule he can pull out of any given time even after teh Team event
probably you dont know all countrie have their reserves and alternates list too :rolleye:

AlexNY

Spectator
@seniorita;
You are right, the Piseev’s announcement was worded quite strangely. Instead of saying this one is # 1 and that one is # 2, he first introduced the names, and then said that Kovtun would be serving as an alternative # 1.
Here is the official statement from the Russian FS Federation website:
http://fsrussia.ru/news/1051_sostav-olimpijskoj-sbornoj-rossii-po-figurnomu-kataniyu/

Any idea why the men’s event has 2 alternatives while the rest – only one? Just think about the possible schemes…..

By the way, meanwhile the Junior Nationals are taking place in Russia; can’t wait to see the videos – and Adjan Pitkeev took the lead after the short program( meanwhile, Rodionova decided not to compete there).

Coriana

On the Ice
The Russian Fed may or may not be scheming, but I'll bet if Plushy has a decent skate in the team event, whatever he's thinking now, he'll insist on skating the singles.