Russia chooses Plushenko for Sochi Olympics | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Russia chooses Plushenko for Sochi Olympics

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
The Russian Fed may or may not be scheming, but I'll bet if Plushy has a decent skate in the team event, whatever he's thinking now, he'll insist on skating the singles.

Agreed. The team event will be a good opportunity for Plushenko to see how he is judged against the likes of Chan and Hanyu. While most of you believe that the judges will mark their PCS far ahead of Evgeny (rightfully so), I'm not convinced that will be the case since Plushenko is one of the most prominent athletes for the home country and will get a huge boost in his scores for that reason alone. If the judges mark him as most expect, I don't think he'll have any interest in skating the singles event.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Agreed. The team event will be a good opportunity for Plushenko to see how he is judged against the likes of Chan and Hanyu. While most of you believe that the judges will mark their PCS far ahead of Evgeny (rightfully so), I'm not convinced that will be the case since Plushenko is one of the most prominent athletes for the home country and will get a huge boost in his scores for that reason alone. If the judges mark him as most expect, I don't think he'll have any interest in skating the singles event.

I think the generosity from Cup of Russia shown towards Russian skaters and holding back of non-Russian skaters will be applied. If Plushenko goes clean, he will certainly get higher PCS than skaters who have more complex programs who go clean or make minor errors.

People are naive though to think that the Russian federation won't exploit the rules, if given the opportunity. Regardless of whether Plushenko does well or not in the Team event, I fully expect him to "withdraw due to injury" following his guaranteed team medal, regardless of whether or not he's legitimately injured.

It's as ridiculous as him being apparently too injured to do Euros 2014, but somehow able to supposedly land 2 quads and all other elements in a test skate like 3 days later. We're not fools, even though the Russian fed tries to play dumb.

Kunstrijdster

Rinkside
It's as ridiculous as him being apparently too injured to do Euros 2014, but somehow able to supposedly land 2 quads and all other elements in a test skate like 3 days later. We're not fools, even though the Russian fed tries to play dumb.

Did they claim that as the reason for not going to Euros though? I thought the reason given was to allow Plushenko to continue preparation without interruption.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Did they claim that as the reason for not going to Euros though? I thought the reason given was to allow Plushenko to continue preparation without interruption.

From what I've read, injury was cited, although some said he wasn't prepared. In any case, I can hardly see how 3 days makes a difference to one's preparation. And it's not like Kovtun/Voronov were given that liberty, having to show what they were made of 3 days earlier in a competitive environment at that. It's apparent that Plushenko wanted his skate to be in a controlled environment where he was judged by Russian officials, rather than another competition where he could potentially lose again (and as per the results, certainly would have lost to Fernandez, and quite possibly Voronov as well).

wallylutz

Medalist

What we can agree on is the uncertainty regarding who will ultimately skate for Russia in the individual event, that remains an open question at this time. I don't think Russian Fed knows it for sure either and I suspect they too are adopting a wait-and-see approach and this isn't solely based on Plushenko's health. Put it this way, this is set up so that the Russians have "purchased" an option on their hands for the Olympic Men's event. They could redeem the option or they could let it expire.

On the other hand, many are convinced, including Mathman, that Plushenko will get 85+ PCS just for showing up and provided he landed most of his jumps. I am not convinced. For one, Plushenko's FS is beyond bad, it's totally empty when you ignore the required elements for a moment. If you think Joe Inman's warning back in 2010 was sort of jumping the gun, well, definitely not now. Even by 2006, Plushenko's in-between have deteriorated so much that ISU decided to use footage of his Olympic performance as educational tools for the judges' training as example of what not to do in a program after he supposedly retired. If his 2006 Olympic program was substandard, well, his 2014 version surely isn't getting any better. The fact is his program will be analyzed to death prior to the actual Olympic Games with all these talks about him and the Russian men's sole entry - it doesn't help. Judges are some of the most avid fans in this sport, you bet all of them are following this Russian saga very closely. More importantly, the Olympic isn't just any ISU event and certainly not CoR. The ISU is keen in avoiding yet another Olympic controversy, no matter what it may be. The IOC has a new President from Germany who will not be eager to see one the most colorful sport in the Winter Games to be on the spotlight again for Shenanigans. Already, these scheming and shenanigans re: Plushenko's participation has already generated a lot of media attention and interests. In an Olympic year with an eager international media looking for juicy stories, there is just too many eyes and cameras around in an overly sensitive time. The judges at the men's event know they are being watched, probably even being spied on. I recall even back in Vancouver Games, the Korean judge on the Ladies event was spied by Japanese fans or media who took videos of her marking Mao Asada, purposely showing her undermarking the Japanese and allowing her to be identified on the protocol. If anything, spying will be even worse in Sochi.

The bottom line is FS at the Olympic is a completely different animal. You can't understand unless you lived through an actual experience. I was in Vancouver for 2 weeks, I know - it was unlike any other FS event or World Championship I have been to.

What I also noticed between Vancouver and Sochi is the expected attendance in Sochi is likely not at the same level as Vancouver. In Vancouver, the prices for the tickets of all FS events were outrageous. Think about, during the Compulsory Dance, there was about 10000 people in attendance, each was holding a ticket with a face value somewhere between $300-$450 when in reality, short of the corporate sponsors who gave out tickets to employees or guests, many people paid way more than the face value to obtain theirs on the Exchange. By the time of Ladies Free Skate, we were talking about approximately for $3000 / seat and those weren't even the best seating. Needless to say, Vancouver Figure Skating tickets were long sold out before the event and many had to try to get one from the official Exchange for a much higher price. Joannie Rochette had trouble securing seats for her hometown friends who were there to support her and the Turkish entry for ladies had to go to public to beg for tickets for her parents who simply couldn't afford the prices of the official Exchange. Attendance in Vancouver was mostly enthusiastic Canadians, with substantial number of Americans and many international spectators who otherwise wouldn't come watching a Figure Skating event if not for the Olympic. I recall seating before 2-3 really obnoxious Swiss men who were there primarly to watch hockey and would not have come if not for Stephane Lambiel. They were grown men yet making fun of skaters' outfit in sexist and homophobic comments, very annoying. I also recall seating besides a Polish couple who knew Halina Gordon-Poltorak. Tamara Moskvina and Alexander Mishin were nearby for another event, can't recall which one. All in all, it was not a surprise that Vancouver as whole had a partisan crowd.

In comparison, Sochi still reports 30% of the tickets unsold despite much lower prices than Vancouver. Putin claims Sochi is the most affordable Games in years yet despite that, many Russians can't afford to go. Vancouver was in a major urban center, easily accessible. Sochi is in the middle of nowhere, far from the major urban centers in Russia say Moscow or St. Petersburg. As a result, the spectators will likely be filled with more international spectators, mostly from corporate sponsor tickets and international spectators who can afford it. They will likely squeeze out a lot of ordinary Russians who can't neither afford the travel or the cost of the tickets and lodging. This would explain why despite the much lower ticket prices, 30% of the tickets remain unsold today in Sochi.

It remains to be seen just how well Plushenko can skate, I think the Russian Fed overplayed their hands by creating so much attention on Plushenko before the Games which may end up hurting him, more than it helps.

seniorita

Record Breaker
On the other hand, many are convinced, including Mathman, that Plushenko will get 85+ PCS just for showing up and provided he landed most of his jumps.
The fact is his program will be analyzed to death prior to the actual Olympic Games with all these talks about him and the Russian men's sole entry - it doesn't help.

Emm, will they analyse the program he has not yet skated on the event he is supposed to get marks for, prior to Olympics? Really? Thats an interesting media attention. Will it happen only for Plushy? And he has gotten internationally over 85 before.

Mr Mathman has a crystal ball!:yay:
Plushenko generates media interest since he won his first Euros in 2000. Internet is your friend here. I havent seen an article apart two of specific sites who imply stuff -and I m not surprised -that question any scandal for him going. Not an outcry because they send the silver national medalist instead of gold. I didnt see figure skating hurt after VAncouver men and that got certainly great media attention.

I m not sure why there is any need to compare the Games, Vancouver had fantastivc Olys, let Russia have theirs now. Putting down Olympic Games that have not happened yet doesnt make Vancouve's more magical. Russians are opening and closing the sales for figure skating in intervals, the first tickets costed 50 euros and they were sold out in Russia almost 6 months before the international sales. For long time now pairs and ladies free are sold out and on men they stayed now the A category. The prices are keeping the same (sorry 3000 dollars for figure skating is outrageous for any viewer and sport wont gain more fans) because you need a spectator pass to attach to your ticket, meaning you cannot sell illegaly any ticket to anyone if you dont accompany him , only through FantoFan with 30% commision or via Cosport. Sochi is convienet for Europe now, the trip for me was way cheaper than travelling to Vancouver, so I guess it depends where you live, I certainly appreciate I could buy cheap tickets and watch Olys.

Last edited:

gmyers

Record Breaker
Plushenkos program is not empty. That's just a lie proven false by Volvo cup videos.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Plushenkos program is not empty. That's just a lie proven false by Volvo cup videos.

Um, did you not see his SP and FS at Russian nationals? Even some of his own supporters admitted that the SP was garbage in terms of choreo, and the FS without the successful jumps fell flat. It's like he absolutely abandoned his choreographic progress displayed at Euros 2012 and reverted back to his formulaic basic choreography circa 2006 -- probably knowing that he could skate any basic choreo program on Sochi ice and be given high PCS marks. I'm hoping the ISU judges don't pull another Cup of Russia and simply grant him high PCS marks if he goes clean, because his programs aren't much of an improvement from his 2006 LP (which was probably his worst program in terms of content outside of the elements).

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
The fact is his program will be analyzed to death prior to the actual Olympic Games with all these talks about him and the Russian men's sole entry - it doesn't help. Judges are some of the most avid fans in this sport, you bet all of them are following this Russian saga very closely. More importantly, the Olympic isn't just any ISU event and certainly not CoR. The ISU is keen in avoiding yet another Olympic controversy, no matter what it may be.

You are correct, but there is "controversy" from the perspective of a knowledgable skating fan and "controversy" from the perspective of a casual viewer. If Plushenko is clean and wins and Chan falls once to come in second, it may be a controversy here because it would mean Plushenko was likely overmarked in PCS. However, in a broader sense it would not be controversial to the general public because they prefer a clean performance winning over a visibly flawed one. I don't feel that the ISU is concerned about this type of controversy. What they don't want is a skater falling multiple times and beating several clean performances.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
My main issue with Plushenko is that he didn't have the courage to compete at Europeans. I lost respect for him because of that.

I agree. It will be all about Plushenko, endless fluffs, endless commentators focus (especially in the countries where commentators know nothing about figure skating and hence they will want to focus on something that they could rant about). It is sad that other skaters won't receive proper attention. We have seen this already in 2010, and already then I was sick of it. I guess it is time for part 2. Some people like it and anticipate it, some don't. I don't.

That's what bothers me too. Friends have already asked me about him after media articles…. who he is… why he could have a secret test skate etc. I tell them my view and send them links to what I think are the best men's figure skating performances this season.

On the other hand, many are convinced, including Mathman, that Plushenko will get 85+ PCS just for showing up and provided he landed most of his jumps. I am not convinced. For one, Plushenko's FS is beyond bad, it's totally empty when you ignore the required elements for a moment.

I think Mathman is right. When time comes and the judges sit there feeling the love from the audience, hearing the crowd shouting they will reward him big. I've seen interviews with judges praising Plushenko. Judges are humans too :laugh:

No one knows for sure what Plushenko's free skate program will be. He changes a lot :confused:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
You are correct, but there is "controversy" from the perspective of a knowledgable skating fan and "controversy" from the perspective of a casual viewer. If Plushenko is clean and wins and Chan falls once to come in second, it may be a controversy here because it would mean Plushenko was likely overmarked in PCS. However, in a broader sense it would not be controversial to the general public because they prefer a clean performance winning over a visibly flawed one. I don't feel that the ISU is concerned about this type of controversy. What they don't want is a skater falling multiple times and beating several clean performances.

I thoroughly agree. The casual Olympic viewer wants to be entertained without seeing mistakes (which is why Brown, even without a quad and only 1 clean 3A in his FS, has become hugely popular). That being said, the nuances of the sport need to be upheld. Hanyu/Chan with a fall should still score higher than most other skaters, even if it's hard to justify. That being said, it's unlikely that the Olympic champion will have a fall, which makes me nervous for Hanyu's 4S. Chan has a history of errors including falls, but seems to have gotten it together this season at least in terms of staying on his feet (hopefully he can maintain that).

gmyers

Record Breaker
Um, did you not see his SP and FS at Russian nationals? Even some of his own supporters admitted that the SP was garbage in terms of choreo, and the FS without the successful jumps fell flat. It's like he absolutely abandoned his choreographic progress displayed at Euros 2012 and reverted back to his formulaic basic choreography circa 2006 -- probably knowing that he could skate any basic choreo program on Sochi ice and be given high PCS marks. I'm hoping the ISU judges don't pull another Cup of Russia and simply grant him high PCS marks if he goes clean, because his programs aren't much of an improvement from his 2006 LP (which was probably his worst program in terms of content outside of the elements).

I am totally past the idea that his Choreo and interpretation and performance can be defended or explained. The idea that his programs are empty of choreo and int performance I totally disagree and it can be proven is false. Even 2014 lp rus Nats was poor but not empty.

seniorita

Record Breaker

Yes that was the reason. Plushenko never cited any injury either for his loss or him skipping Euros. Mishin asked for him to be released from team Euro and RF agreed.

This decision was made at my request. The Board agreed with my arguments that the preparations for the season started late, now we will work to increase endurance, making long test skatings, primarily Free.

Also Euros is not 3 days, they appear there at least from Monday morning and until the Sunday Gala and I m not a skater, I dont know when they are back on training after a competition. So it is at least 8 days, this is an important week that maybe he couldnt afford this time to lose.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I am totally past the idea that his Choreo and interpretation and performance can be defended or explained. The idea that his programs are empty of choreo and int performance I totally disagree and it can be proven is false. Even 2014 lp rus Nats was poor but not empty.

Well we don't literally mean empty. There is no skater at any level whose program can be deemed as ENTIRELY "empty". But at an elite level compared to most other programs, Plu's 2014 programs are totally lacking intricacy and are choreographically a step way back to his 2006 LP which was arguably the most empty program I've seen outside of the elements. Take out the elements and I guarantee that most skaters would be able to do these programs, since they're essentially just stroking around the rink with easy three turns and Mohawks as the main "transitions".

Didn't Buttle supposedly choreograph for him? If so, he's apparently abandoned whatever choreo he did do for him.

LRK

Record Breaker
No, I think Buttle choreographed something for Liza and/or Gachinsky?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Gachinski's much-maligned SP was done by Buttle, and Tuktamysheva's even-more maligned LP was also done by him.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I could see Plushenko being gifted in PCS, say high 8s and a PCS in the high 80s, but no more than that unless he really knocks it out of the park. That said if Plushenko somehow skated 2 clean programs with quad combos (which you never know, he is an insane competitor) and Hanyu and Chan both fell more than once, and Takahashi and any other potentially better skaters didnt skate great, the judges would probably do whatever they had to do to make sure he won, even if he arguably still wouldnt deserve to. Just for the sake of their own physical safety.