Question about Elena Liashenko and triple loop | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Question about Elena Liashenko and triple loop

gkelly

Record Breaker
No, there's no rule requiring that any jumps be done within a certain amount of time in minutes/seconds.

The problem seems to be with how the computer program applies the rules that 1) ladies may do a maximum of 7 jump elements and 2) one of those must include an axel-type jump.

More reasonable programming would allow it to not-count in the ump-element limit any jump that has to receive 0 credit for instance because it's a repeat non-combo triple or because there was only one jump slot left and no required axel had been performed yet.

Similarly, more reasonable programming could give credit for the first jump in an extra combination even if the allowed number of jump combos had already been passed. (Plyushenko at GPF)

thvudragon

On the Ice
Ptichka said:
TVUDragon, I know the rationale for this. I just thought that a jump that got no credit in the first place (the last toe) should not have counted towards the jump limit. It's just a question of getting the exact working of the rule. And, since computer is used for CoP, of translating those rules into exact algorithms.
Ohh, okay, my fault for not understanding your post :D.

The rule states that such a jump will still count as an element, that is why it was counted, but given a zero value. I actually agree with the rule. Skaters should be smarter in planning their programs.

TV

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Joe, even though the jumps do NOT have to be performed within a certain time limit, there is the whole thing about the jumps done in the 2nd half of the program getting 10% more credit. As to what the judges vs. the "troika" do -- the judges actually have to grade all elements that are executed regardless of whether they will be counted. Also, "troika" does not have to count jumps or time anything -- that's what the computer is there for. So, you sometimes get the following: troika enters the jump (for example that non-counted 2A from Onda's program), judges mark it, and THEN the computer says -- sorry guys, it's all for nothing, I'm not gonna count this. In fact, if you look at some of the Grand Prix scores, you see that all those non-counted jumps have the judges' marks next to them.