Girls - 2014 JR. Russian Championships | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Girls - 2014 JR. Russian Championships

hanca

Record Breaker
Polina Tsurskaya was born in July so will be Junior only from 2015-2016.

Source: article wrote by sports journalist and commentator Massimiliano Ambesi for www.neveitalia.it

Maybe that's for the best because even now they have plenty of girls for the limited amount of spots. Luckily next year is pretty weak for new coming to age Russian junior ladies (the best one from the next season new comers is Kolomiets and she placed 10th at junior nationals), so the current season's crop will probably not have to share the spots with any additional skaters. My guess would be that Sakhanovich, Sotskova, Proklova, Medvedeva, Yushchenko will get 2 spots for sure, and then Kayumova and Ogoreltseva possibly 2 spots but if someone better just pops out over the summer and they don't deliver at their first event, they may loose their second spot. And Tsurskaya can wait when this whole lot of them move to seniors and then it will be her turn. Win-win situation.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Maybe that's for the best because even now they have plenty of girls for the limited amount of spots. Luckily next year is pretty weak for new coming to age Russian junior ladies (the best one from the next season new comers is Kolomiets and she placed 10th at junior nationals), so the current season's crop will probably not have to share the spots with any additional skaters. My guess would be that Sakhanovich, Sotskova, Proklova, Medvedeva, Yushchenko will get 2 spots for sure, and then Kayumova and Ogoreltseva possibly 2 spots but if someone better just pops out over the summer and they don't deliver at their first event, they may loose their second spot. And Tsurskaya can wait when this whole lot of them move to seniors and then it will be her turn. Win-win situation.

Turskaya isn't taht big of a talent, she is an Evgenia Medvedeva kind of skater, same 3-3 jumps with added 3-3-3 but same slow skating skills
the next big talent will be in 2016-17 season with the likes of Anastasia Gubanova and many more eligible for JGP.

Why didn't Anna Pogorilaya compete? I remember reading an interview with her where she said that should she fail to make the Euros/Olympics/Worlds team, she will try to do Junior Worlds again.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Why didn't Anna Pogorilaya compete? I remember reading an interview with her where she said that should she fail to make the Euros/Olympics/Worlds team, she will try to do Junior Worlds again.

I don't see the point of her going back to Junior Worlds. She got silver already last year, and the chances of getting a silver this year is low. If she competed at junior nationals, she probably didn't make the team. It's a smart choice I think.

She got bronze. But you're right. The chances of her making the team again were very low, given how high the level was. And her SB score should easily qualify her for 2 GP events next season so she will have an opportunity to prove herself again, internationally. I hope she does two international competitions as well, for extra ranking points. I was just surprised because she did say in an interview that trying for Junior Worlds again was her 'plan B.' She must have reconsidered.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Where can we find protocols? I'm very interested in discovering why Sotskova didn't win the FS...

hanca

Record Breaker
Turskaya isn't taht big of a talent, she is an Evgenia Medvedeva kind of skater, same 3-3 jumps with added 3-3-3 but same slow skating skills
the next big talent will be in 2016-17 season with the likes of Anastasia Gubanova and many more eligible for JGP.

It is unfair to compare Tsurskaya to Medvedeva, Proklova and Sakhanovich. Tsurskaya is younger; she will be age eligible 2 seasons later than those girls became eligible. She still has a time to develop. I am sure that when her time comes, she will be ready. Besides, at the nationals Tsurskaya beat some of the ladies that are already eligible, such as Yushenko, Kajumova, Ogoreltseva. I would say that this clearly shows how talented she is! By the way, where was Medvedeva, Proklova and Sakhanovich 2 years ago? They were showing that they were good, but they were not beating girls that are one or two seasons older (such as Radionova and Lipnitskaya).

hanca

Record Breaker

She was injured and therefore did not compete at junior nationals. The selection was done according to results from the nationals.

zamboni step

Final Flight
Where can we find protocols? I'm very interested in discovering why Sotskova didn't win the FS...

http://fsrussia.ru/upl/ckeditor/1683558.pdf Oddly enough Sotskova's 3-3 in the FS wasn't called as UR, I thought that must have been the main difference in both programs, UR on the 3L in the short, UR on the 3-3 in the FS.

I think Sakhanovich deserved to win here because her power and ice coverage is better, also her usage of the second half bonus totally blows away most content. But the higher PCS I don't understand at all, Sotskova and Proklova are worthy of the best PCS of all the skaters here by a decent margin.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Oh, now I can see: Sakhanovich has 5 jumps in the second half! This reminds me of Ando's wins in 2010-2011 ;) I still don't understand the highest PCS...

oleada

Record Breaker
http://fsrussia.ru/upl/ckeditor/1683558.pdf

I think Sakhanovich deserved to win here because her power and ice coverage is better, also her usage of the second half bonus totally blows away most content. But the higher PCS I don't understand at all, Sotskova and Proklova are worthy of the best PCS of all the skaters here by a decent margin.
You may have answered your own question; power and ice coverage are part of the PCS.

I think that Sakhanovich definitely deserves higher PCS than Sotskova. Sakhanovich's upper body movement is soft, elegant and refined. In her SP, she has an interesting element layout and good use of space. She skates with quite good flow. Sotskova uses her upper body quite a lot but it's like her arms are detached from the rest of her body whilst her back remains very stiff. Her basic skating is a bit heavy and she doesn't get as much glide and flow as Sakhanovich. Maybe I am missing something but I don't see anything Sotskova is particularly strong at and I think she is overmarked on the PCS both nationally and internationally.

She was injured and therefore did not compete at junior nationals. The selection was done according to results from the nationals.

That's too bad. Thanks for the info.

zamboni step

Final Flight
You may have answered your own question; power and ice coverage are part of the PCS.

Yes but I found almost everything else to be weaker than Sotskova, in the PCS side. At least at this event.

I think that Sakhanovich definitely deserves higher PCS than Sotskova. Sakhanovich's upper body movement is soft, elegant and refined. In her SP, she has an interesting element layout and good use of space. She skates with quite good flow. Sotskova uses her upper body quite a lot but it's like her arms are detached from the rest of her body whilst her back remains very stiff. Her basic skating is a bit heavy and she doesn't get as much glide and flow as Sakhanovich. Maybe I am missing something but I don't see anything Sotskova is particularly strong at and I think she is overmarked on the PCS both nationally and internationally.

Sakhanovich may have softer upper body movement but it has less relevance to the music, and her choreography has less coherence in terms of a proper structure as well as less detail and less of a concept than Sotskova's. I also find Sotskova's lines and transitions to be better. I agree Sakhanovich has a more interesting jump layout in the short and in the free I don't find her jumping passes to be as cluster bombed as Miki's, despite the fact it's 30 seconds shorter. If we're going to talk about backs, Sakhanovich does have quite jarring posture on the landing of her jumps.

Sakhanovich deserves higher marks for SS and close to equal marks for IN. But everything else I believe Sotskova is better at right now in terms of PCS.

This is coming from someone who prefers Sakhanovich as a skater. Also, what about Proklova? ;)

MsLiinaLii

Final Flight
I love her, I didn't like her at first because I'm biased and was having Julia flashbacks but after looking past that...wow. She incorporates so much ballet into that SP, her positions are superb! :love:
Her SP gives me life! It is really ballet on ice and I haven't had that feeling before. She is so light and just wow!

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Hey guys speaking of PCS, I would rank Proklova 1st. She has the best SS, transitions, and musicality. She does not appear to be slow either.

PLUS, her jumps are not small relative to her size. I can clearly see her in the air not like other junior small sized ladies barely off the ice. She also has great 2A. She could easily do Julia's 2A with her tiny body but she does not. I even love her more than Radionova.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Hey guys speaking of PCS, I would rank Proklova 1st. She has the best SS, transitions, and musicality. She does not appear to be slow either.

PLUS, her jumps are not small relative to her size. I can clearly see her in the air not like other junior small sized ladies barely off the ice. She also has great 2A. She could easily do Julia's 2A with her tiny body but she does not. I even love her more than Radionova.

Proklova's speed and skating skills are amazing, her flexibility is a bit Julia like
she is more unstable though compared to Julia was in her age but I agree she has a good 2A
even more remarkable as Goncharenko is her coach ( known to teach bad axel techniques )

PCS ranking should be

Sotskova
Proklova
Gubanova
Yushenko

Sakhanovich
Medvedeva

zamboni step

Final Flight
Proklova's speed and skating skills are amazing, her flexibility is a bit Julia like
she is more unstable though compared to Julia was in her age but I agree she has a good 2A
even more remarkable as Goncharenko is her coach ( known to teach bad axel techniques )

All of the top Russian Ladies skating right now other than Mishin students, Maria and Proklova have pretty poor double axel technique.