Gold goes for the Gold | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Gold goes for the Gold

louisa05

Final Flight
I think Gracie should do the LP.
I was not digging the pearls. Seems like she borrowed them from mom.

I was thinking Grandma. Plenty of people my age and younger that I know have kids Gracie's age. And I am here to say that those pearls would make me feel old.

Ashley and Polina are at home training. There is an advantage to not winning Nationals before the Olympics.

ForeverFish

Medalist
Gracie is so well-spoken and gracious (pardon the pun) in the video. She only said that she would LIKE to do the FS in the team event; personally, I agree with those who've said that Ashley should do the short and Gracie should do the long. That way, the wealth is spread as much as possible and neither girl is faced with the pressure of being solely responsible for their team's scores. And I like the pearls. They might be old-fashioned, but they're still charming. :)

Since the USFS is holding their pre-Olympic media summit this week, it seems like all of the athletes are taking some time out of training. Plus, Frank Carroll is in Taipei with Denis Ten this week -- does anyone know who's coaching Gracie in his absence?

Selene

On the Ice
IMO Gracie isn't going to medal but it is fine for her to have the podium as a goal. She will get there, if not in Sochi.

It's fine for her to have a goal of winning a medal at the Olympics. But to state that her chances are as good as any skater's chances? That's completely delusional and indicates that she has an overinflated opinion of the quality of her skating. Yuna, Mao, the Russians, etc. are all better skaters and have much better shots of winning a medal than Gracie, whose only accomplishment as a senior skater is a single US title. She seems to have absolutely no sense of humility, considering those unbearably arrogant fluff pieces NBC ran about her at Nationals and her recent statement.

alexeifan

On the Ice
It's fine for her to have a goal of winning a medal at the Olympics. But to state that her chances are as good as any skater's chances? That's completely delusional and indicates that she has an overinflated opinion of the quality of her skating. Yuna, Mao, the Russians, etc. are all better skaters and have much better shots of winning a medal than Gracie, whose only accomplishment as a senior skater is a single US title. She seems to have absolutely no sense of humility, considering those unbearably arrogant fluff pieces NBC ran about her at Nationals and her recent statement.

I aree, I think she can be arrogant at times. It is true however she has as good of a chance as anyone. You never know what could happen. The top favorites could make mistakes you just never know. She shouldn't just say: "I have no chances to medal" and rule herself out like that. But yes it's unlikely she'll medal.

Kind of liked the pearls and I'm no grandma yet. The classy look is refreshing as opposed to what I see on tv sometimes by others her age.

As far as the team, I think it would be smartest to have Gracie do the FS. Can't believe I'm saying that after the GP season she has had, but Ashley has had a few bad FS skates this year and with the new program it's risky. However, it's be nice for Ashley to do her S&D FS before the individual round, but it'd mostly be nice for her and not the team.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
That interview, if I were to guess, was likely done while she was in NYC shortly after Nationals (when she skated on the Today show -- I think it was the Monday after Nationals), the WSJ offices are right down the street from 30 Rock, so it would have been a quick-and-easy interview for Gracie.

So it's not like she had a huge interruption in her training to do this interview. Jay Leno is in Burbank, I think, so that wouldn't have been a huge interruption either.

In fact, Jason Brown would likely have the greatest amount of time away from training (though not that long) for a media appearance since he will be flying from Colorado Springs to Los Angeles on Friday to appear on Arsenio Hall's show (and I think he's doing a few other interviews while he's in the area).

LeCygne

Final Flight

Of course she has to be positive and say that she has a good chance. That's the mentality of a champion, whether or not everyone else thinks it's realistic. Look at Polina Edmunds. Seems like she and her mom have had this plan of her going to Sochi since she was very young, and she always believed she would get there, but did anyone else ever think she had even an outside shot of making it?

Gracie's use of the phrase "as good as anyone's chances" seemed more like a general statement, along the lines of "ice is slippery, anything can happen," especially in a conversation with someone without a deep knowledge of figure skating. Of course she doesn't actually believe that every single skater going to the Olympics has the same equal chance of winning/medaling and she wasn't going to break down her chances against the Russians, Yu-Na, Mao, etc. right then and there. She acknowledged that there are the veterans (past OGM and OSM) and the newcomers and even put herself on the side of the newcomers. Absolutely nothing she has said or done so far has been "completely delusional," rather she has been poised and optimistic in all her interviews.

With regard to a "sense of humility," I watched a bunch of the press conferences from Nationals, and compared to Gracie and Polina, I noticed that Mirai was significantly less confident, even though she's the one with the most international experience and success. She kept going on about "I haven't always been the most consistent skater, but under pressure, I think I've gotten the job done... most of the time..." As if reminding the USFSA about her past sub-par seasons was going to help her case. She could have insisted on putting the past behind her and concentrating on the upward trend in her last two competitions where she skated cleanly, but instead her whole attitude was "Oh I hope they pick me, I hope I've done enough" whereas Polina distinctly downplayed her lack of experience and said "This is the night that we had to prove ourselves, and I did that." I know people love Mirai for her candidness, honesty, and her charm, but really, humility did her no favors in this case. How is the federation supposed to have faith in you when you don't even have faith in yourself?

R.D.

Record Breaker
It's fine for her to have a goal of winning a medal at the Olympics. But to state that her chances are as good as any skater's chances? That's completely delusional and indicates that she has an overinflated opinion of the quality of her skating.

Nah...actually, I happen to agree with her here. It IS open field, dependent on who shows up that night. I don't think folks should underestimate what Gold is capable of...

Reminds me of when Wagner said the 2012 title was hers to lose. Well, like her or not, she turned out to be right...

alexeifan

On the Ice
I agree I was a little disappointed in how Mirai handled that press conference question. It's not like Mirai has had a bunch of disastrous programs. Usually it's just a spin she has messed up or a fall. So she really isn't as inconsistent as some say. She just hasn't been a superstar like many have hoped. She should have just said she's been consistent when it counted and that's it.

Puchi

On the Ice
It's fine for her to have a goal of winning a medal at the Olympics. But to state that her chances are as good as any skater's chances? That's completely delusional and indicates that she has an overinflated opinion of the quality of her skating.

You're right, she should have said "My chances of medalling are slim to none, shall we go on with this interview?"

HalfTriple

Match Penalty
To Gracie,
my dear, time to focus on your training. Enough with media.

BTW, I am a bit more optimistic about Gracie, though I was first very skeptical about her podium. Gracie can be a very attractive commodity to international judges. What she has that which lacks in the Russian darlings are speed, power, adherence to the basic, and physiological balance. Now judges appear to have temporarily bent to Julia, their tolerance is unsustainable unless Julia is soon able to shed off her junior skating. In post Kim-Asada, it will be between Adelina and Gracie; with Polina who will join the rank sooner than later; I was impressed by her jump, despite shaky sometimes. best quality in the lot. Well trained. In Sochi, all Gracie has to do is land triples and demonstrate her potential to represent the ladies figure skating. Judges will love her and Polina.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
Question: For the team event, who gets the medals? The entire country's team, or just the skaters that participate?

I've been wondering about this too.

That interview, if I were to guess, was likely done while she was in NYC shortly after Nationals (when she skated on the Today show -- I think it was the Monday after Nationals), the WSJ offices are right down the street from 30 Rock, so it would have been a quick-and-easy interview for Gracie.

So it's not like she had a huge interruption in her training to do this interview. Jay Leno is in Burbank, I think, so that wouldn't have been a huge interruption either.

In fact, Jason Brown would likely have the greatest amount of time away from training (though not that long) for a media appearance since he will be flying from Colorado Springs to Los Angeles on Friday to appear on Arsenio Hall's show (and I think he's doing a few other interviews while he's in the area).

It is interesting that only Gracie and Jason seemed to have gotten high-profile interview gigs so far since Nationals (Leno being the biggest). Or did I miss anyone else?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Question: For the team event, who gets the medals? The entire country's team, or just the skaters that participate?

99% sure, IIRC, that only the skaters who actually compete in the team event would receive team medals.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I've been wondering about this too.

It is interesting that only Gracie and Jason seemed to have gotten high-profile interview gigs so far since Nationals (Leno being the biggest). Or did I miss anyone else?

My understanding it is just those who actually compete so a maximum of six indivduals/teams per team. Or six competitor (team or individual depending on the event ie. 2 skaters if it is dance or pairand single for isingles. But you could have w pair teams and w dance teams and one of each the individuals etc. So if you didn't skate no medal.

RobinA

On the Ice

Arrogant? Delusional? She's giving a line to the press and putting her best face forward. I'm quite sure her team has a perfectly reasonable understanding of her chances at the Olympics. Would it be better if she came out with the old female-skater adage, "I just want to skate my best and have a good time." God forbid a female should state that she thinks she could actually win. Yeesh.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
I wouldn't worry about her neglecting her training. Don't forget who is captain of the S.S. Gold heading into Sochi. Frank is great about managing skaters. He'll allow Gracie to do interviews as long as it isn't interfering with her training...if it does interfere, he'll drop the hammer. This isn't his first time going to the Olympics with a high profile athlete...he knows what he's doing.

As for Gracie's chances at a medal, I do think she's behind a fair number of skaters (Yu-Na, Mao, Carolina, both Russians) but it is unlikely everyone will skate their best. If she can put out two programs like she did at nationals, I think she has an outside-outside shot at bronze but I could see her coming in 4th or 5th as long as she skates well. Let's be honest, no one from the US ladies has a good chance at a medal right now; Ashley and Gracie are outside shots at best...Polina can stay in the top 10 if she skates well but the event would have to be a splatfest for her to place in the top 5.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
We really need the olympics to start - less talk and more action lol. but seriously it is possible Gold could win BUT probably she would have to some other big guns falter. I think she is equal or better than the Russians and unlike them she has s urvived puberty. I fear Julia is too `weak`and too poor technicque to survive and ehr artistry is limited though she uses it well with the material she has right now. Gracie is packaged far better and seems far more sophisticated and mature than Julia. Though if Gold is 16 that would be one thing but if she is 18 okay maybe that would explain the maturity differences - I can`t remember how old gold is off the top of my head. But two years ; three years is a lot.

noskates

Record Breaker
I think Gracie is 19 - 18 at the youngest. I think it would be very weird if a skater was going into the Olympic competition and not aiming for a gold medal. Why would anyone say "oh, I know I can't win a medal but I'll skate the best I can!" Really? Not in this life and certainly not with Frank Carroll as your coach! IIRC Evan Lysacek was not projected to win the gold in Vancouver - but he did! And without a quad. Anything can happen. I honestly feel if everybody skates clean the bronze medal is up for grabs. If it's a splat-fest, anything can happen. But of the three I think Gracie has the best chance!!! Polina is amazing for her age but she doesn't have the polish! Ashley has the weight of the world on her shoulders at this point and the Mirai lovers putting juju on her......

bsfan

On the Ice
I think Gold and Edmonds will do well in the Olympics. They have the stars lineup for them. And Edmonds will do better than predicted.

ForeverFish

Medalist
Arrogant? Delusional? She's giving a line to the press and putting her best face forward. I'm quite sure her team has a perfectly reasonable understanding of her chances at the Olympics. Would it be better if she came out with the old female-skater adage, "I just want to skate my best and have a good time." God forbid a female should state that she thinks she could actually win. Yeesh.

ITA. How dare Gracie truthfully answer the question she was asked? From past experience, I've found that Selene will inevitably find something to criticize -- if Gracie plays the meek and humble ice-princess, she's accused of parroting PR lines from the USFSA; if she's bold about her chances, she's an arrogant narcissist. :rolleye:

Besides, people forget that she has a pretty good shot at an Olympic medal in the team event. And a medal is a medal.