Gold goes for the Gold | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Gold goes for the Gold

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
I agree about the over hype of Gold. She's good and can land a 3/3. But as a uber Kwan fan, I mean, she doesn't give me goosebumps, she doesn't make me want to tear up when she skates. She's fine, but not spectacular. The USFSA/NBC knows she is attractive, so they are hyping her to draw more viewers to the Olympics.

Honestly, I thought she was kind of forward on the Jay Leno show when she was about to juggle and the band starting drumming and she told them to stop. I don't know, just MHO.

ForeverFish

Medalist
I agree about the over hype of Gold. She's good and can land a 3/3. But as a uber Kwan fan, I mean, she doesn't give me goosebumps, she doesn't make me want to tear up when she skates. She's fine, but not spectacular. The USFSA/NBC knows she is attractive, so they are hyping her to draw more viewers to the Olympics.

Honestly, I thought she was kind of forward on the Jay Leno show when she was about to juggle and the band starting drumming and she told them to stop. I don't know, just MHO.

A little OT, but I think it was more of an "Aw, shucks, stop it" moment than an "Oh my God, you're so annoying. Stop" moment. It got some laughs out of the audience, so there's that. Her skating/hype not withstanding, Gracie carried herself very well on the show, being that it was her first time in the mainstream media spotlight.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty

of course an uber :rolleye:
but just as some can argue Kwan had average jumps, overrated presentation ability and only good in spirals

imo, Gracie is the most well rounded US lady skater, huge 3/3 jumps, speed, power and projects her presentation
I wouldn't be surprised if she becomes the first American lady to break the 200 mark
also being a hollywood classical beauty type doesn't hurt anyone's eyes ;)

I project the next quad , maybe 4 or 3 Gold World medals by Gracie and shatter the previous records by Kwan
that is how talented Gracie is, I haven't seen this much talent in a long time.

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
A little OT, but I think it was more of an "Aw, shucks, stop it" moment than an "Oh my God, you're so annoying. Stop" moment. It got some laughs out of the audience, so there's that. Her skating/hype not withstanding, Gracie carried herself very well on the show, being that it was her first time in the mainstream media spotlight.
Looking at it that way "aw shucks stop" does make sense, I didn't look at it from that angle.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
True that Wagner hasn't skated a clean FS, but she's certainly pulled in higher scores than Gold has. And she's going back to a FS that was very successful for her last season, so she should be comfortable with it. If anything, doing the FS in the team event would allow Wagner to get that extra comfort level going into the individual event. She's also been a huge player for Team USA over the past quad (and the past two seasons), and is more experienced than Gold, and might not have another chance to win an Olympic medal, so I think she deserves a guaranteed medal.

that doesn't mean going back to a previous FS will be successful, does that mean B/S will get successful with their old FD back ? lol
Gracie actually can score higher than Wagner, fact is Wagner is demoralized from the scandal hit US Nationals and has never skated a clean
FS, something others brag was her so called strong point. her PCS will be tanking in Sochi too and Gracie's will be elevated

R.D.

Record Breaker
As good as Gold might have been at Nationals, we still don't know if/how she'll hold up under Olympic pressure.

She can get a Sochi medal IF she skates to the best of her ability, but she is a long shot. It's probably too soon to say whether Gold has truly surpassed Wagner but they've probably never been on more even ground than they are now. Gold has a higher score ceiling and is quickly closing the gap on consistency (more due to Wagner losing hers). If they both skate their best, I expect Gold to pull ahead.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
LOL! Does anyone else believe this? Gracie will have to contend with Julia L., Elena Radionova and whatever other Russian baby ballerinas are waiting in the wings. And Polina Edmunds, too, for that matter. If, all of a sudden, she becomes consistent, she will be a contender, but not a consistent gold medalist. She is already 18. She will probably skate for four more years and then go to college. She will be lucky to win one World Championship. I think Michelle's record is safe.

of course an uber :rolleye:
but just as some can argue Kwan had average jumps, overrated presentation ability and only good in spirals

imo, Gracie is the most well rounded US lady skater, huge 3/3 jumps, speed, power and projects her presentation
I wouldn't be surprised if she becomes the first American lady to break the 200 mark
also being a hollywood classical beauty type doesn't hurt anyone's eyes ;)

I project the next quad , maybe 4 or 3 Gold World medals by Gracie and shatter the previous records by Kwan
that is how talented Gracie is, I haven't seen this much talent in a long time.

sky_fly said:
I project the next quad , maybe 4 or 3 Gold World medals by Gracie and shatter the previous records by Kwan.

Umm, Gracie would have to win 6 world championships, not to mention 9 more U.S. championships, to "shatter" Kwan's records. :)

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
LOL! Does anyone else believe this? Gracie will have to contend with Julia L., Elena Radionova and whatever other Russian baby ballerinas are waiting in the wings. And Polina Edmunds, too, for that matter. If, all of a sudden, she becomes consistent, she will be a contender, but not a consistent gold medalist. She is already 18. She will probably skate for four more years and then go to college. She will be lucky to win one World Championship. I think Michelle's record is safe.

Kwan ha never scored a 200+ , Gracie can surely top that
also Gracie has PCS and GOE advantage to most skaters
while she may not win 6 World titles, Kwan entered the senior level at a younger age
Gracie can still win two or more World Titles next quad

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
jut saw news article of Gracie being the New American sweetheart for the Winter Olympics with Lindsay Vonn out from reinjury
she is being touted as Gold medal contender by the media indeed :)

MUALover

Rinkside
while she may not win 6 World titles, Kwan entered the senior level at a younger age

But :confused:
Kwan skated in 6.0 code.

And which media touts Gracie as a gold medalist potential? Link please.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
jut saw news article of Gracie being the New American sweetheart for the Winter Olympics with Lindsay Vonn out from reinjury
she is being touted as Gold medal contender by the media indeed :)

Poor Ashley. One bad skate at Nationals and suddenly she's not a Gold medal contender in the media like Gracie?

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Poor Ashley. One bad skate at Nationals and suddenly she's not a Gold medal contender in the media like Gracie?

it didn't start from Nationals btw, Gracie was always getting more features this season than Wagner
you can't blame them , Gracie has a higher potential to win Gold in Sochi and she is way more marketeable than Wagner with her hollywood like beauty.
Jay Leno, Nytimes, Wall Street, Cover Girl , Gracie has been there you name it !

Wagner's stocks just plummeted further after nationals result
but she was never a gold medal contender like Gracie

icedinn

wishing ksenia/kirill happiness 4ever
On the Ice
it didn't start from Nationals btw, Gracie was always getting more features this season than Wagner
you can't blame them , Gracie has a higher potential to win Gold in Sochi and she is way more marketeable than Wagner with her hollywood like beauty.
Jay Leno, Nytimes, Wall Street, Cover Girl , Gracie has been there you name it !

Wagner's stocks just plummeted further after nationals result
but she was never a gold medal contender like Gracie

Uh... well American skaters are fine but I don't think that she's beautiful. Especially compared to other skaters like Elena Ilinykh or Yu Na.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Uh... well American skaters are fine but I don't think that she's beautiful. Especially compared to other skaters like Elena Ilinykh or Yu Na.

because she's a Grace Kelly dead ringer anyone ?
if Korpii is a Goddess with similar looks to GC then Gracie is actually more similar to Grace Kelly

icedinn

wishing ksenia/kirill happiness 4ever
On the Ice
Beauty in the eye of the beholder man!
Neither of them remind me of Grace Kelly.

delray1977

Rinkside
:rolleye: I know... I tell ya, I am going to be lighting a candle for Ashley all the way to the olympics.
I am also scared for Gracie. She does not need all that pressure and hype that sky_fly is giving her, god help her if she does not deliver because people are going to give her such agony.

Kwan skated only once under CoP. She got 175.30 at 2005 Worlds. Gracie has already beat that (188.03 at the 2013 World Team Trophy). Kwan's score was also beat by U.S. skaters Christina Gao, Caroline Zhang, Jennifer Kirk, Karen Chen, Alissa Czisny, Rachael Flatt, Kimmie Meissner, Mirai Nagasu, Ashley Wagner, and Sasha Cohen. ;)

Grace Kelly: http://www.lovemarks.com/media/image/grace_kelly_html.jpg