Has anyone see "The Jersey Boys"? | Golden Skate

Has anyone see "The Jersey Boys"?

skateluvr

Record Breaker
This music, Franki Valli and the four seasons was before my time. I know this musical did well on broadway. I wondered if heyang (a New Yorker?) saw this or if anyone has seen the current touring production. Richmiond, VA reviewer loved it. I'm wondering if I will enjoy the music, even though it is not part of the soundtrack of my life.

Anyone have a review? Thanks

heyang

Record Breaker
Nope, not a New Yorker. I worked in the city for 4 1/2 years and occasionally take a day trip into the city now.

I haven' seen Jersey Boys.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I went spur of moment. I'm very tired from all the loud music (had an mri today-banging-and needed some joy. I am very critical sometimes, as you guys know (point your toes !) but if this comes to your city, see it. Over 50, you'll know all the songs. Classic. So glad I went . 2 thumbs up!

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I saw it when it first opened. Now I'm not a fan of jukebox musicals or Frankie Valli, so perhaps I'm not the best judge. But unlike most of the jukebox musicals I've seen, it actually has a story which is interesting and the performances were all quite good. My Mom and Aunt, who went with me and are over 50, LOVED it. Provided that you are not paying premium Broadway tix prices I would say go and you'll probably enjoy it even if, like me, you're not necessarily a fan of the music. It's not the type of musical that depends on a Mega Big Star to work (unlike say The Boy from Oz, which totally depended on the charisma of Hugh Jackman--who was amazing in the part).

Jukebox musical--what a great term! I'll remember that. A new one that looks tantalizing is Beautiful (I think it's called), which is about Carole King. She spanned and excelled in two eras, the rock-'n'-roll times of the early sixties and the flower-child era of Judy Collins and James Taylor.

I wouldn't have predicted that I'd like the Four Seasons' music, because the whole falsetto idea is rather off-putting, but I actually loved them as a kid and love them still. I will probably not get to see the musical, but some of their songs still make my blood rush around: Dawn, Candy Girl, and Save It For Me most particularly. Maybe it's the interesting rhythm, which seems to accelerate until the listener becomes almost airborne. So maybe I'd like the musical.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I'd see it again. Mamma Mia and Man of La Mancha will be coming. I'm no Abba fan and did not like the movie, but maybe stage show has redeeming values. I really was no big Frankie Valli fan either but this touring group was spot on-very funny. Man of La Mancha is one I hope to see. but one never knows-wait and see. I adore Carol King. Tapestry is an album I sang to over and over again. How I wish I had piano lessons. She wrote great songs. A mega talent. I feel bad for kids today-auto tuned junk by and large.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Man of La Mancha is one of our alll time favorite musicals (did not like the movie version, however). Carole King is a gem. We saw her in concert with James Taylor as well (huge JT fan here). One of the most delightful concerts we've attended, ever!

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Mamma Mia works much better as a jukebox musical than as a movie (for one thing, no Pierce Brosnan!). The last two shows I saw were Motown, which had fantastic singing but one of the stupidest books I've ever had to sit through, and Kinky Boots, which I thought was very good but the audience acted like it was the second coming of Ethel Merman in Gypsy. Still, it's definitely worth seeing. Motown--I'd wait for twofers. :)

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
In the middle of Times Square is a little "island" that is actually Duffy Square. You'll see people sitting on rows (like an outdoor arena). It's known as The Red Steps (and a good place to hang out during warm weather--great for people watching) and is actually the TKTS booth. When a show doesn't sell out a performance, it will usually send the tickets to TKTS, who will then discount the tickets for that day's performance only, not for any future performance. So it's really luck of the draw for what's available. And what is "on the boards," as it is known, usually changes over the course of the day, so it's wise to have a few choices in mind if you use TKTS. It is HIGHLY unlikely you will see new and/or popular shows up on the board, but it's a great way to see shows that have been around for a while. The discounts now range from 20-50% (it used to truly be two for the price of one--hence, "twofers," but the 50% discount is now rare. Oh and there's a $4.50 service charge, which seems fair enough--TKTS has to get something out of it too!). It's a great way to see a show without paying full price. I know they have other locations, but I've always gone to the Times Sq. booth.

You can read about it here:
http://www.tdf.org/TDF_ServicePage.aspx?id=56

ice coverage

Record Breaker
How do twofers work, for same play?

In the middle of Times Square is a little "island" that is actually Duffy Square. You'll see people sitting on rows (like an outdoor arena). It's actually known as The Red Steps (and a good place to meet someone if you are hooking up in Times Square). That actually is the TKTS booth. When a show doesn't sell out a performance, it will usually send the tickets to TKTS, who will then discount the tickets for that day's performance, not for any future performance. So it's really luck of the draw for what's available. The discounts now range from 20-50% (it used to truly be two for the price of one--hence, "twofers"). It's a great way to see a show without paying full price. I know they have other locations, but I've always gone to the Times Sq. booth.

You can read about it here:
http://www.tdf.org/TDF_ServicePage.aspx?id=56

The TKTS booth is great for getting discounted tix -- BUT "twofers" refer to something else, AFAIK.

"Twofers" are promotional offers that allow purchase of two tickets (ETA: for the same play) for the price of one.
Such offers typically are printed on small coupon-like pieces of paper that are approx. the same size as a theater ticket and mimic the look of a theater ticket.
"Twofer" coupons often are available in various locations that have information for tourists: some hotel lobbies have them, for instance. (When you are standing in line at the TKTS booth, it is possible that marketing people [who are not affiliated with TKTS] will come by handing out promotional material for shows or restaurants or whatever. Sometimes they are handing out twofer coupons.)
I think "twofer" offers sometimes are available online as well -- from the official City of New York tourism site, for example.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Yup--those are the "official" twofers. I know schoolteachers used to get them, but I don't see them around much these days. We used to call TKTS the twofers booth (when it was just a bunch of trailers) and I guess the name has stuck with me.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Sample online source of some current "twofer" offers (ending Feb 6):

Yup--those are the "official" twofers. I know schoolteachers used to get them, but I don't see them around much these days. We used to call TKTS the twofers booth (when it was just a bunch of trailers) and I guess the name has stuck with me.

LOL, I remember the trailers. And I still have a bad habit of referring to TKTS as the "half-price" ticket booth -- which has become a misnomer, as you pointed out. I have to be careful when telling out-of-towners about TKTS, or I'll accidentally mislead them into expecting a 50% discount for everything.