Russian Olympic Team | Golden Skate

Russian Olympic Team

96skiluvr

On the Ice
The Russian Olympic Team was announced today! The is basically as expected:

Men: Evgeni Plushenko
Ladies: Julia Lipnitskaia, Adelina Sotnikova
Pairs: Tatiana Volosozhar/Maxim Trankov, Vera Bazarova/Yuri Larionov, Ksenia Stolbova/Fedor Klimov
Ice Dance: Ekaterina Bobrova/Dmitri Soloviev, Elena Ilinykh/Nikita Katsalapov, Victoria Sinitsina/Ruslan Zhiganshin

(So happy for Victoria and Ruslan :) )

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
I noticed Victoria and Ruslan for the first time when IceNetwork streamed the USA JGP in the 09-10 season for free. Thought they were awesome. Nice to see them get the third spot. Also happy with the ladies' selection (though I do feel bad for Liza).

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
No comment on the men's selection.

GO ADELINA! GO JULIA!! I'm very happy for them - but there was really no doubt those two would get the nod! :clap:

Any word on who the team alternates will be?

RABID

Final Flight
No comment on the men's selection.

GO ADELINA! GO JULIA!! I'm very happy for them - but there was really no doubt those two would get the nod! :clap:

Any word on who the team alternates will be?

I am sure THAT vacuum will be filled. :popcorn:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I'm disappointed in the men's selection, although I can't say I'm surprised.

It is what it is. If anything, the Russian men were pretty much slim pickings, so might as well go with the guy who will pull in the buzz/spectators/talkability/popularity, even if he hasn't actually earned it (in a competitive/public forum at least).

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
So did Kavaguti and Smirnov even do the test skate what happened are they finished for the year Can they still be considered for worlds Does anyone have an update on them I thought the test skate was just yesterday ia m so confuse d- i guess they knew K and S wouldn`t be ready and the new K and S did so well at Euros perhaps they said good by kavaguit and smirnov.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
But Sasha's leg can't take it. It was known even before this injury...

they aim to be back for 2014 Worlds, right now Smirnov is doing some jumps still mostly double
I think they want to end their careers on a high note, wont rule out still competing next season until they win a World medal

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So does that mean Adelina won't get a medal if Russia gets one in the team event? This is an odd move if you ask me. Was it to prevent friction between the girls, promote Julia, is Adelina injured, are they afraid of coaches fighting, maybe promoting competition between the two as they have all year, or do they think an Olympic medal will calm down Julia for the individuals and let her just skate to her full potential? So many ???'s for me.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
So does that mean Adelina won't get a medal if Russia gets one in the team event? This is an odd move if you ask me. Was it to prevent friction between the girls, promote Julia, is Adelina injured, are they afraid of coaches fighting, maybe promoting competition between the two as they have all year, or do they think an Olympic medal will calm down Julia for the individuals and let her just skate to her full potential? So many ???'s for me.

That's a bit unfair to Adelina, particularly when she's skated some very good short programs (and beat Julia in many short programs) this year. It also makes no sense why they would split up ice dance (obviously pairs is to rest up V/T), and not the ladies.

Antilopa

On the Ice
because of weak BS's free dance, it's obvious